Pea variety reviews 2021

bower
Reactions:

Re: Bulroyd Bean

Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:47 pm

This is a heritage pea from the UK which I grew last year, and got a big load of lovely large late green peas from my eight seeds. So it was sad not to get an enormous crop this year between the moose and the hurricanes putting an end to it. But I got enough to carry on and make more.
Like Biskopens they are at least 8 feet tall, and even later to flower at 66 days. They are really cold hardy though and last year I was picking pods (and fighting the birds for them) in November.
I believe these peas are meant to be planted in small numbers spaced among your earlier peas. They get a huge boost from the early peas going down, and take over the trellis to make a late crop. They were excellent as a shelly pea, and also as a dry pea. Largest of all the peas, they stand in easily for a bean. They seem to have extra thick pods, which may be an adaptation for cold weather in the late season.
I got a few F1 seeds from a cross with the Bush Capucijner to see if there's a short version of this pea in my future. But the Bulroyd Bean should be more widely grown, in places where there are not as many moose!
peaflr-bulroydb-367.JPG
peaflr-set-bulroydbean-699.JPG
ppod-bulroydbean.JPG
peas-bulroydbean-891.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

bower
Reactions:

Re: Irish Prean

Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 pm

Another heritage pea from Ireland, very similar in type to the Bulroyd Bean but even later to flower. Probably 70 days at least. If my season was long enough I'd grow them like BB, interspersed among an earlier pea crop, then watch them take over, high on the tall trellis.
Regrettably I only got a couple of pods from these, due to moose.
pea-IrishPrean-765.JPG
peaflr-IrishPrean-763.JPG
peaIrishPrean-776.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
temperate marine climate

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Re: Pea variety reviews 2021

Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 am

Agree about Shiraz, very pretty but the taste isn't great. Not much sweetness and a bit of an astringent tang. I grew them because they're easier to find amongst the foliage.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 am

I do appreciate the purple pod for being easy to spot!
I should admit that this year's pea trials were much less about tasting, and more about seeing the growth habit and other traits, and getting some seed for growing. The only fresh peas that I ate any number of besides Tai Chung were the Amplissimo Cross which I'll post about shortly. So it may not be at all fair to take my taste comments very seriously.
I probably need to develop my appreciation of pea tastes. I do notice if they are sweet or not. And there's a taste of "peas" that I like and look for, pretty generally found in all peas. :lol: Except perhaps some of the early pods this season hardly tasted as much like peas as just "very intensely green stuff". Maybe it was the heat, or they were just too immature and all the non-pea tastes were concentrated...
What I really need is a year of bounty with some time to sit back and sample fresh peas while enjoying the view.. 8-) By the end of the season I could probably describe what different peas taste like, instead of um, just "peas". ;)
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Re: Amplissimo Cross

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:20 am

This is a snow pea that I found among the pods of the Amplissimo I grew last year from Annapolis Seeds. The pods without parchment dried crinkly (aka "constricted pod" genes) so I knew they were different and decided to grow out to see if they were crossed.
Indeed these medium-tall plants produced all snow peas with no parchment, as you would expect since it is a recessive trait. It is also a much larger pod than the Amplissimo. The flowers are white, another recessive trait, and that suggests it was not an F1 cross in my field but an older cross that had found its way into the mix. It was not a stray seed of some other variety, since there was evidence of segregation. There was one plant or two that had given over to production of pod at the expense of peas, as some snows do, with few seeds produced per pod, while others produced a nice row. And the seeds themselves were clearly segregating for sweetness vs starch as well as size - the starchier the seed the smoother it will be, while wrinkliness reflects the sugar. They were all at least a bit smaller than the Amplissimo parent and a little more greenish than beige.
As a snow pea these rated second only to Calvert for a fresh nosh, not quite as sweet perhaps but still up to par. They were quite productive and early as well. Probably not to be a soup pea but they're worth growing again if I have room for an extra snow. I did select for full pods though, just in case.
peaAmplissimoX-flowers141.JPG
pea-AmplissimoX-pods685.JPG
pea-AmplissimoX-segs-511.JPG
pea-Amplissimo-segs-508.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Re: Magnolia Cross

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am

This is an F1 cross of unknown parentage that Nicky found in Sugar Magnolia in her garden, with lovely dark seeds. The plants were about 4 ft tall as far as I could tell among the moose chomps, flowering around 55 days and producing some nice fat green pods, with a few of them splashed with purple. Pods are a good bit larger than SM, and all had parchment as shown below, so must've crossed with a shelly. The seeds were all about the same size, green and wrinkly.
Again trying to get educated about pea genes, the F2 should make 1/4 snaps to 3/4 shellies and iirc the same 1/4 for purple pods, but I'm not sure how that will segregate or whether there will be some purple splash pods continuing - it is a very cool look!
pods-magnoliacross317.JPG
ppod-magnoliacross-878.JPG
pea-magnoliacross-491.JPG
pea-MagnoliaX-parchment-496.JPG
temperate marine climate

Nicky
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:58 pm

Oooh! Those turned out kinda cool! It is fun to get surprises!

bower
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:13 pm

@Nicky surprises are indeed a treat. Thanks for everything you share! :)
temperate marine climate

Return to “Garden Peas”