UKRAINE TRIBUTE GROW OUT, Interested?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
OhioGardener
Reactions:

Re: UKRAINE TRIBUTE GROW OUT, Interested?

Fri May 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Update: I heard back from Tania at Nikitovka and they expect to be back in business in a few weeks. They and their staff are safe. They're located in Irpin where there was a lot of fighting/damage and very close to Bucha where some of the worst atrocities occurred in the vicinity of Kyiv. I'll be putting in another order to help support their business. https://nikitovka.com/

Also FYI, I just happened to stumble on another vendor who has some different Ukrainian heirlooms among their inventory. Never ordered from them before, but they're anxious for new orders because of the effect of the war on many businesses. Amazingly the Ukrainian mail system has been working and I expect a package from them soon. https://organicseeds.top/
Debbie

MissS
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Russia destroyed the plant genetic bank in Kharkiv - one of the biggest in the world that stored more than 160 thousands varieties and hybrids from all over the world. It's great that people are trying to grow some of these seeds that are now lost, some are now gone forever. Not good messing with your food supply and wiping out seed banks. Genetics in food is very important.
~ Patti ~

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 3:37 pm

MissS wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:05 pm Russia destroyed the plant genetic bank in Kharkiv - one of the biggest in the world that stored more than 160 thousands varieties and hybrids from all over the world. It's great that people are trying to grow some of these seeds that are now lost, some are now gone forever.
I tried looking this up, and it seems there is some dispute about the extent of the damage. Some reports stated that the actual vaults were undamaged, but that just like many TJ members, they regrow some crops from the "library" each year to maintain fresh seeds, and their "farm" equipment was destroyed, making it difficult to maintain/plant crops going forward.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm

It sure looks pretty bad.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Patti ~

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 pm

The article said the bank of seeds is actually at another location.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 7:20 pm

MissS wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:48 pm It sure looks pretty bad.
Sue_CT wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 pm The article said the bank of seeds is actually at another location.
Sorry if my post was poorly worded, what I read is that the vaults are underground and were not damaged, however they did have a lot of seeds above ground for the periodic regrow, so those WERE destroyed as well as all their equipment. So it's bad, not as bad as it could have been.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Sorry, I should have posted the article I was referring to.
https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-ukr ... ia-1707864

bower
Reactions:

Sat May 21, 2022 10:52 am

I also googled this last night, and the wiki says they destroyed "two or three dozen thousand" seed samples, which is a small fraction of the collection, those being stored underground are still safe. Or as safe as anyone can say while the destruction continues. :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... of_Ukraine
Still it is really terrible if any of the seeds destroyed are unavailable from another source. Just a terrible crime!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Volvo
Reactions:

Mon May 23, 2022 1:01 am

OhioGardener wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:50 pm Update: I heard back from Tania at Nikitovka and they expect to be back in business in a few weeks. They and their staff are safe. They're located in Irpin where there was a lot of fighting/damage and very close to Bucha where some of the worst atrocities occurred in the vicinity of Kyiv. I'll be putting in another order to help support their business. https://nikitovka.com/

Also FYI, I just happened to stumble on another vendor who has some different Ukrainian heirlooms among their inventory. Never ordered from them before, but they're anxious for new orders because of the effect of the war on many businesses. Amazingly the Ukrainian mail system has been working and I expect a package from them soon. https://organicseeds.top/
Yes its been Very Sad whats been happening there for sure . I was planning on growing what seed i recieved from there this year but Life being as its been theres been not much of a Garden in my back yard and hopefully will plantout out their seed next Year..
Dinnerside Prayers have certainly included people that side of the World too ..

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Tue May 24, 2022 9:57 am

"There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?"

Thank you Spike! In these crazy times, a "pick me up" is always nice.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Tue May 24, 2022 10:30 am

OhioGardener wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:50 pmAmazingly the Ukrainian mail system has been working
Yes, there was just some news about them releasing a new stamp commemorating the sinking of that Russian flagship.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:01 pm

This is a message I really hate writing, but I wanted to give a heads up that my season is not going well at all. I've lost half of my seedlings and haven't been able to transplant the others since my father was hospitalized since shortly after my last post. Now the scramble to get him transitioned from rehab and into an assisted living facility has pretty much put all of my plans on the back burner, so I don't know how many, if any, grow-outs I'll have to share.

If it's OK, I did manage to put in a purchase to Nikitovka and could trade some of those seeds in lieu of my growouts. They also set up a donation button where I purchased two seed bundles to be given to Ukrainian families who lost everything due to the war which I thought was a great idea.
Debbie

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:11 pm

Hi Debbie. Don't worry too much about the Seeds. The important thing for you is to make sure that you get your Dad into a good assisted living facility.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:25 pm

Well, my health does not allow me to do any gardening right now, so unless things improve I will be in the same boat.
Last edited by Sue_CT on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:29 am

Well this is the whole point of making it a joint effort involving lots of gardeners. Plans get derailed by life - and I'm sorry to hear it Debbie and Sue. But it is inevitable, not everyone will have a huge success in a given year. That is beyond our control. I'm sure these other gardeners here would not let you go without Ukrainian seeds to grow next season if you want them. Hugs and best wishes to both of you.
temperate marine climate

HL2601
Reactions:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Yes @Bower has it right-life gets in the way sometimes..and it is all ok! My plants are doing well and others on Instagram and here too are working on producing many wonderful seeds to share :)
Sorry I haven't been around here much. High garden season and 2 college graduations will do that to you!

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:16 pm

Well I got the go ahead to be a little more active as long as I use my oxygen. So I might have to tote an oxygen tank around with me, but I can hopefully keep the tomatoes going. I am seeing some diseased lower leaves already so if I get up the motivation I will pull them off and put on a mask and spray. Maybe make a decent season out of this after all. We will see how it goes.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:28 pm

What a bad year for some of us. My back neighbor had his huge tree sprayed. Whatever chemical applied the past two years is much stronger than prior early season applications. Normally the plants somewhat outgrow the twisted leaves and actually produce a decent harvest. I did pitch a tray of overgrown 2-3 foot tall transplants and pulled half a dozen plants from the ground, both showing no signs of recovery. Not all bad news as some were a bit further away in containers ined up in a shady spot.I started so many plants for this project!

The extension horticulturist does not recommend eating fruit from a tainted plant , if you don't know which chemical was used. 'I'm torn about sharing these seeds, or even eating more than a sample. Still planning to participate in the growout with the shaded plants , just not as many as I had envisioned :(.

- Lisa

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:46 am

Just picked my first two full sized light red tomatoes of the year yesterday and the win for first tomatoes of the year goes to Ukranian Heart this year. That seems appropriate. They should be ready to eat in a few days. :)

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:34 pm

The Amplissimo Victoria Ukrainskaya peas have started to flower. :) They are earlier than my other tall soup peas.
I'm stuck on the thought that the name means "Very ample Ukrainian Victory" and that's what I'm cheering every time I see a flower.
temperate marine climate

Return to “General Discussion”