2023/2024 wish lists

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Re: 2023/2024 wish lists

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:58 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:15 am I have many wild blueberry bushes in the yard, neglected the past two years. Mostly high bush, but some low bush. I'll have to likely use netting on them, in order to save berries and seeds. I have one high bush that is of the so-called "black" type, as it has no cloudy cast on the berries, it's just a somewhat shiny black color. I currently cannot recall the latin name for this type.

Lots of huckleberries about 3 miles down the road, but I don't recall when they ripen, meaning another thing to look up.

Then there is the mountaintop swamp about 5 miles away, 1 1/2 miles of paved road, 1 1/2 miles of dirt road, and two miles of steep, rough, rocky hiking trails, to get to. Hundreds of high bush blueberries surrounding the swamp. Ticks, mosquitoes, coyotes, bears, moose (singular, so far), rattlesnakes, the very rare mountain lion, and the most dangerous of all, gun toting drug dealing humans, are possible sightings.

My high bush blueberries are from cuttings of plants from that swampy area. Some blueberry bushes are very old. The moose beds down under one of them, having a trunk about 6 inches in diameter, and being about 16 feet high.

If I can, I'll take a hike up there, this year. I haven't gone there in about 4 years. To get to the swamp, I have to pass through the dry areas, where there are plenty of low bush blueberries. Roughly, the 1st of July is when I first go looking for ripe berries.
Don't press your luck with the bears or the druggies, but I'd love to have some seeds if they're not too much of a pain to collect. Especially the black-fruited variety because I favor the wilds for their extra high anthocyanin levels, but any wild type is good. The black variety may actually not be a blueberry, but a close edible relative - Gaylussacia baccata.

I think I also found a solution for keeping the birds I looked up the height which is only supposed to be about 6 feet, so it should be fairly easy if I plant them next to my deck. The mesh on these bags allows water and light through, but is small enough to also use as an insect barrier to prevent crossing on tomatoes or peppers.
image.png
Now, I just have to get my garden back on track. I'm re-starting seeds tonight after having an eye stroke last weekend and being hospitalized for a few days. :cry: Unfortunately it meant my seed trays dried out, but tomatoes grow fast once the trays can be set in natural sunshine. At least the sunflower bed is clear and ready to be planted in a few weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Debbie

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sat May 27, 2023 9:07 pm

Based on responses, bloodroot and wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) are being collected now. Later in the season, mother nature permitting, I'll be collecting Paw Paw and true Jerusalem Artichoke seeds. This won't be all that I'll send in. Just the desirable wild plants that I have growing on my property. The Lakomka sunflowers unfortunately are going to be iffy. While worrying about birds, chipmunks managed to dig up and eat every seed I've planted so far. Currently re-starting Lakomka seeds in peat pots indoors for transplant...
Debbie

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon May 29, 2023 6:24 pm

OhioGardener wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:07 pm Based on responses, bloodroot and wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) are being collected now. Later in the season, mother nature permitting, I'll be collecting Paw Paw and true Jerusalem Artichoke seeds. This won't be all that I'll send in. Just the desirable wild plants that I have growing on my property. The Lakomka sunflowers unfortunately are going to be iffy. While worrying about birds, chipmunks managed to dig up and eat every seed I've planted so far. Currently re-starting Lakomka seeds in peat pots indoors for transplant...
Please keep me updated on any paw paw seed harvest. I do not recommend that you stratify the seeds. It should be up to the seed requester to do so. And, looking at various websites, there is no agreement on how long it takes. The range is anywhere from 60 days up to 120 days. !00 to 120 days is what I've seen. I've been in a few swaps that offered paw paw seeds. There were usually only about 2 to 4 people requesting seeds.

Even though there is no guarantee of seeds at this point, it would be best for participants to put it on their wish lists well in advance of the swap.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Mon May 29, 2023 10:50 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:24 pm
OhioGardener wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:07 pm Based on responses, bloodroot and wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) are being collected now. Later in the season, mother nature permitting, I'll be collecting Paw Paw and true Jerusalem Artichoke seeds. This won't be all that I'll send in. Just the desirable wild plants that I have growing on my property. The Lakomka sunflowers unfortunately are going to be iffy. While worrying about birds, chipmunks managed to dig up and eat every seed I've planted so far. Currently re-starting Lakomka seeds in peat pots indoors for transplant...
Please keep me updated on any paw paw seed harvest. I do not recommend that you stratify the seeds. It should be up to the seed requester to do so. And, looking at various websites, there is no agreement on how long it takes. The range is anywhere from 60 days up to 120 days. !00 to 120 days is what I've seen. I've been in a few swaps that offered paw paw seeds. There were usually only about 2 to 4 people requesting seeds.

Even though there is no guarantee of seeds at this point, it would be best for participants to put it on their wish lists well in advance of the swap.
I normally wouldn't, but Paw Paw and Blood Root require special handling in order to remain viable. What are your thoughts?
They can't be allowed to dry out and Blood Root may also require cold-warm-cold in order to break the dormancy. I store these seeds in moist sphagnum moss in the refrigerator and will provide brief instructions. Paw Paws didn't have a lot of blooms this spring, but I have 5 acres of them, so I should be able to grab a sharable amount of seeds.
Debbie

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:38 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:47 pm Revised 6/22/23

Piracicaba broccoli, maybe - I've used most of the MMMM seed growing test plants and would like just a little more seed in case I don't get one of the ones I'm growing to set seed for saving. I'm testing the reputed heat tolerance.
NOTE: This didn't do well at all this spring. No heads made, only a few tall flowering stalks. I've never had a broccoli do that badly. It will be tried one more time in the fall. If it fails again I'll be dropping it from my wish list.

Lakomka sunflower - added 4/15

Moon & Stars watermelon - added 4/16. I was sure I had some from the recent MMMM but didn't have them when I went to start some yesterday. They weren't logged in either so I must have been dreaming and planted something I already had. Maybe Moon and Stars for this next swap. :)

Mirasol pepper (for drying to guajillo) - added 6/22
I have about 15 seeds of Moon & Stars, which means if no others come in, those three packs will be requested quickly.

The MMMM Master List - Peppers lists Mira Sol. but I have no idea if I still have any. Perhaps on the next rainy day, I can do a bit of inventorying.

Josetom
Reactions:

Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:45 pm

Beans

Jumbo

Tomatoes

Dwarf Sweet Scarlet
Dwarf Loxton Lad
Dwarf Mr Snow
Dwarf Emerald Giant
Dwarf Saucy Mary
Dwarf Sleeping Lady
Dwarf Golden Heart
Dwarf Scarlet Heart
Dwarf Gloria's Treat
Karma Miracle
Karma Peach
Karma Pink
Karma Apricot
Midnight Sun
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Green
Stump of the World
Indian Stripe PL
Bosque Blue Bumblebee
Pink Bumblebee
Green Tiger
Lucky Tiger
Last edited by Josetom on Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gardening from Paraguay, South America. Climate Iike South Florida, Zone10b.

eyolf
Reactions:

Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:46 pm

I haven't even come close to identifying what tomatoes (etc) I hope to grow next year

But another love I have is onions. Especially potato/multiplier onions. Yellow and white multipliers seem to be relatively easy to find, but red, less so.

If the weather is hot/dry multipliers will set seeds. In the hopes I might get crosses, I interplant potato onions with others in odd corners, even away from my regular gardens. Im hopeful that I have a few red multipliers this year, from seeds originally saved in 2021.
IMG_20230627_192744572.jpg
This is the most promising batch, growing in a spot where irrigation isn't easy, and we have been very dry this June. But if there is interest I think I may be able to share a few small bulbs this fall...if Gary wants to be s clearinghouse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Docmom
Reactions:

Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:09 pm

I was just wandering through some seed vendor sites, and I came across a variety of sweet pepper from Spain called "Nora Pepper." It appears to be an ancient variety that is used to make a dried powder for cooking. Has anyone ever grown this variety? I would love to try it, mostly because my daughter"s name is Nora, and the deep red color and reported flavor would be fun for cooking.
I wonder about its time to ripeness and productivity.

Docmom
Reactions:

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:18 am

Thank you, Patti. I find the size of this site overwhelming, and wouldn't have known there even was a "pepper patch." Let's see if I can find
it.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:39 am

Docmom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:28 am I typed "pepper patch" in the search engine and just got our last two posts and then any post that contained the words "pepper" or "patch." This is why I don't do this. I'm a doctor, admittedly older, but I'm not stupid. But, these sites sure make me feel inadequate. They are not intuitive for the casual visitor.
I typed in “Nora” in The Pepper Patch sub forum and got zero results.

I looked up the Nora pepper and it looks like a good one to make paprika. I saw some information that listed the Nora Pepper at 500 scoville units so not really hot, but not completely mild.

But, anyway, the descriptions of the Nora Pepper I have found online seem to indicate the pepper is allowed to fully ripen and normally dried before being used.

I might have to acquire some seeds myself. I love drying peppers for paprika and peppers with just a whiff of heat are generally great for making flavorful paprika.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:38 am

eyolf wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:46 pm I haven't even come close to identifying what tomatoes (etc) I hope to grow next year

But another love I have is onions. Especially potato/multiplier onions. Yellow and white multipliers seem to be relatively easy to find, but red, less so.

If the weather is hot/dry multipliers will set seeds. In the hopes I might get crosses, I interplant potato onions with others in odd corners, even away from my regular gardens. Im hopeful that I have a few red multipliers this year, from seeds originally saved in 2021.
IMG_20230627_192744572.jpg
This is the most promising batch, growing in a spot where irrigation isn't easy, and we have been very dry this June. But if there is interest I think I may be able to share a few small bulbs this fall...if Gary wants to be s clearinghouse.
I can be the clearinghouse, or the house. When it comes to alliums, they don't take up much space, unlike most other plants. And, as long as seeds germinate, they are fairly fool-proof, here, for growing. Weed suppression is the only issue that must be addressed.

So, anything sent in will be distributed to those that want them. Anything left over will be gladly planted in my garden.

And, I just happened to plant a few yellow, and red, multiplying onions this spring. ;)

colcol2
Reactions:

Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:41 pm

Tomatoes:
Adding a couple late wishes in case it's not too late.... :
Miss Scarlet in The Kitchen With the Knife
Professor Plum In The Dining Room With The Knife
Haley's Purple Comet

Tomatoes:
Aftershock
Black Prince
10 Fingers of Naples
Calvados/Kalvados
Esmeralda Golosina
Faelens First Snow
Gothic
Marsha’s Starfighter Beefsteak
Marsha’s Starfighter Heart
Polish
Rebel Alliance
Rebel Starfighter: Blane’s Moonlight
Rebel Starfighter: Dipper’s Delight
Rebel Starfighter: Kaleigh Anne
Rebel Starfighter: Penny Lane
Wine Jug
adding --
Big Bill
Bread and Salt

PEPPERS:

Aji Colorado
Aji Delight
Aji Fantasy
Anaheim
Black Cuban
Black Hungarian
Dark Vader
Dracula
Giant Sweet Devil’s Horn
Mocha Swirl
Orion
Purple Beauty
Yunnan Whopper
adding --
Stocky Red Rooster
Elephant Ear
Gatherer's Gold
Kapia Paprika
La Rouge Royale

BEANS:

Bird Egg Blaue/Bird Egg Blue
Blue Jay
Candy **really hoping for
Ga Ga Hut
Jumbo *** (really want if you have)
Ram’s Horn
Refugee
Tiger’s Eye
Tigre
Blue Ribbon Bush
Blue Shackamaxon
Black Beef Bush (Hornad sending in)
Thibodeau du Comté Beauce Bush
adding: these 3 were older seeds I think but I'd love to try them and return some to the swap if successful.
Purple Peacock
Royal Burgundy
Zuni Shalako

SQUASH:

Summer – Tatume
Dark Star
Zucchini – Cocozelle di Napoli
- Raven

Beets -- Bull's Blood

Flowers --
Benary's Giant Coral
Benary's Giant- Red
Benary's Giant - Lilac
Showy Goldenrod
Perennial Poppy
Blackbery Lily
Meadow Rue
Double Feverfew
Eryngium Blue Glitter
Calendula 'Oopsy Daisy'
Nigella, Blue

I would love any potato/multiplier onions -- but no big deal if pkg is already stuffed with beans (my true love) or have other wishers to fill.
Last edited by colcol2 on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Hornad
Reactions:

Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:54 am

Tomatoes:
Salvaterra’s Select
Fisher's Earliest Paste
Czechoslovakian (not Czechoslovakia that is a different tomato)
My goal is to find a productive early/cold weather paste tomato

Peppers
Trinidad perfume
aji cachucha purple splotched
Chocolate beauty or Sweet chocolate
Palanacho Cudo
Gatherer's Gold
Lipstick
I want to try fun early and sweet/mild peppers
Last edited by Hornad on Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hornad
Reactions:

Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:32 am

Docmom wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:50 am Have you tried Amish Paste?
Your suggestion of Amish Paste is spot on. I grow it and I like it very much. The freezer trick sound promising, I will have to try it.
I am going to try stupice, but I didn't want to ask the exchange for seeds I can get locally. Hume seeds has it and a couple other early varieties and so I'll pick up a pack from the feed store in the spring.
Docmom wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:50 am My best sweet pepper has been Lipstick. They are very productive and flavorful, though I think they do take a while to change color.
Martha
That sounds like a really good variety, I will have to grow it, thank you
Last edited by Hornad on Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stitchingmom
Reactions:

Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:29 am

MMMM- FINAL DRAFT (Shipping my seeds in today.)

Wish List

Amy's Sugar Gem
Aussie
Bacon Lettuce and This
Bread & Salt
Chapman
Cow's Tit
Crimson Sockeye
Curly Kaley (Will Grow Out for MMMM Seeds)
Curtis Cheek
Dwarf Red Heart Tomato
Dwarf Laura’s Bounty
George O'Brien
German Lunchbox
Granny's Heart
Happy Jack
Maria Amazilitei's Giant Red
Mom's Heart
Noah's Stripes Dwarf
Pale Perfect Purple
Red Barn
Reif Red Heart
Saucy Mary
San Francisco Fog
Sherkhan
Tanunda Red
Uncle Steve's Italian Plum

Other Seeds

Lemongrass
Basils
Lemon Mint
Mrihani X Opal F4
Mrs Burns' Lemon
Rutgers Obsession DMR '22
Spicy Saber '22
Chinese Sweet
Italian Pesto

Unusual cucumbers
Small Carrot varieties
Unusual Mint varieties
Short season/cold resistant green beans and peas.

Requested to Grow Out for MMMM Seeds

Graffiti Pink
Clementine
Frau Metzger/Mrs. Butcher

Can Grow Out for MMMM Seeds

Striped Sweetheart Dark (3 seeds)
Santiam Sunrise (1)
Painted Pink (2)
Cherokee Tiger Black (5)
Haley's Purple Comet (2)
Eagle Beak (1)
Elsie's Fancy (1)
KARMA Pink (2)
Hippie Zebra (1)
Last edited by Stitchingmom on Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
SO GLAD to be back! I was locked out for about three months, for some strange reason. :shock:

Missed you all terribly! :cry:

agee
Reactions:

Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:52 am

NYTomatoNewbie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:23 pm Flowers I have available (but will only submit if people are interested)
Responded in the spoiler alert thread, viewtopic.php?p=106568#p106568

ranegrow
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Update: famous last words ? " Gary, if its not too late to update my wish list one last time ? :roll: if I may please add Prof Plum in the Dining Room with the Knife and 2 micros - Dwarf Stripe and Vilma please ? " thank you ;-)

I can't believe its time to make a wish list ! I am sure I will edit this a " few " times LOL... here goes...

Tomatoes:
Carbon
Vorlon
Uptown Funk
Bread and Salt
Homer's German Oxheart
Kentucky Plate
Julia Child
Buzau 22
Pomodoro Cuore Antico di Aqui Terme
Desdimona's Heart
Margaret Curtain
SunGold
Oncle Remi
Mrs Maxwell's Big Italian
Tidwell German
Red Rose
Dwarf Little Red Corvette
Dwarf Raspberry Beret
Captain Lucky
True Colours
Rebel Starfighter Prime Kayleigh Anne
Der Kleine Doctor
Chef's Choice Red or Black
Black Strawberry

Peppers:
Big Bertha
Antebellum
Blitz
Tollies Sweet Italian Pepper
Jupiter
Naga Smooky Rainbow
Fooled You Jalapeno Coolapeno or Nadapeno

other Veggies:
a good slicing cucumber
a good pickling cucumber

other plants:
if enough are sent in, I would love 2 paw paw seeds, I understand you have to have 2 trees in order to get fruit ?

Herbs:
any basil
thyme

Watermelons:
Orangeglo

Any Flowers or these that NYTomatoNewbie mentioned:
Corydalis
Perennial poppy
Agastache
Lance leaf coreopsis
Queen of the prairie
Coneflower
Great coneflower
Ironweed
Goatbeard

would love any short varieties of flowers, any Zinnia too !
Last edited by ranegrow on Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:18 am, edited 17 times in total.

feebean
Reactions:

Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:09 pm

Wish List
1. Summer of Love
2. Oziris
3. Marmande Jaune
4. Teton de Venus Jaune
5. Moonshiner's Ball
6. Quapaw Green
7. Marmande Verte
8. Abraham Green
9. Moya
10. Moya Verte
11. German Chocolate
12. D'Amico
13. Guido
14. Diosporo de Maia
15. Pinky Tuscadero
16. Copperhead Dwarf
17. Costoluto Cantanese
18. Blue Tears
19. Beautiful Dreamer
20. Stallone Nero
21. Bacon, Lettuce, and This
22. Frau Hager Klein
23. Paprikar
24. Mrs. Bots Italian Giant
25. Red Fox

MissTee
Reactions:

Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:29 pm

My Wish List (revised based on the Spoilers)

Batyanya (Taiga if N/A)
Belarusian Heart (Kermit if N/A)
Bordovyi
Couilles de Taureau (Pleine de Chair if N/A)
Daniels
Der Kleine Doctor
Faworyt
Fresa (Heshpole if N/A)
Honey & Sugar
Large Barred Boar
Limbaugh’s Legacy Potato Top
Loxton Lad
Mano
Manyel
McMurray #10 (Royal Hillbilly if N/A)
Negro de Aritzkuren
Purple Smaragd (Oncle Remi if N/A)
Queen Aliquippa
Rosy Finch
Rumi Banjan
Sandul Moldovan
Tsar Kolokol (Saucy Mary Dwarf if N/A)
Vorlon
Yellow Brick Road
Yusupov
Zamorano

Peppers
Anaheim
Czech Black
Espellete (’20 did not germinate)
Ise
Laylak
Leutschauer
Maria Nagy's Transylvanian Pepper
Mountaineer (Sweet Pepper)
Odessa Market
Rezha Macedonian Hot Pepper
Santa Fe Grande aka Guero or Caribe
Serrano
Zupska Rana

Thanks everyone! And especially Tormato.
Last edited by MissTee on Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:08 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Too many tomatoes, not enough time.

agee
Reactions:

Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:08 pm

The following is my wish list in the truest sense of the term and will be thrilled to get a fraction of what is listed.

Tomatoes
Bella Rosa
Big Rainbow
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Chef's Choice
Indigo Rose
Karen O Tomatoes, esp multicolor and/or heart
Lemon Boy
Lucid Gem
Pink Brandywine
Purple Bumblebee
Red Snapper
Sun Sugar
Super Sweet 100
Taiga

Note: I know some of these are hybrids and may be available by sending in money.

Pepper, Sweet
Any thick walled Sweet Pepper
Habanada
Lipstick
Nadapeno
Pablano
Trinidad Perfume

Pepper, Hot
Fish
Habanero
Jalapeno, Zapotec
Jalapeno
Trinidad Scorpion

Eggplant
Listada di Gandia
Mitoyo
Rosa Bianca
Rosita

Beans
Christmas
Jumbo
Red Noodle

Herbs
Basil, Red / Opal
Basil, Lime
Basil, Lemon
Basil, Greek
Cilantro
Dill
Lemongrass

Flowers / Pollinators / Ornamentals
Ageratum
Coleus
Gomphrena
Lupine
Marigold, Bedding
Nasturtium
Rudbekia, Brown-/Black-Eyed Susans are OK, but really looking for other varieties
Salvia
Snapdragons
Sunflowers
Yarrrow, Non-White
Zinnia, Any Queen Lime
Zinnia, Bedding
Zinnia, Tall

Cucumbers
Armenian
Silver Slicer

Squash, Summer
Pattypan, Yellow Sunburst