Best Flavors 2022

Everything About Tomatoes
MissS
Reactions:

Re: Best Flavors 2022

Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:57 pm

@Cornelius_Gotchberg he uses Surround. What I want to know is what sprayer he uses!!!
~ Patti ~

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:14 pm

@Cornelius_Gotchberg Yes, that is Surround, as @MissS noted. And it works great on many insects, as they don't like the "feel" of it, and they get off, quickly. It's fairly easy to wipe off, but doesn't simply rinse off, like DE. So it doesn't rain off, either, and small tomatoes and small hot peppers I stop spraying, as soon as the fruits start to form, since it is too much of a pain to wash off, while large tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are easy to wipe off.

The sprayer I use is something that they don't make anymore - GreenThumb, that has an for the pump on it, so it can be pumped without leaning over. Good idea, especially for someone tall, like me! I use one of those exclusively for Surround - sometimes I put potassium bicarbonate in it, and always a small amount of ThermX 70, as a spreader/sticker. Even after spraying almost everything (except the greens and herbs, and later, those smaller fruits), it only uses a little more than a gallon of the mix (about 2 c/gal), and it keeps well, until the next spray, as it is inert. And a week later I'll just spray some on the new growth - it takes a heavy rain to wash off the earlier Surround, plus the undersides of the leaves stay coated - something that needs close attention to when spraying, since bugs collect more there than anywhere!
ImageGreenthumb sprayer, used exclusively for Surround by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:40 pm

@pepperhead212 thank you. I have been looking for a sprayer that won't clog up when I use as much Surround per gallon as you do. I just haven't found one yet.

Editing post to say that Walmart does carry Greenthumb sprayers.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/1171733940
~ Patti ~

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:19 pm

@MissS/@pepperhead212 Many thanks, never heard of the stuff.

I have a pump sprayer like that from Home Depot that works like a charm, but I've only used it for spraying weeds.

Honestly, I haven't really had that much of a problem with insects, except for the Lacinato Kale and Pak Choi, but you's don't use it for greens.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:00 pm

@Cornelius_Gotchberg I have a lot of problems with insects around here, partly because of the heat, and probably because I am near a creek. Not as bad with tomatoes, as others, but I still spray them to prevent aphids, which can be a major problem on my okra - especially black aphids. And on eggplants a major problem with flea beetles, which the Surround keeps off of them. Also works well on the various types of beetles that get on cucumbers, as well as squash.

@MissS I hope those are similar the ones I have, with a similar orifice - a slightly elongated one, opposed to the usual round ones on sprayers. I don't know if that's what makes it work, or not, but it's different. And when mixing the Surround into the sprayer, I add it to a very fine strainer, over the opening, and "wash it through", doing a half cup at a time. Occasionally, a few particles get trapped in the strainer, but not much, though it could stop the sprayer, if I just dumped it in.

BTW, I found the size of the same thing I have; not exactly the same, but with the extension, and 2, or 3 gallons. However, I'd have to see that IP - it doesn't look like it has a handle to carry it from the mouth, like mine, instead of above. However, they have the regular sprayers, too, down below.
https://www.gertens.com/green-thumb-sta ... 2-gal.html
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:09 pm

@pepperhead212; "beetles that get on cucumbers"

B-b-b-beetles getting on ka-ka-ka-cucumbers???

Say it ain't so....

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:27 pm

You don't get those Gotch? Consider yourself lucky, if that's so. It has been almost forever that I had to either cover them (not something I wanted to do, though I do that with some peppers, against maggots), or grow only County Fair - otherwise, they all come down with bacterial wilt, spread by beetles.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:47 am

@pepperhead212 "You don't get those Gotch?"

Haven't, yet...

"Consider yourself lucky, if that's so."

Sometimes I Go About In Pity For Myself, And All The While A Great Wind Carries Me Across The Sky. Ojibwe Saying

Back to Cukes; in addition to our mainstay (Sweet Success) we'll be making a lateral move from the Diva to planting Wisconsin SMR 58 and the Wautoma Hybrid (both WESconsin developed varieties) this upcoming season.

The Wautoma (https://territorialseed.com/products/cucumber-wautoma) is named after a town in BIG TIME vegetable (over twice the economic impact/agriculture receipts of second place grain farming) producing Waushara County.
https://anre.uwex.edu/files/2015/01/Waushara_2014.pdf

The Gotch

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:10 am

@Cornelius_Gotchberg That Wisconsin 58 is another one I am somewhat able to grow, as the hairy stems and leaves keep most bugs off. And it produces a great number of picklers.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Tomato Talk”