Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 pm

Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

rdback
Reactions:

Re: Let's cook a Gumbo!!

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Damn Rajun, you're just teasing us now. Man, I miss Loseianna! Looks absolutely delicious.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Great video! And looks verrrrry delicious. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:00 pm

As Grandpa Jones would say, "Yum, yum!!!"
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 am

And this is why I will never loose weight.
Great Video!

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Re: Primal Cajun. Let's cook a Gumbo!!

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Is that you on the video cooking? Because that is one of the best videos I have ever seen. Love the whole thing.
Hate to admit it but I have never had gumbo. I was expecting that slimy 😝 okra to go in any minute but it never did.
I thought all southerners ate Duke’s mayo. I live in the south but grew up in Hellman’s country. Now I have a craving for potato salad.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:47 pm

I love your videos. Wish we had more of them. I have never had gumbo, but this looks delicious. The only traditional Louisiana dish I ever make is Jambalaya, and I use an old recipe of Emeril's. Not sure how traditional it is, but I love it. Chicken, shrimp and Andouille sausage. I would love to see you do a video of how you do it. I am sure I do it wrong, lol.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 am

MsCowpea wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:30 pm Is that you on the video cooking? Because that is one of the best videos I have ever seen. Love the whole thing.
Hate to admit it but I have never had gumbo. I was expecting that slimy 😝 okra to go in any minute but it never did.
I thought all southerners ate Duke’s mayo. I live in the south but grew up in Hellman’s country. Now I have a craving for potato salad.
Yes Ma'am, that's me! Why are you depriving yourself? Follow that recipe and you'll be hooked. Use any local smoked sausage you like and it'll work.

If okra is slimy it's not cooked right. Somewhere along the line recipes didn't explain the okra cooking process(especially for gumbo) and now I see it cooked wrong everywhere, even Emeril cooks it wrong. It's supposed to be smothered which is fully cooked and no slime at all before added to gumbo. There's really no wrong way to cook gumbo but around here you'll get weird looks if you drop raw okra in gumbo.

It's Blue Plate Mayo around here, Duke's isn't bad but it's NO Blue Plate.
https://reilyproducts.com/blue-plate-na ... oved-mayo/

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 am

Sue_CT wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:47 pm I love your videos. Wish we had more of them. I have never had gumbo, but this looks delicious. The only traditional Louisiana dish I ever make is Jambalaya, and I use an old recipe of Emeril's. Not sure how traditional it is, but I love it. Chicken, shrimp and Andouille sausage. I would love to see you do a video of how you do it. I am sure I do it wrong, lol.
Thanks Sue! There's a few more on my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgLAD ... Wie2UmbRvQ

Jambalaya is another one of those dishes where there's no wrong way to make it. As long as it tastes good before you dump the rice is all that matters. It's not as popular here as most people think, it's good but it's more like fast food or a dish you make to feed a crowd since it cooks fast and cheap to make depending on the proteins used.

If you think jambalaya is good you need to try pastalaya. It's not much different except the addition of heavy cream and pasta instead of rice. I need to make a video on my recipe, I haven't found one that's like mine yet.
https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/cajun-pastalaya/
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 am

Oyster & Shrimp Dip

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm

I have watched your other videos already, all are good. I would love to see you make the pastalaya. It looks delicious. I try to stay away from adding heavy cream or half and half to recipes that already have fats like sausage, lol. I only eat my high fat recipies once or twice a year. The problem is that I already have about 365 of them, lol. But you are right, I think if asked many people make the assumption is that it is a popular dish there. Honestly surprised that a Chef like Emeril would make that "cheap way to feed a crowd" dish. Maybe he isn't viewed as that good of a Louisanna Chef in Louisiana, lol. I thought his restaraunts were supposed to be quite good, unlike some "celebrity" Chefs. Anyway, I enjoy it so will probably keep making it once or twice a year. I have to try Gumbo sometime.

Return to “Show us your videos, All topics Welcome”