Re: Nasturtiums

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Oohhhhh.....that salad looks good.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:23 pm

I read that some in my area grow these as winter flowers successfully. I'm going to give it a try. I started seeds for two pots today.

IMG_20201015_182112065.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:33 am

. Oddly enough I’ve never seen aphids on my nasturtiums, and I’ve grown them for years.
Grow them every year. Never had aphids either or any other bug.

I get transplants from nursery as germination is so spotty whether I start indoors or direct seed. I have soaked the seeds, filed them, etc etc.
Done everything suggested on internet. I don’t know if it is the heat that effects them or what. Do you have have any tricks to get a good transplant?

Your salad looks like it came from gourmet restaurant and you would have to pay a lot of money for it too!
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:18 am

Here, they grow so well & fast that I have to pull them out a few weeks in or they'd take over the entire garden. When friends see the abundant plants they would invariably ask for seedlings, but I warn them to be careful what you ask for. Soon enough, they're complaining about the "weeds" :lol:
I try to avoid them going to seed but I can't get them all. I have probably every color & bicolor & even variegated leaves, but I only planted 1 packet over 20 years ago. They must love the Mediterranean climate here, even with the added drought.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:28 am

. They must love the Mediterranean climate here, even with the added drought.
On second thought it couldn’t be the heat/rain as I am not trying to grow them during Florida summer or Sept. Your comment reminded me that starting in October and onwards the weather starts getting much milder. I did start 3 packets inside about 2 weeks ago and nothing has germinated. (I soaked them overnight.). In the past when I direct seed some don’t come up and those that do are spindly and weak looking, yet I can get store transplants , plant them in the same spot, and they do beautifully.

Saw these at extension research center in northern Florida.
5DFD39CE-8920-4759-99DD-0AD4F86F8D8E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Huffaker

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Nasturtiums easy to grow in uk, love to just scatter the seed around. Have an area of garden that is "our beach" with shingle, pebbles, grasses, "love in a mist" and a smattering of nasturtiums (haven't managed to get the sea lapping at our shore thou). They have some lovely wild growth and flowers and I find the smell quite fresh and unique. They can be a magnet for aphids at particular times of the year but then that is also good food for other predators - so as long as keep in check its okay.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:45 pm

I use a cuticle clipper to nick nasturtium and morning glory seeds, and soak them in water for about 6 hours. I put the container with the water on a heating pad set on the lowest setting. I get good germination.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 pm

Spooky Shoes, I will try your technique—nick and soak over heat. Right now I have some in dark, some under lights, on heat, no heat. All were soaked. In past tried sandpaper on them
but maybe didn’t take off enough.
Carl Huffaker

Return to “Annuals”