Two Good Late Summer Native Perennials

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Two Good Late Summer Native Perennials

Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:47 am

These are two good late summer blooming perennials for your flower garden. They are both natives and start blooming in August until the frost takes them out.

Native Pink Turtle Head
Turtle Head.jpg
Native Cut Leaf Coneflower
Native Cut Leaf Coneflower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: Two Good Late Summer Native Perennials

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:14 am

Interesting to see a coneflower like that. Similar to what we see in nurseries but not the same at all. One of the joys of Tomato Junction is seeing what grows in other parts of the world.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:34 pm

Those are very nice fall bloomers. I have had the pink Chelone. The deer pruned it last year. It's just coming into full bud now. This year I have the white Chelone as well. The white one is the host for the for the Baltimore Checker-spotted butterfly. I have never seen one of these butterflies and I'm hoping to attract them here.
~ Patti ~

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:41 pm

Growing Coastal wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:14 am Interesting to see a coneflower like that. Similar to what we see in nurseries but not the same at all. One of the joys of Tomato Junction is seeing what grows in other parts of the world.
Yes, it is so interesting to see what other people are growing. The cut leaf coneflower is also called green head coneflower. It is a nice pollinator plant and attracts many kinds of bees and butterflies.,

bower
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

We have a white turtlehead here, I've seen it growing down by the river. Very pretty, and your pink is even nicer. :)
I have two mints that I brought home from that area - one is a delicious peppermint that grows at the head of the pond, the other is a round-leaved spearmint flavor that grows in big patches in the river. Don't know if they are native or if settlers settled them there. They are a little tricky to keep going in the garden as they do love water a bit more than other things.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Perennials”