Re: Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 am

MissS wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:49 pm
PlainJane wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm So funny, my local hummingbird population loves both the Hamelia and the Abutilon.
I also have a large clump of Salvia Amistad which the big bumblebees love.
Should have hummers through here any day now.
Yes you should have birds very soon. I get so excited every spring when I see my first hummer of the year. It's a BIG YIPPEE!

I grow Amistad every year and the birds and the bees here just love it. You do have one BIG advantage over me. You get to grow your plants all year while I have to grow all of mine as annuals. It gets expensive to garden for the birds when you live up north.
If a person has the right garage or other area for storage salvias winter over well.

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Re: Re: Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 pm

I picked up a Vermillionaire cuphea and a Honeybells cuphea. I put the Honeybells in a hanging basket. I need to figure out what kind of sun the Honeybells can take. I can move the hanging basket around.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Re: Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:05 pm

I have a couple of new ones on order. I can't wait to meet them. I ordered salvia 'So Cool Pale Blue', salvia 'Brazilian Blue', salvia 'Amanate', salvia 'Amethyst Lips', salvia 'Blue Suede Shoes' (Tormato must of had something to do with this one) and salvia 'Rockin Fuschia.

I do have a very nice garage but sadly it is a little too full to hold and plants over.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Pollinators”