Anything New on Burpee Seed Racks This Year?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Anything New on Burpee Seed Racks This Year?

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Not exactly a list, but I'm "wishing" I can find the seeds I'm looking for off the rack.

Once the holiday decorations get sold down here, the big box stores start putting their seed racks out (with the exception of WalMart which instead fills the garden center with storage totes for the entire month of January grrr.

Anything new this year to get excited about?
My seed cupboard is bare of yellow wax type bush beans, Burpee seed rack variety would be fine if I can find them. Only two varieties are showing on their websiteI
I'm also hoping someone has seen Stevia on the rack. Those seeds are so expensive by mail, and they put only a dozen in the pack.

- Lisa

Paquebot
Reactions:

Re: Anything New on Burpee Seed Racks This Year?

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:11 am

I live about 8 blocks from a Jung's garden center. Every seed in the catalog and more are in there. Everything from Shumway, Totally Tomatoes, and Vermont Bean also available at cost. Still always find something new and interesting when WalMart and Home Depot gets\ the Burpee display set up.

Martin

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:02 pm

Yesterday at Menards, I saw Honey Select. Have not seen it in the racks before. A sweet, but not complex bright yellow cocktail tomato. *An excellent producer.*

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:54 pm

I was in Menards and I saw Honey Delight F1 too. I'm tempted but no until I hear real reviews. It will be another few weeks before the Burpee rep gets around to set displays in the other big box stores so I can scope out other new offerings.

I bought two packs of spinach while I was there. With the store discount, it came to $3.99 for the two packs. I was thinking how few seeds I felt in the pack. I looked up the varieties on the Burpee website, and although it cost a few bucks more, the mail order looks like the per seed cost is lower, at least for spinach which is an iffy germinator. I hope I remember to count the seeds when I start planting, and I'll report back.

No Stevia seeds on the Burpee rack. Waiting on Seed Savers to arrive at the local nursery.

- Lisa

I also saw a value size pack of Organic Winter Rye which is new in this area.
They had a common variety of a yellow wax bean. Not a whole bunch of seeds in the pack. Did not buy yet.

Return to “General Discussion”