Where did I go wrong?

Spike
Reactions: 152

Where did I go wrong?

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:25 pm

I planted several different types of carrots. I grow carrots in tubs because of our clay mud aka garden dirt. Every year I get beautiful carrots. The only thing I did different this year, was in a separate tub, I grew rainbow carrots from a tape. Not a single one of my carrots were worth a hoot. Beautiful tops but the carrots themselves were stubby useless things. What happened? :(
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 1184

Re: Where did I go wrong?

Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:30 pm

I think you bought the same ones as me @Spike ....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Spike
Reactions: 152

Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:02 pm

So heart breaking! I simply love carrots and nothing.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

Bower
Reactions: 1945

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:25 pm

I love em too, and planted a lot of carrots last year. But entire beds of carrot seedlings were mowed down by this beast called Black Arion. :evil: I did not repeat this year, but they took the cilantro instead. :roll: They're especially fond of anything in the carrotty family, as long as it's a wee seedling (or better yet, a LAWN of seedlings).
Spike, maybe you just need to leave your rainbow carrots a bit longer. Carrots do get nice tops before they bulk up the roots. I have pulled more than a few too early, and disappointing size.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

mama_lor
Reactions: 64

Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:17 am

The variety makes a big difference with carrots, just like with radishes, it's very important to match your conditions. For me the ones with less leaves work best (Like Nantes, Maestro). The ones that grow many leaves first are usually a tragedy.

brownrexx
Reactions: 1323

Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:30 am

@Spike when did you plant your carrot seeds? Carrots have a DTM of about 75 days so possibly you are pulling them too early?

Overcrowding will also lead to underdeveloped carrots.

Or how about nutrition? If your carrots were in pots and we have had LOTS of rain, possibly they ran out of nutrients. I have never grown in containers but I think that fertilizer is needed in them.

Return to “Root Crops”