What about some tips for parsnips?

ponyexpress
Reactions:

What about some tips for parsnips?

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 am

This is my third attempt at growing parsnips. Finally got successful germination. This time I filled it with soil but put a 2” layer of potting soil on top. Watered it and then carefully put seeds around. Covered it with a paper bag and watered it every day if it wasn’t moist.
9B88CDB2-3169-4CC2-8CA5-69EFCD5466C6.jpeg
Earlier in the year, I planted a couple of rows of Parsnips in early May that did not come up. I think they require 70deg soil for germination. I also heard that you need to use very fresh seeds. Maybe my first attempt the seeds were too old?

I think there were started about 2-3 weeks ago. I did start another grow bag using the same technique yesterday for carrots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Re: What about some tips for parsnips?

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Rather like carrots, I find the most difficult part of growing parsnips is getting the seed to germinate, after that they pretty much look after themselves. A trick used by old hands here in the UK is, after sowing, to cover the soil with a plank of wood to keep the moisture in and remove it when they start to germinate. Personally I prefer to 'chit' the seed on damp tissue paper and sow them as soon the the white root starts poking out of the seed, ensuring the soil is kept moist at all times. It is often said that you need to buy fresh parsnip seed each year and I have found two year old seed (i.e. one year after I've opened the packet, who knows when commercial seed is actually harvested!) to have a much lower rate of germination.

Return to “Root Crops”