Chilly Brassicas!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Chilly Brassicas!

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:02 pm

We've had two cold mornings of 28 and 27 degrees. The carrots got more leaves dumped over them to cover. Brassicas are pretty hardy but just as an insurance policy, I laid some old sheets over most of the plants the afternoon before. They're some of the eight sheets I bought at an estate sale for a few dollars and they come in handy. This morning all the covers came off and I brushed the leaves off the carrots. Everything’s fine.

A fitted sheet snugged just right over three of the cabbages:

This morning I found that there are four little mini cabbages forming on the base of a Stonehead cabbage I cut a few weeks ago. I've seen this happen before but it was spring and I needed the bed space for something else. Lots of time now so I'll let these go and see what happens.

Here are two of the Late Flat Dutch. I've never grown these before but they're very late compared to the Stonehead and Charleston Wakefield and so a natural staggering of finish time. They're starting to look a little flat. Big plants!

I've never had success with red cabbages before. This is new-to-me Red Acre and I think it will do the trick. Third time's a charm! I only started two plants as a test. If they finish well, there will be more next fall as it's a long finisher too.

We're supposed to get a bunch of rain again, possibly 2-3" this weekend, maybe more. I've already told the cabbages to don their life vests!

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Chilly Brassicas!

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Nice cabbages!
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

bower
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:21 pm

I love that the fitted sheet snugged in around the cabbage! LOL. Nice work. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Very nice! Love the sheets!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:04 am

Any time I go to one of those estate sales the "good" stuff is usually gone but by just poking around through the ash and trash I can usually find something useful and cheap. At the same sale where I found the pile of sheets I actually found a long handled pair of loppers out in the barn with almost 3' long wooden handles. It was pretty old but must have been well taken care of. The blade was razor sharp. $4.00! That extra length has been so handy.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Looks good. Sheets and old blankets are great to have on hand. I look for them at the Salvation Army. When they say we are due for a rare freeze I clip them on the cages with clothes pins.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Return to “Brassica's”