Starting cabbage from seed in 7A Virginia

zendog
Reactions:

Starting cabbage from seed in 7A Virginia

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:25 pm

I've never grown cabbage before, but suddenly got the urge and just ordered 4 types of seed from seedsnow when I was picking up a half-pound of Red Acre seed for microgreens:
Charleston Wakefield
All Season
Red Acre
Savoy Perfection

I was thinking of starting seeds under the lights as soon as they arrive. Does that seem too early for my area? Any estimate of the earliest time to plant out seedlings for 7A? I want to make sure I get them in early enough so they have the time to mature before it gets too hot, but I don't want to freeze them out by planting too early. I realize the weather has been a bit erratic this year and may continue that way, but I was thinking of March 15th maybe or maybe even earlier depending on long term forecasts around then.

Thoughts on timing or other issues to be aware of?

TheDante
Reactions:

Re: Starting cabbage from seed in 7A Virginia

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Hey Zendog,

you need to find out what kinda cabbage seeds you purchased.

that is-
spring cabbage
summer cabbage
winter cabbage

if you grow them in their ´wrong´ seasons, they will not head properly.

Maybe this link can help better explain too and then you will be able to check for your seeds for your region and season.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegeta ... f-cabbage/
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:38 pm

I am in zone 5 and start my early cabbage under lights in February. They do very well for me growing them like this. So if you have early seeds, then it sounds like a great time to start your cabbage.
~ Patti ~

zendog
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 pm

[mention]TheDante[/mention] I think all of these can be grown in the spring, so I think I'll plant all the types and see how they do. I may try them again the fall, but I always run into not having enough room to start the fall stuff early enough with all the squash, sweet potatoes, etc. still sprawling around the garden.

[mention]MissS[/mention] Thanks. I'll get them going as soon as they arrive. I guess if they get big early I can just plant them out and toss a sheet over them during any particularly cold nights.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Zendog, I think in 7a you'll be alright starting them in February. Count on about five weeks from seeding to a nice transplant if you're growing them under lights. Maybe harden them off a week at Week 4. Just be prepared to cover them if it gets really cold and they're still young and getting the hang of growing in the garden.

I'm in 8a and will be starting my spring cabbages and other cole crops this Friday with a target plant out date of Feb 24, weather permitting.

I do the Charleston Wakefield (70 DTM) both spring and fall and it works well for both. There's some Red Acre out there now that was planted out Sep 18 and is almost ready. It's the first time I've tried it but because it's such a long DTM (115 days) it will be a "fall only" cabbage for me. Not familiar with the other two except I will be trying the Savoy Perfection for the first time come fall as it's 90 DTM and thus too long for spring use here.

zendog
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 pm

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention], thanks for the specifics. I'll probably try a few of each and see which mature, but it sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up for red acre and the savoy for the spring grow. I do find that the DTM can be a bit confusing since everything seems to grow so much faster in the spring from the increasingly long days compared to the fall where the slowly go into almost neutral. Every fall I wind up getting a lot of things started too late and just running out of time.

Based on your suggestion I'll wait a little bit until I pop those seeds in the soil, but I'll probably start a little before Feb. 1 just to get them as big as possible to race against those DTM numbers.

Return to “Brassica's”