The Last Flat Dutch Cabbages

GoDawgs
Reactions:

The Last Flat Dutch Cabbages

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:22 am

I've never grown these before and so I was a bit surprised how flat they really are! The larger of the two is about 10-11" wide but only about 3-4" thick. These two and one more got turned into sauerkraut this morning.

I think I'll pass on these for next fall because the plants take up so much room. Maybe sub a late round one that's a bit smaller so I can plant an extra one in the row. The Flat Dutch seed will go into the "vault" in the freezer just in case I ever want to do them again.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: The Last Flat Dutch Cabbages

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Interesting. Since I’m not so crazy for cabbage but love kohlrabi, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts & kale I always run out of room before trying it.
Those look cool though.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:15 am

Oh my, those are some big heads! Guesstimating, about how much did each weigh?
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm

Imp, they were only about 2 lbs each. Although pretty wide, they were only 3-4" thick and not real tight. I had smaller Stoneheads that weighed 3-4 lbs.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:57 am

Thank you. They do look unusual, so it is temting to think about for a fall crop.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:41 am

Another question! Does the Flat Dutch shape make it easier to shred up for kraut?

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Funny you should ask that question. You know, I don't think so. I was thinking about it the other day and it was one of those small reasons why I decided not to do them again. And another observation is that those large leaves have real fat stems which make thick shreds. I really like the Stonehead for kraut. They're really hard and tight and they also have a small core.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:06 pm

Okay, another question, LOL!! Are the leaves themselves thick or just the stems?

If the leaves are not too thick, they may well make a good "cover" for fermenting things, between a weight and the top of a jar or crock. Also, those monster leaves may make good cabbage roll wrappers with the stem taken out, maybe quick pickle the stems?

Sorry, full of questions today.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 am

I have no problem with questions so ask away!

The outer wrapper leaves are rather thick, if memory serves. They were a bit old and tough with a few bug bites so I tossed them without paying them much attention. The first nice clean outer leaves certainly could be used for cabbage rolls. I hadn't even thought about using them under the kraut weight as I use a gallon ziplock bag filled with brine (just in case it should leak) to weigh down the kraut.

But keep in mind that this is my first outting with late Flat Dutch so what I grew might not be representative of what they would really do once I got the hang of growing them.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 am

I saw some of these at my grocery store yesterday. Since I had read this thread I paid them some attention. They were large about 12 inches across and about 6-8 inches high. The outer leaves which I could see were rather thick and somewhat ribbed with curvy leaves and raised pronounced veins. The heads were firm. It was rather pretty but I ended up buying a regular green cabbage.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Brassica's”