In the heart of my cabbage-x, it's spring!

bower
Reactions:

In the heart of my cabbage-x, it's spring!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am

I found a few crosses in the Michihili cabbage seeds I saved and started for basement eats this winter. Two I decided were most interesting I am hoping to get seed to grow out. One is obviously a cross from Red Russian Kale, and the other a Bok Choy type. They started to bolt last week, and today I had no choice but to bring them upstairs where there's more window space - they just won't fit under my lights. Luckily we passed the 'ten hours of daylight' mark a few days ago, so they should be alright with true daylight hours alone. And it's sunny! :D
cabbagex-flrs-feb14-152.JPG
Here are a couple of pics of them from the days of their pristine youth. I've been eating the outer leaves since January. They got big, and a single leaf was enough to make a serving of salad. The red one has a rich mild taste like a dark romaine. The white has a slight mustardy nip. Both have big juicy and crunchy stems like the Michihili. I like this vegetable!
michihiliXrrkaleandbok.JPG
cabbagex-jan2020-725.JPG
Not surprising that the BokChoy cross was the first to bolt. Much later than the real bok choy, though!
stateofcabbage-feb2-88.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Brassica's”