How to Grow Cabbage and Bok choy Organically

brownrexx
Reactions:

How to Grow Cabbage and Bok choy Organically

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:44 am

If you have ever tried to grow cabbage or other cole crops you have probably been visited by those pesky white cabbage moths. They lay lots of eggs on your plants and then you will start to see those little green caterpillars munching on your plants.

I dislike spraying pesticides or even using bt on something that we will be eating so I developed a system of excluding the moths and avoiding the problem entirely.

I made a wire framework out of some fencing material and the first year I covered it with the floating row cover material. This works well but I like seeing my plants and I got the idea to use what is called matte mesh fabric. I buy it at JoAnn fabrics for $.89/yard and I like it better than the floating row cover because I can see my plants and I feel that they get more light and water.

Slugs can also be problematic so when I plant my seedlings, I surround them with a circle of crushed eggshells which slugs are reluctant to cross. If I have any slug problems later in the season, then I sprinkle some organic slug bait.

Here is my set up from last year and also a picture of mature cabbage and Bok Choy. As you can see there are no holes in the leaves.

ImageDSC00392 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

Image20190607_182747 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

Image20180604_163832 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: How to Grow Cabbage and Bok choy Organically

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm

Great idea to use the matte mesh fabric and your veggies look great!

I used floating row cover on my cukes last year and it was a pain to remove and tuck it back in again. I think the see-through cover would be a much better idea because I could see where the ripe ones are, and not have to uncover too much.

I didn't know the cabbage moths liked bok choi. Mine is usually gone before the season really gets going, but the flea beetles really devastate it. I'm growing it indoors this season in the hopes of being able to eat it before it needs to go outside :).

Linda

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:08 pm

[mention]Labradors[/mention] if you are trying to exclude cucumber beetles then the holes in this mesh might be big enough to let them through. I would suggest tulle fabric which is a tighter mesh but you can still see through it better than the floating row cover fabric.

I don't have to pull the fabric back for pollination so it's once and done for me. I think that the tulle would exclude the flea beetles too but I don't have enough holes in the leaves to worry about them.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I use old curtains.
Vladimír

bower
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm

I nearly ordered some of this fabric a couple of weeks ago, but the postage calculator screwed up and charged me $50 for being a "remote area"... they wouldn't fix it so I said no way, and bought my fabric elsewhere. But the place I did order, I think they have it too. Will be looking for an opportunity to try this.
It's interesting that row cover works really well for moose and hares and even our squirrels. They see the white stuff and will not go there, even if it's not fully covered, surrounding the bed is enough. Chicken wire doesn't work at all. They all know it and have their ways of getting around it (over or under) and the sight of it almost seems like an invitation. I'm not sure if tulle will work here in the woods, but it would sure work at my mother's garden. She hates row cover! For being unsightly. So the tulle row of brassicas would be just right! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:59 pm

[mention]Bower[/mention] your mom might like the mesh fabric, it comes in many colors- even purple.

I love that enclosure [mention]MrBig46[/mention]. It is much nicer than my wires. I also use old curtains that I bought at the thrift shop. I use them for frost protection at the end of the season.

Return to “Brassica's”