Section for Tomato Tastings / Workshops

Share Tastings, Events, Workshops, Lectures & Classes
Texgal
Reactions:

Section for Tomato Tastings / Workshops

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Hey Folks, is there much interest or activity around the country for tomato tastings and such, enough to warrant a section for it? I know we have one at some time of the year here in the Austin area. I've never been to one and I'd love to hear of any going on around the country. Same for any tomato breeding workshops. I'm checking out the local master gardeners and extension offices and looks like slim pickens for that kind of thing.
~ Emmie ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Re: Section for Tomato Tastings / Workshops

Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 am

I think that is a good idea. Be sure and go to the Austin one. (By the way have you ever heard of Boggy Creek Farm? They operate an organic farm and have a produce stand at the farm.
I have read about them for years -they used to send out an interesting newsletter. Their produce looks phenomenal. They have events like farm
dinners to raise money for good causes. There is also an Urban Farm Tour in Austin . Farm tours are great.

https://eastaustinurbanfarmtour.com/

We went to tomato tastings over the years all across country-they were great events to combine with a sightseeing trip. It is a shame but the really huge ones like TomatoFest in Carmel, Ca (350 varieties) and
Kendall-Jackson Winery in Sonoma, Ca. (180 varieties) discontinued after many many years. KJ had tomato tastings for 20 years.

Seed Savers Exchange has one every year which is nice but very small . The farm and visitor center are lovely. However, it is a trek to get there as they are not that close to a major airport. We ended up combining it with a trip to St. Paul/ Minneapolis. There are closer airports to SSE farm but we love the twin cities.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 am

I think this is a good idea even if tastings are limited. Rutgers University sponsors a great tasting in August every year in NJ. Giving the few that remain coverage is good advertising for them and may help attract more visitors to keep them going.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:58 am

DH and I have held a sit-down tomato tasting the last 3 years; it’s the highlight of my gardening season.
I’m pretty sure others here have done the same. I’d love to hear about smaller events as well as the larger, sponsored ones.
Scenes from past events:
746FD991-7FAB-49CA-B403-5A5B429EDF4A.jpeg
9A7EB312-9DA5-4F65-8363-BD0DD2DAE37C.jpeg
915C4069-AD7C-4746-8E5A-F04667EA8E9E.jpeg
904DB209-F9A2-4B7C-9742-8F4978545D09.jpeg
CCFFDD11-2FCD-4A40-8077-0062F26D0335.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:58 am

Texgal wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 pm Same for any tomato breeding workshops. I'm checking out the local master gardeners and extension offices and looks like slim pickens for that kind of thing.
Fred Hempel/Artisan Seeds does a tomato breeding workshop at his Green Bee Farm (Baia Nicchia) in Sunol, California. His next one is July 11. You can find out about it on the Green Bee Farm Facebook page.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:30 am

I went to an event at the Boggy creek farm a few years ago.
Wasn't happy there and wanted to leave as soon as I got there.
Too many people and I bet it is even worse now with the re-gentrification of East Austin.
Just not my cup of tea and I felt so out of place.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 am

We can create this forum for you. What would you like to name it and where would you like us to put it?
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am

Worth, that is unfortunate. Boggy Creek does have a farm market that isn’t an event just a place to buy locally grown vegetables and other goods from local businesses. I have never been there-just found them online —they repaired and restored a historical house at the farm . Very few of those left in Austin. The owner used to write amusing stories about her chickens—all working ‘pets’ that live their full life on the farm.

Plain Jane, your tasting event looks fantastic. You put out such a range of beautiful tomatoes. Smaller gatherings are fun and intimate with
just family and friends. I think it must be easier to judge them too when you are sitting down and can really taste them to compare rather than the daunting task of tasting a few hundred where after a while you never want to see a tomato again.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:25 am

Gardadore wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 am I think this is a good idea even if tastings are limited. Rutgers University sponsors a great tasting in August every year in NJ. Giving the few that remain coverage is good advertising for them and may help attract more visitors to keep them going.
Wow, I missed this post earlier. I'm going to put that on my calendar.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Here is the area of Boggy Creek Farm in east Austin.
It goes all the way back including that big garden.
Soon it wont be there I can promise. :cry:
Not unless people step in.
I hope they get some sort of ag exemption the land is priceless.
Boggy Creek.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:40 pm

If anyone finds out about any in Massachusetts/Connecticut, or knows of any that are held annually, I would love to hear about them!
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:00 pm

I would love this. We of all people need to know about tomato tastings, eggplant tastings, gardener workshops, talks, other events! I'm thinking General Discussion, since not all events would focus exclusively on tomatoes.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:37 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 am Worth, that is unfortunate. Boggy Creek does have a farm market that isn’t an event just a place to buy locally grown vegetables and other goods from local businesses. I have never been there-just found them online —they repaired and restored a historical house at the farm . Very few of those left in Austin. The owner used to write amusing stories about her chickens—all working ‘pets’ that live their full life on the farm.

Plain Jane, your tasting event looks fantastic. You put out such a range of beautiful tomatoes. Smaller gatherings are fun and intimate with
just family and friends. I think it must be easier to judge them too when you are sitting down and can really taste them to compare rather than the daunting task of tasting a few hundred where after a while you never want to see a tomato again.
Exactly. I try to limit the list to between 12 and 14 because taste fatigue sets in. People write very funny stuff on the sheets sometimes; I save them all. After the tasting part I do a bunch of finger food and then send everyone home with a bag of garden goodies. It’s big-time fun!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:49 pm

MsCowpea wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 am I think that is a good idea. Be sure and go to the Austin one. (By the way have you ever heard of Boggy Creek Farm? They operate an organic farm and have a produce stand at the farm.
I have read about them for years -they used to send out an interesting newsletter. Their produce looks phenomenal. They have events like farm
dinners to raise money for good causes. There is also an Urban Farm Tour in Austin . Farm tours are great.

https://eastaustinurbanfarmtour.com/

We went to tomato tastings over the years all across country-they were great events to combine with a sightseeing trip. It is a shame but the really huge ones like TomatoFest in Carmel, Ca (350 varieties) and
Kendall-Jackson Winery in Sonoma, Ca. (180 varieties) discontinued after many many years. KJ had tomato tastings for 20 years.

Seed Savers Exchange has one every year which is nice but very small . The farm and visitor center are lovely. However, it is a trek to get there as they are not that close to a major airport. We ended up combining it with a trip to St. Paul/ Minneapolis. There are closer airports to SSE farm but we love the twin cities.
Have read about them but never visited. Must go at least check it out.

See, I'm the type of person that would travel to go to a tomato tasting. It would be an adventure. 😁
~ Emmie ~

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm

PlainJane wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:58 am DH and I have held a sit-down tomato tasting the last 3 years; it’s the highlight of my gardening season.
I’m pretty sure others here have done the same. I’d love to hear about smaller events as well as the larger, sponsored ones.
PlainJane, I really love this and the pictures. What a fun thing to do with the family and friends! I'm going to talk to my sister about helping me try to set this up this year for us. Thanks for sharing the pics!
~ Emmie ~

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:58 pm

MissS wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 am We can create this forum for you. What would you like to name it and where would you like us to put it?
I was thinking a section called Tomato Events with a sub-category for tomato tastings/festivals and another sub-category for workshops. Doesnt have to be specifically for breeding but anything tomato educational.

I so new to the forum and the group I wasn't sure how much anyone would be interested, so I appreciate everyone's feedback. 😊
~ Emmie ~

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Setec Astronomy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:58 am
Texgal wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 pm Same for any tomato breeding workshops. I'm checking out the local master gardeners and extension offices and looks like slim pickens for that kind of thing.
Fred Hempel/Artisan Seeds does a tomato breeding workshop at his Green Bee Farm (Baia Nicchia) in Sunol, California. His next one is July 11. You can find out about it on the Green Bee Farm Facebook page.
Thanks Setec Astronomy, they came up in a google search recently but I could not find the info on their website. I'll check on FB.
~ Emmie ~

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:06 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:00 pm I would love this. We of all people need to know about tomato tastings, eggplant tastings, gardener workshops, talks, other events! I'm thinking General Discussion, since not all events would focus exclusively on tomatoes.
Sorry [mention]Nan6b[/mention] I missed your comment before responding to [mention]MissS[/mention] post. Sure I think that is a good suggestion, any way the mods organize it will be great.
~ Emmie ~

Texgal
Reactions:

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:08 pm

worth1 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:30 am I went to an event at the Boggy creek farm a few years ago.
Wasn't happy there and wanted to leave as soon as I got there.
Too many people and I bet it is even worse now with the re-gentrification of East Austin.
Just not my cup of tea and I felt so out of place.
Worth, Totally off topic here but it just popped into my head how many places I have lived in Texas that have a Boggy Creek. 😉😁
~ Emmie ~

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:30 am

I am including a link to the 2019 Rutgers tasting just to give an idea as to what they offer and the address. I will post the 2020 one when they send out the info. It is true that after tasting so many varieties I am pretty much “tomatoed out” for the season!
I do my own private one as well with no more than 6 people and up to 12 varieties. Each person is encouraged to bring one variety to share.

Here is the link:

https://snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/tomato-tasting/

Return to “Gatherings”