2020 MMMM swap

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

root_grow
Reactions:

Re: MMMM swap

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:55 pm

I grew Purple Calabash in my very first garden, before I learned tomatoes had reputations. One from seed grown by a local nursery and one was given to me by someone who'd been growing and distributing heirloom tomatoes for decades. They were beautiful and super tolerant of my unintentional abuse. I like tomatoes with intense flavor, especially if they're a bit on the acidic side, and I loved those Purple Calabash!! My SO and everyone else I shared them with agreed they were delicious, the only reason I haven't grown them again is the draw of new-to-me varieties. They were the tastiest tomato that year though, probably even the one I should credit for teaching me just how much more delicious a homegrown tomato can be ;)

It seems some tomatoes are pickier than others about their growing conditions, and a subset of those seem to shout about it through flavor. I don't think a tomato could stick around for years or keep being sold by multiple vendors if they tasted like rotten ham, limes or fish everywhere they went!

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 pm

Whoa! Now I'm really intrigued by this notorious Purple 'monster'... So many have commented on its bad taste (not just here, but on every gardening site I've been on)
Man, that must be really something. I can happily tolerate a funky-tasting variety, but so many 'good' or 'safe' tomatoes have been bland, boring and left me empty.
Knowing how delicious dark tomatoes can be, I cannot really imagine that one can go wrong with any of them..
But I'll let you know my verdict after I have grown it :P

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 am

I was talking with some new gardeners several years ago. They mentioned they’d grown a fantastic tomato. Marvelous flavor! So good! I couldn’t wait to hear what it was! Purple calabash, of course.

But then, every homegrown tomato is a revelation if all you’ve had are those round red things they sell in grocery stores.

(And the one year I grew it, I thought purple calabash was interesting. Not bad. )

lee53011
Reactions:

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:46 pm

I would love to join. I don't have any seeds though, so would need a sponsor. I also have no idea how, when, or where this happens. I am looking for black prince, pink oxheart, russian 117, Paul Robeson, Italian Heirloom, Amish paste, and Trip L Crop, for a start. I only have a few seeds of Olpaka for next year. I use most of my tomatoes for spaghetti sauce.

Thanks,
Lee

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:39 am

lee53011 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:46 pm I would love to join. I don't have any seeds though, so would need a sponsor. I also have no idea how, when, or where this happens. I am looking for black prince, pink oxheart, russian 117, Paul Robeson, Italian Heirloom, Amish paste, and Trip L Crop, for a start. I only have a few seeds of Olpaka for next year. I use most of my tomatoes for spaghetti sauce.

Thanks,
Lee
Ok you now have a sponsor. We have to move quickly because Santa is already filling the sleigh. I am sending you a PM. Please respond by finding the notification in the upper right hand corner. :)
~ Patti ~

Julianna
Reactions:

Re: 2020 MMMM swap

Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:38 am

Obviously, I am too late to the party, but I wanted to make sure I had a handle on this for this year! I will beed to start bagging and saving seed in advance since I am due end of September and having a newborn plus toddler is going to hamper my 1. Brain power and 2. Will to do anything except pass out and never wake up. :)

(Full disclosure, brain power is already impaired lol)

So! If I have got it right, I can send in a wish list with the return address card and such. I can send in seeds -- so I need to get the proper baggies and then bag about 5-10 seeds per baggie, right? With 10 bags per variety? That number of seeds gets me into a category, correct? And if I wanted to cross a category, like I really want hearts but don't have hearts to offer, will i need a sponsor for that?

Thank you! It is my second season in this yard after not having tomato space for 10 years so I am kind of starting over and my collection is small as far as quantity/volume per variety. Trying to trial out things in this cool climate and it is an adventure!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:56 am

Julianna wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:38 am Obviously, I am too late to the party, but I wanted to make sure I had a handle on this for this year! I will beed to start bagging and saving seed in advance since I am due end of September and having a newborn plus toddler is going to hamper my 1. Brain power and 2. Will to do anything except pass out and never wake up. :)

(Full disclosure, brain power is already impaired lol)

So! If I have got it right, I can send in a wish list with the return address card and such. I can send in seeds -- so I need to get the proper baggies and then bag about 5-10 seeds per baggie, right? With 10 bags per variety? That number of seeds gets me into a category, correct? And if I wanted to cross a category, like I really want hearts but don't have hearts to offer, will i need a sponsor for that?

Thank you! It is my second season in this yard after not having tomato space for 10 years so I am kind of starting over and my collection is small as far as quantity/volume per variety. Trying to trial out things in this cool climate and it is an adventure!
By fall, we'll all forget how the swap works. ;)

Cool climate you say? Would you like to trial salpiglossis superbissima? All I need is for you to PM me a mailing address.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:59 am

lee53011 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:46 pm I would love to join. I don't have any seeds though, so would need a sponsor. I also have no idea how, when, or where this happens. I am looking for black prince, pink oxheart, russian 117, Paul Robeson, Italian Heirloom, Amish paste, and Trip L Crop, for a start. I only have a few seeds of Olpaka for next year. I use most of my tomatoes for spaghetti sauce.

Thanks,
Lee
I doubt that you've started seeds, yet. PM me a mailing address. And, anything beyond tomatoes that you're looking for?

Julianna
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:52 am

Tormato wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:56 am

By fall, we'll all forget how the swap works. ;)

Cool climate you say? Would you like to trial salpiglossis superbissima? All I need is for you to PM me a mailing address.
Hahaha! Well if you will accept a lesser number of packets per variety I can send in probably like 100 or so packets lol.

I would love to! I have been eying that flower. I will pm you!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

bjbebs
Reactions:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 pm

Did someone mention painted tongue seed in a foreign language. My wife wants to get her flower garden back in operation in northern Wisc. Painted tongue was always the star attraction. Have tried to grow it in the humid mid-west with little luck. Any extra seed out there?

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 am

bjbebs wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 pm Did someone mention painted tongue seed in a foreign language. My wife wants to get her flower garden back in operation in northern Wisc. Painted tongue was always the star attraction. Have tried to grow it in the humid mid-west with little luck. Any extra seed out there?
PM me a mailing address.

I'm going start indoors soon, transplant out as soon as possible, and try about 6" of mulch, to see what happens.

And, there's extra seed for any other askers.

Skyblue52
Reactions:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am

I am so disappointed . Only one of my grow out seeds germanatied. If anybody has extra yukon Quest or velvet night I will pay postage. thank you

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Skyblue52 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am I am so disappointed . Only one of my grow out seeds germanatied. If anybody has extra yukon Quest or velvet night I will pay postage. thank you
[mention]Skyblue52[/mention] You should also post this in the Seeds Wanted forum so that more people see it.
~ Patti ~

Return to “MMMM Swap”