2020 MMMM swap

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: MMMM swap

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:30 pm

ddsack wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:55 pm @Tormato If you are logged in and already at the Growing Tomatoes page, you should be able to start a new discussion on that board by clicking in the Start a discussion Space.

Then that takes you to another input screen -

Since you are already at the Growing Tomatoes Group, it should show up there. I'll admit I have not posted anything new for a long time so can't say for sure that it works well. I would ignore that space on the 2nd screen up at the top for Houzz "search discussions". Confusing.
The first attempt almost faded out the page, but I knew something was activated. After several minutes my message was posted to a forum. After that, posting to the other forums was instantaneous. Now, I sit back and wait for some long-time traders and newbies to respond.

Gthegardener
Reactions:

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:45 pm

I would love to participate!
“Life begins the day you start a garden” - Chinese proverb

tranquilDoe
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 am

I am new and would love a sponsor, for Cherry/Grape/Current, Eastern European, and Very Early.
Cool Weather would be great too, if that's a possibility.
Very excited to learn more!

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am

tranquilDoe wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 am I am new and would love a sponsor, for Cherry/Grape/Current, Eastern European, and Very Early.
Don't worry about a sponsor. I can easily cover you for the first 2 categories. And, you'll likely get much of what comes in for the other 2 (which haven't been that popular of categories).

You'll be overloaded with varieties from the first 2 categories. As for Very Early and Cool Weather, much depends on what is sent into the swap, and how participants categorize their varieties. As an example, a variety may be sent in as a "Red', but if it is not mentioned that it also does great in cool weather, I may not know. I'll write up something in the MMMM tips & suggestions thread about participants putting a variety in a category,and also providing info on the other categories it can go into.

Starting a thread, if there already isn't one, about having people post varieties that are very early and/or do well in cool weather may help. I can monitor any listings and then see if some of those varieties are sent in.

tranquilDoe
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:33 pm

[mention]Tormato[/mention] I really appreciate it! Very thoughtful of you to think of adding to the MMMM tips and to offer to monitor listings.

I started a new thread for Very Early and/or Cool Weather here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1686
Tormato wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am
tranquilDoe wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 am I am new and would love a sponsor, for Cherry/Grape/Current, Eastern European, and Very Early.
Don't worry about a sponsor. I can easily cover you for the first 2 categories. And, you'll likely get much of what comes in for the other 2 (which haven't been that popular of categories).

You'll be overloaded with varieties from the first 2 categories. As for Very Early and Cool Weather, much depends on what is sent into the swap, and how participants categorize their varieties. As an example, a variety may be sent in as a "Red', but if it is not mentioned that it also does great in cool weather, I may not know. I'll write up something in the MMMM tips & suggestions thread about participants putting a variety in a category,and also providing info on the other categories it can go into.

Starting a thread, if there already isn't one, about having people post varieties that are very early and/or do well in cool weather may help. I can monitor any listings and then see if some of those varieties are sent in.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:55 pm

There always seems to be way more guests than registered users reading threads at Tomato Junction. So guests, if you've read this deep into the maelstrom, the first one to register and send me a PM (private mail) gets into the MMMM for free. No bubble mailer, no return postage, etc...

And already registered users, if you PM me, I'll be checking the date and time you registered. At a later date, I'll offer this same freebie, to you.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm very excited. I started packing up seed packets!
20200918_152910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:38 pm
wykvlvr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:25 pm
You need to submit 10 packs of 5-10 seeds per category entered
Different varieties or can you send in duplicates? For example I only have 9 varieties of my micros...
We have to be flexible with a participant such as yourself. In most categories, for each 10 packs of seeds of a single variety sent in, you would get back 10 different varieties within that category.

Taken to an extreme, I once had a participant send in 10 packs each of 20 different cherry varieties, and they expected 200 different cherries in return. I responded that if 200 varieties do come in they'd get the 200. The 200 happened because cherry varieties are likely second to beefsteaks in popularity.

Sending in 10 packs each of 9 micro varieties would likely be impossible to get back 90 different micro varieties, unless something has really changed in the micro world. You would get back every micro variety that comes in, that you don't have. And if you haven't participated in the Micro Project here, there "might be" experimental micros from the MP sent in to the MMMM. If you grow anything beyond micro tomatoes; other tomatoes, other veggies, fruits, flowers, etc.., we just have to wait to see what comes in. After nearly all packages arrive, I usually post a list of all non-tomato seeds for participants to choose from. That list would likely be posted just before or after Thanksgiving.
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but this is my first time participating and I want to make sure I'm sending what you need. Which is preferable? Sending in fewer varieties, but 10 packs of each? Or sending in a greater number of different varieties with fewer (i.e. 5) packs each? I ask because I have quite a few uncommon varieties, especially in the E. European and short season categories. I'm planning on sending in a total of 150 - 200 packs which includes 50 packs of one variety which we discussed.
Debbie

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:10 pm

OhioGardener wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 am
Tormato wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:38 pm
wykvlvr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:25 pm
You need to submit 10 packs of 5-10 seeds per category entered
Different varieties or can you send in duplicates? For example I only have 9 varieties of my micros...
We have to be flexible with a participant such as yourself. In most categories, for each 10 packs of seeds of a single variety sent in, you would get back 10 different varieties within that category.

Taken to an extreme, I once had a participant send in 10 packs each of 20 different cherry varieties, and they expected 200 different cherries in return. I responded that if 200 varieties do come in they'd get the 200. The 200 happened because cherry varieties are likely second to beefsteaks in popularity.

Sending in 10 packs each of 9 micro varieties would likely be impossible to get back 90 different micro varieties, unless something has really changed in the micro world. You would get back every micro variety that comes in, that you don't have. And if you haven't participated in the Micro Project here, there "might be" experimental micros from the MP sent in to the MMMM. If you grow anything beyond micro tomatoes; other tomatoes, other veggies, fruits, flowers, etc.., we just have to wait to see what comes in. After nearly all packages arrive, I usually post a list of all non-tomato seeds for participants to choose from. That list would likely be posted just before or after Thanksgiving.
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, but this is my first time participating and I want to make sure I'm sending what you need. Which is preferable? Sending in fewer varieties, but 10 packs of each? Or sending in a greater number of different varieties with fewer (i.e. 5) packs each? I ask because I have quite a few uncommon varieties, especially in the E. European and short season categories. I'm planning on sending in a total of 150 - 200 packs which includes 50 packs of one variety which we discussed.
Preferable for me would be less varieties with more packs of each (less work). But, preferable for participants would be more rare varieties. And, this year participants win with more varieties, because I have the time to do more work.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:47 pm

Question for clarification, my only plants I grew and saved seeds from this year are beefsteak category. Does this exclude me from other categories on the receiving end? In other words, would I be eligible to have cherry/hybrid/etc sent back to me?

Obviously being the first time, I'm not stocked up or prepared for this, but I'm very excited and plan to be more prepared next year.

And what should i do to receive the Momotato hybrid seeds? Is including the $1 in the envelope with the pre-stamped return envelope good?
- - - - - - - -

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:47 pm Question for clarification, my only plants I grew and saved seeds from this year are beefsteak category. Does this exclude me from other categories on the receiving end? In other words, would I be eligible to have cherry/hybrid/etc sent back to me?

Obviously being the first time, I'm not stocked up or prepared for this, but I'm very excited and plan to be more prepared next year.

And what should i do to receive the Momotato hybrid seeds? Is including the $1 in the envelope with the pre-stamped return envelope good?
What you're not prepared for is the return package.

Antonucci Slicer could go into 3 categories, Beefsteak, Red, and Italian. Preferably Beefsteak, or Red, as I'm unsure if 10 Italian varieties will show up to begin to make that category happen.

There should be loads of cherry varieties, as just my listing in the spoiler alert has about 50 varieties each with 10 or more packs. So, go ahead and request them on your wish list, whether it's varieties in the spoiler alert, specific varieties you might be looking for, or just the cherry category itself.

Other than Momotaro, hybrids have a limited number of packs. If I get more requests than that number, I start splitting packs of 10 seeds into packs of 5. The $1 goes into a bubble mailer (not an envelope, as you're going to see why) along with your seeds and wish list, which can be pre-stamped, and put into a larger envelope with postage and my address.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:31 pm

Thank you for clarifying. Much of this may seem obvious, but i don't want to assume anything. This is wonderful that you do this for the community and I wouldn't want to make your life harder, or "stick you with the bill".

Much thanks!
-Robert
- - - - - - - -

jlhart76
Reactions:

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 am

Saw your post over on gardenweb. Looking through my collection to see if I have enough to join, otherwise I might need a sponsor.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 pm

jlhart76 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 am Saw your post over on gardenweb. Looking through my collection to see if I have enough to join, otherwise I might need a sponsor.
If you need a sponsor, PM me and I will be happy to help you out.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Brody, we need a bigger boat

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Brody they are coming and we need a bigger boat.

~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Brody, we need a bigger boat

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:32 pm

MissS wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:26 pm Brody they are coming and we need a bigger boat.

Those in the orchestra usually have tough callused hands. They don't have city hands, Hooper.

I see that you've sponsored a shark. I'm ready with 5 barrels on the Orca.

Quint

EdieJ
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:33 pm

I am kinda out of it loopy right now and can't remember things... When do the seeds need sent by?
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:22 pm

EdieJ wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:33 pm I am kinda out of it loopy right now and can't remember things... When do the seeds need sent by?
About November 20th.

The "MMMM requirements" thread can refresh memories.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:55 am

[mention]Tormato[/mention] reading through the spoiler alerts it looks like you will have at least 6 or 7 varieties of Micro Dwarfs sent in. Some by me, some by others but most are varieties I already have. It is unlikely you will get many varieties I don't already have of the Micro Dwarfs but there are a crap ton of other types I have never had or tried already being listed in the spoiler threads. So the questions is can I NOT get Micro Dwarfs back but rather get seeds from other categories? For instance there is one Micro Dwarf mentioned in the spoiler alert I would like but none of the others as I already have them. So my wishlist would include that Micro Dwarf then a scattering of varieties in other categories...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:07 pm

wykvlvr wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:55 am @Tormato reading through the spoiler alerts it looks like you will have at least 6 or 7 varieties of Micro Dwarfs sent in. Some by me, some by others but most are varieties I already have. It is unlikely you will get many varieties I don't already have of the Micro Dwarfs but there are a crap ton of other types I have never had or tried already being listed in the spoiler threads. So the questions is can I NOT get Micro Dwarfs back but rather get seeds from other categories? For instance there is one Micro Dwarf mentioned in the spoiler alert I would like but none of the others as I already have them. So my wishlist would include that Micro Dwarf then a scattering of varieties in other categories...

As a large supplier of Micros, you're a tremendous help for that category of the swap. Which means you can request anything.

Return to “MMMM Swap”