MMMM requirements

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

MMMM requirements

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Requirements:

MY ADDRESS:

(remove the smilies, which are there in an attempt to thwart any phishing)

Gary :D Fitzgerald
22 :D Francis St.
Westfield :D , MA 01085

DEADLINES:

For posting your wish lists in that forum, about November 1st.
For me receiving your package, about November 20th.

BUBBLE MAILER (or equivalent):

A size #0 (about 6" X 9") bubble mailer should be adequate for most participants. It will hold about 150 - 200 seed packs of tomatoes and similar sized seeds, like peppers.

LEGIBLE RETURN ADDRESS:

Inside the bubble mailer, include a written return address that the postal workers and I can read, not one where you can read your own "chicken scratch". This can be on your wish list or any other correspondence, such as special requests and contact info like your Tomato Junction username.

RETURN POSTAGE:

Cash or stamps only. This is the most forgotten item, by newbies exited in their first swap, and long-time participants concentrating on sending in lots of seeds. Current first class rates for packages over 3/4" are $3.80 for weights up to 4 ounces, and $4.60 for weights of 4 to 8 ounces. I will pack a test bubble mailer with about 150 tomato packs to see which of the above rates will likely be used.

In you sending bubble mailers to me with little contents, the rate might be only about $1.20 (under 3/4", and under 2 ounces). If you can find it, there's an online chart called the "United States Postal Service Retail Quick Tip Sheet". The upper left corner has the first-class info. The one thing I could never get info on from anyone at the post office was postage for packages beyond Zone 1 & 2. I couldn't even get a verification as to what Zone 1 & 2 were. But, with most packages going out around Christmas, I don't think the USPS cares, at that extremely busy time of year. Many packages never get stamps counter-stamped.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: MMMM requirements

Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 pm

If you are requesting F1 hybrids it would be great if you could include a $1.00 donation per pack so that seeds can be purchased for the next years swap. The donation is far cheaper than purchasing these seeds on your own.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Sat May 21, 2022 11:09 am

When can we start sending you seeds for the next MMMM Swap?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat May 21, 2022 12:35 pm

Shule wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:09 am When can we start sending you seeds for the next MMMM Swap?
I only have two concerns.

With newly harvested seeds, I'd like them to be thoroughly dry. With a late harvest, like with winter squash, sometimes that can't always happen. So, participants tell me in advance that the seed may not be entirely dry. I can then dry their seed a bit further.

The other concern is that, right now, it might be over 100 degrees in my mailbox. So, perhaps checking southern New England estimated temps about 4 days out, prior to shipping, would be best.

Other than that, people can send seeds at any time. It's up to individuals if they'd like to discuss anything by PM, first.

wodehouse
Reactions:

Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:41 pm

A couple of newbie questions...I have quite a few tomato seeds I saved last year (2021). Can I send them to you as part of the MMMM exchange? If so, is there a minimum number of packets, or a minimum number of seeds per packet? Thanks for putting all this together!

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:11 am

wodehouse wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:41 pm A couple of newbie questions...I have quite a few tomato seeds I saved last year (2021). Can I send them to you as part of the MMMM exchange? If so, is there a minimum number of packets, or a minimum number of seeds per packet? Thanks for putting all this together!
@Tormato As another noob to the swap I have the same questions as @wodehouse . For example, I buy packets of seed from joints like Seed Savers and never use them all so might as well pass them on. I would include the source and year in my labels. None are super rare varieties, of course, but someone might still want some.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:07 am

DriftlessRoots wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:11 am
wodehouse wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:41 pm A couple of newbie questions...I have quite a few tomato seeds I saved last year (2021). Can I send them to you as part of the MMMM exchange? If so, is there a minimum number of packets, or a minimum number of seeds per packet? Thanks for putting all this together!
@Tormato As another noob to the swap I have the same questions as @wodehouse . For example, I buy packets of seed from joints like Seed Savers and never use them all so might as well pass them on. I would include the source and year in my labels. None are super rare varieties, of course, but someone might still want some.
Listing the year purchased is OK. A "standard" among some traders is to write a C inside of a small circle to designate that it is commercial seed. Listing the source, or not, is up to the participant.

LindyAdele
Reactions:

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:36 pm

Hi! I have participated in this swap twice, and it was an amazing experience! I'm having a great tomato year, so wanted to participate again. Only catch is, I'm Canadian....
Are we allowed to participate, and if so - what is the best way to pay you for postage if I can't access US stamps?
( Willing to buy and them send commercial F1 in high demand, for example...)
Totally understand if Canadians are excluded. If there is another swap to point me to, I'm happy to participate or even organize a smaller one.
LINDY

zone 5
short season, with hot summers, Ontario Canada
Enchanted by colourful vegetables that can be grown in her city backyard, world cuisine, forests and firelight.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:12 am

LindyAdele wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:36 pm Hi! I have participated in this swap twice, and it was an amazing experience! I'm having a great tomato year, so wanted to participate again. Only catch is, I'm Canadian....
Are we allowed to participate, and if so - what is the best way to pay you for postage if I can't access US stamps?
( Willing to buy and them send commercial F1 in high demand, for example...)
Totally understand if Canadians are excluded. If there is another swap to point me to, I'm happy to participate or even organize a smaller one.
I've missed this post until now, as I scroll by the requirements thread, not expecting posts, here.

Canadians are most welcome. Postage is quite a bit higher than mailing domestically. Are US dollars available to you? If not, there are usually some participants in the swap who send in a bit extra to cover those who can't access US cash/stamps, or who forget to include postage. Some of them are those who previously forgot to send in postage, feeling a bit guilty of being covered by others, I guess.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:19 pm

I will send in extra cash to cover Lindy's shipping back to her.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:59 am

What if... What if our year was so terrible we didnt get seeds yet? Can we request a sponsor here?
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 am

Julianna wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:59 am What if... What if our year was so terrible we didnt get seeds yet? Can we request a sponsor here?
Just work on posting a wish list, and hopefully things will fall into place with sponsors.

Right now, I don't know if I'll have any new seeds to contribute. At least there are reserves from prior harvests and donations.

Each year, there is no way of initially knowing how many will participate. I'l post a thread soon asking about who is going to do so. I guess this is a call for those with a large harvest or good amounts of previous years seeds, to step up.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:17 am

Julianna wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:59 am What if... What if our year was so terrible we didnt get seeds yet? Can we request a sponsor here?
Yep I had to do that last year and sadly may have to do it again this year if I play.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:20 pm

OK, how many packs of seed or type or whatever does one need to send to someone to sponsor them? Or are the seeds sent to you with a note that says who they're for? I tried searching this and haven't found a clear explanation.

Also, since the post office has raised rates do we need to send a bit more with our seeds?

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:52 pm

wykvlvr wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:17 am
Yep I had to do that last year and sadly may have to do it again this year if I play.
Aww, man! I am sorry.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:59 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 am
Just work on posting a wish list, and hopefully things will fall into place with sponsors.

Right now, I don't know if I'll have any new seeds to contribute. At least there are reserves from prior harvests and donations.

Each year, there is no way of initially knowing how many will participate. I'l post a thread soon asking about who is going to do so. I guess this is a call for those with a large harvest or good amounts of previous years seeds, to step up.
Sounds good. It is sad it is such a bad year for so many.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:50 pm

Julianna wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:59 pm
Tormato wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 am

Sounds good. It is sad it is such a bad year for so many.
Julianna, PM me in a week or two to see if I have enough seed to sponsor you. I would like to but my tomatoes are only just starting to come in and I just don't want to commit until I know that the seeds are available to be able to sponsor you. ;)
~ Patti ~

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:55 pm

MissS wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:50 pm

Julianna, PM me in a week or two to see if I have enough seed to sponsor you. I would like to but my tomatoes are only just starting to come in and I just don't want to commit until I know that the seeds are available to be able to sponsor you. ;)
Sounds good! Thank you!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:13 pm

I am a bit confused on the bubble mailers. I send Tormato a bubble mailer inside another mailer of some kind? Inside all is my address and seeds I am contributing. And money for return postage. Or do I send one bubble mailer, and it is re-used to send back to me?

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:03 pm

Couple more questions. I don't have a lot of varieties any more, just my favorite few. So I will be sending multiple seed envelopes of the same variety, if that is alright. How many seeds per pack? Been a while since I was in a large swap, and don't remember details. I am thinking 10-20 seeds? One other question is how old the seeds can be? I quit saving every year, and one of my varieties is 2018. All my brandywine cowlicks I started this year were from 2017, and I had great germination. I have new seeds saved from everything this year, but that one variety. I will do a germination test today, and I would bet it will be good. I have a small list of wants, some kind of rare. I will send extra packets to cover others and donate some extra cash also.

Return to “MMMM Swap”