MMMM Seed Swap tips & suggestions

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

MMMM Seed Swap tips & suggestions

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Tape - I only use heavy duty clear packing tape, quality brands. Off-brands and non-heavy duty tape can easily tear. Transparent 3/4" wide tape is basically useless. A new bubble mailer's seal is usually OK. Re-using paper coated bubble mailers several times by pealing off old labels leaves a fuzzy surface that tape does not stick well to. Please no tape on the inside, attempting to neatly arrange seed packs on card stock. If it arrives neatly, I have to take about the same time undoing the tape that you put into taping. If it doesn't arrive neatly, it's a ball of tape and seed packs.

Staples - No staples, please. Seed packs have an ability to wedge under a staple, and tear open on the staple's sharp edge.

Permanent markers - If labeling seed packs on the outside of the pack, make sure the ink is dry and then test to see if it easily smudges. Very thin markers are usually the culprit. I generally use 2" X 3" clear plastic zip baggies with the labels inside.

Opening your returned package - If over-stuffed, gently tap it on a surface to create some space at the top before cutting open. You don't want to cut the contents. If you're not cutting, you're likely pealing off 3 to 5 layers of ...heavy duty packing tape.

More to come as I remember things. And, any participants tips and suggestions are welcome.

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: MMMM tips & suggestions

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Communication - A note in your bubble mailer, with that legible return address, can include types (categories) of tomatoes you'd like, types you do not want (if any). Also, you may request multiple packs of a few varieties. Some gardeners grow many plants of a canning/sauce variety, as an example of why they would request more than one pack (which may be only 5 seeds).

It's unknown. for now, how many seeds will be in each pack. I set a minimum of 5 seeds for tomatoes and beans in a pack, 10 for peppers. So, use those for guidelines as to how many packs you'd like.

And, I'd like to go back to the original purpose of the swap, started many years ago, before it morphed into what it is. It was an attempt to locate participants' #1 variety of tomato that they're looking for. So, I hope to see that #1 in your communication. And, I hope the variety makes it into the swap.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Now that this year's MMMM is coming to a close, I was wondering what we could do better to help you Tormato. I saw your post on the Delivery thread, but thought the topic could use more attention.

In your post you mentioned the Nifty Fifty. Which I would imagine to be the most fun way for all parties involved to make things easier on your end.

My question to this would be:
If their are 50 participants, and assuming 10 seeds in a packet. We would need to ensure we produce enough produce for 500 seeds for any given variety, correct? Gotta plan my garden out now ☺️
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:29 pm ...y question to this would be:
If their are 50 participants, and assuming 10 seeds in a packet. We would need to ensure we produce enough produce for 500 seeds for any given variety, correct? Gotta plan my garden out now ☺️
Surprisingly, 500 seeds isn't that much, if you pay attention to seed saving. In past years, I tried to save lots of seeds, with an eye to sharing them later. This year, I had perhaps an overambitious garden and paid less attention to seed saving, but still, I got a LOT of seeds of the one variety that I hadn't grown in 10 years that I was focused on replenishing. I could have saved many more seeds of more varieties if I had diligently scooped and fermented seeds from each tomato I ate (and asked my partner to do the same). But that was not my focus this year.

Even when I'm filling 10 packets with 10-20 seeds each, it seems I still have a lot left over, most years. And if the packet has only 5 seeds, then it's only 250 seeds to fill 50 packets.

Paste tomatoes that have few seeds might be more difficult, but if you grow several paste plants for processing, it'd be possible to harvest enough seeds to share, if you scoop out seeds as you're cutting them up. (That might be a fun challenge: grow a productive paste for both sauce and seed sharing!)

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:12 pm

A minimum of 5 seeds per pack is for tomatoes, 10 seeds per pack for peppers.

And a tip for fermenting seeds of dry paste tomatoes, add liquid/gel (no seeds in it) from juicy varieties.

Spike
Reactions:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm

When mailing in seed packets how do you suggest keeping the packets of the same seeds together. I can't imagine you want to sort them?
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Spike wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm When mailing in seed packets how do you suggest keeping the packets of the same seeds together. I can't imagine you want to sort them?
Just stuff them in the mailer Tormato is quite proficient at sorting packs out. NO staples or tape. Include a list of what is in the package along with a description of the tomato and what category if any that you want it entered in. Do NOT FORGET to include a return label and postage. A Wish List too.

Here are the requirements: https://www.tomatojunction.com/viewtopi ... 117&t=1629
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:45 pm

Spike wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm When mailing in seed packets how do you suggest keeping the packets of the same seeds together. I can't imagine you want to sort them?
I started rubber banding them this time around. Looks to be working easily enough.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:42 am

How do you keep the seeds from bunching up in a large, padded envelope if you cannot tape them? The P.O. charges extra if they all clump together and make the package thicker.

Linda

Spike
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:55 am

With postal rates going up, how much cash/stamps are we supposed to send in with our package?
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:15 am

Labradors wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:42 am How do you keep the seeds from bunching up in a large, padded envelope if you cannot tape them? The P.O. charges extra if they all clump together and make the package thicker.

Linda
Generally, I receive two types of packages, thin ones and thick ones. The thin ones don't require taping, as there isn't enough inside to bunch up. And the thick ones, we're talking where there's basically no room to insert one more pack.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:25 am

Spike wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:55 am With postal rates going up, how much cash/stamps are we supposed to send in with our package?
Postage rates aren't going up much, perhaps 20 cents more than last year, for the same size/weight package. An average package last year was likely between 3.50 and 4.00. And I averaged about 1.00 to 1.50 in a donation toward hybrid/commercial bought seed. So, $5.00 would be fine for a package containing tomato, pepper, other small seed, and a relatively small amount of bean seed. Large amounts of beans is another story involving flat rate mailing of packages.

On a side note, I just heard today that the postal slow down starts today. The good news is that letters/packages that were expected to be delivered in 1 to 3 days will now likely be 1 to 5 days. I can easily live with only a 2 day delay.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:27 am

Rubber bands around packets or packets put into a larger zip lock is what is usually used.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:16 am

How late is too late to join (for this year’s swap)? I finally saved seeds of a prolific tomato I got from Ukraine last year, and they should be fully dry by the end of the week. And I have lots of pepper seeds! Maybe some marigold seeds!

Sad story: I finally saved the seeds I wanted to save and cleared the table of the last of the tomatoes a week ago. I cut up the tomatoes that were still good and put them in the oven at 250F to roast for a few hours. At some point I turned the oven off but left the pan in the oven while we watched a video. And then I forgot about it until **four days later!!!** I was looking in the freezer and thinking that I didn’t remember putting away the tomatoes. And I was also wondering where that particular dish was….when I realized it was still in the oven!!!!!!!! Sigh. My compost has the best ingredients.
On the bright side, I serendipitously was given a lot of tomatoes yesterday and roasted them for 4 hours. So now we will have some delicious concentrated sauce for the next couple months.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:40 am

habitat-gardener wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:16 am How late is too late to join (for this year’s swap)? I finally saved seeds of a prolific tomato I got from Ukraine last year, and they should be fully dry by the end of the week. And I have lots of pepper seeds! Maybe some marigold seeds!

Sad story: I finally saved the seeds I wanted to save and cleared the table of the last of the tomatoes a week ago. I cut up the tomatoes that were still good and put them in the oven at 250F to roast for a few hours. At some point I turned the oven off but left the pan in the oven while we watched a video. And then I forgot about it until **four days later!!!** I was looking in the freezer and thinking that I didn’t remember putting away the tomatoes. And I was also wondering where that particular dish was….when I realized it was still in the oven!!!!!!!! Sigh. My compost has the best ingredients.
On the bright side, I serendipitously was given a lot of tomatoes yesterday and roasted them for 4 hours. So now we will have some delicious concentrated sauce for the next couple months.
It's never too late.

Especially with small seeds like tomatoes and peppers, If I've already sent out a package, and someone wants something more from late send-ins, it only costs a single stamp.

rusty
Reactions:

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 pm

mmmm is what exactly-- cant seem to find the list of acronyms / or abreviations anywhere on the site
The art of diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions---Winston Churchill

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:21 pm

rusty wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 pm mmmm is what exactly-- cant seem to find the list of acronyms / or abreviations anywhere on the site
Asking that question means you are getting dangerously close.

It's the yearly seed sway, that I host.

I haven't decided to keep the original name, Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing, or switch to the other one, Mostly Mystery 'Mater Maelstrom. The Maelstrom is much more explanatory, as it sucks in any unsuspecting person who gets too close.

Welcome to the forum, Rusty.

Got a life jacket?

rusty
Reactions:

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:33 am

Thanks!! :D
The art of diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions---Winston Churchill

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:19 am

I've seen posts about the MMMM for a long time, but I've not seen a description of how it works/rules. I presume it is posted somewhere, but I haven't found it. Is there a link or PDF? Thanks.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:59 am

Greatgardens wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:19 am I've seen posts about the MMMM for a long time, but I've not seen a description of how it works/rules. I presume it is posted somewhere, but I haven't found it. Is there a link or PDF? Thanks.
(once again) the condensed version...

You send me bubble mailer, return postage, legible return address.
I send back overstuffed bubble mailer, wreck your next season's garden plans.

There really aren't any rules, it's what each participant wants the swap to be, for them.

Return to “MMMM Swap”