2020 MMMM your #1 sought variety

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: MMMM your #1 sought variety

Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:50 pm

Reelcharacter wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm Anyone else finding this to be a very difficult exercise, narrowing the field down to pick just one?

I think I will go with Chocolate Stripes (or anything similar).
You appear to be on the wrong thread.

This thread is for us tomato nutjobs that have been seeking (for years) that ONE tomato variety that we must have. There's nothing very difficult. There's no narrowing the field down. Most certainly there is not anything similar. :roll:

You may want to go to the spoiler alert thread to look at some of the varieties that are coming in. You may then want to go to the wish list thread to list up to 25 varieties that you'd like.

But, if you ever reach nutjob status, and finally know the ONE you must have (with no guarantee that you'll ever find it), then and only then, do you come back here.

Reelcharacter
Reactions:

Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:01 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:50 pm
Reelcharacter wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm Anyone else finding this to be a very difficult exercise, narrowing the field down to pick just one?

I think I will go with Chocolate Stripes (or anything similar).
You appear to be on the wrong thread.

This thread is for us tomato nutjobs that have been seeking (for years) that ONE tomato variety that we must have. There's nothing very difficult. There's no narrowing the field down. Most certainly there is not anything similar. :roll:

You may want to go to the spoiler alert thread to look at some of the varieties that are coming in. You may then want to go to the wish list thread to list up to 25 varieties that you'd like.

But, if you ever reach nutjob status, and finally know the ONE you must have (with no guarantee that you'll ever find it), then and only then, do you come back here.
Your correct, while elusive and my number one current sought after variety, Chocolate Stripes is not, nor do I have one variety that I'm willing to trade my first born for. :D
Central NY - zone 5a

tranquilDoe
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm

My #1 desired tomato is Sirja's Love.

clara
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Sirja's Love is in the air to Gary! Unfortunately there are very few flights across the pond due to the virus, so I have no clue when my letter(s) will arrive.
per aspera ad astra

clara
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Dan McMurray, deceased way too early, has helped me a lot when I started my "tomato career". One variety I had got from him, was "Bangladesh Oxheart". This year, I wanted to re-grow it from my own saved seeds (2009), but none germinated although I tried all methods I know of. So if anybody has fresher seeds, I'd be more than thankful.
per aspera ad astra

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:53 pm

clara wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:37 pm Sirja's Love is in the air to Gary! Unfortunately there are very few flights across the pond due to the virus, so I have no clue when my letter(s) will arrive.
I just hope they arrive, and arrive before participants' seed starting dates. In the past, your envelopes went from Germany to Canada, then here. On the plus side, I'm receiving packages directly from Canada. If there is a long delay, say near the end of December, I may mail back packages, and then mail an additional letter with your seeds to participants that requested those specific varieties of yours.

clara
Reactions:

Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:03 pm

I am glad that there ARE flights across the pond! In summer, I was told by an employee of the post office that only diplomatic mail was sent because of the lack of space in the planes - or the prize was incredibly high (for a small parcel 72 Euros instead of 17...).
per aspera ad astra

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:14 pm

clara wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:42 pm Dan McMurray, deceased way too early, has helped me a lot when I started my "tomato career". One variety I had got from him, was "Bangladesh Oxheart". This year, I wanted to re-grow it from my own saved seeds (2009), but none germinated although I tried all methods I know of. So if anybody has fresher seeds, I'd be more than thankful.
Many of Dan's introductions and I believe his own creations have passed through my hands, over the years. I'll try to set aside any I find.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm

You may not want to view the MMMM spoiler alert, but there is 1 pack of Bangladesh heart, 2007 seed. While very old seed, most seed (of the same same age) from this donor has had about 50% germination.

clara
Reactions:

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Yes, I had seen this offer, Tormato. But I was hesitating as they are even older than my own seeds.
per aspera ad astra

ddsack
Reactions:

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:29 am

My #1 desired tomato is Sirja's Love.
clara wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:37 pm Sirja's Love is in the air to Gary! Unfortunately there are very few flights across the pond due to the virus, so I have no clue when my letter(s) will arrive.
I was not going to do the swap this year because I have too many past ungrown seeds, but I'm pretty sure I have some Sirja's Love that I can send in, in case Clara's is delayed. I don't have a large amount, but if [mention]tranquilDoe[/mention] wants to PM me after the swap, I could mail them to her directly.

clara
Reactions:

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:53 pm
I just hope they arrive, and arrive before participants' seed starting dates. In the past, your envelopes went from Germany to Canada, then here. On the plus side, I'm receiving packages directly from Canada. If there is a long delay, say near the end of December, I may mail back packages, and then mail an additional letter with your seeds to participants that requested those specific varieties of yours.
I got good news today: A letter to Canada (Québec region), sent the same day as the letters to Gary, has arrived today. So I have some hope that he will get my seeds in time.
per aspera ad astra

LK2020
Reactions:

Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm

seasyde wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:44 pm
Tormato wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:17 pm
seasyde wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:42 pm Dr. Suds Capon Bridge
I can't find a faint smilie.

I haven't heard of DSCB in about a decade. If you can locate Patty B. (WV) from Tomatoville, she might have it. She's collected most of the West Virginia heirlooms that I know about. I haven't heard much from her in the past couple of years, but she used to be a regular in the MMMM.
Well, I don't expect to ever find it. Still doesn't hurt to keep the name out there.... In the meantime I'll ponder my #1 realistic sought variety :D
You might try Delectation of Tomatoes, it looks like Dale has it:

https://www.delectationoftomatoes.com/s ... ridge.html

(Unless it's against the laws of nature to mention buying seeds in an MMMM thread). Sorry to butt in, but I've been lurking just to hear about esoteric tomatoes. The rules are not computing in my stress-drained brain right now - and I have too many seeds of varieties I still need to grow - but these threads are fascinating!

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:39 pm

;)
LK2020 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:32 pm
seasyde wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:44 pm
Tormato wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:17 pm
seasyde wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:42 pm Dr. Suds Capon Bridge
I can't find a faint smilie.

I haven't heard of DSCB in about a decade. If you can locate Patty B. (WV) from Tomatoville, she might have it. She's collected most of the West Virginia heirlooms that I know about. I haven't heard much from her in the past couple of years, but she used to be a regular in the MMMM.
Well, I don't expect to ever find it. Still doesn't hurt to keep the name out there.... In the meantime I'll ponder my #1 realistic sought variety :D
You might try Delectation of Tomatoes, it looks like Dale has it:

https://www.delectationoftomatoes.com/s ... ridge.html

(Unless it's against the laws of nature to mention buying seeds in an MMMM thread). Sorry to butt in, but I've been lurking just to hear about esoteric tomatoes. The rules are not computing in my stress-drained brain right now - and I have too many seeds of varieties I still need to grow - but these threads are fascinating!
There are no laws/rules in the MMMM swap.

Thank you for mentioning it. Reading the descriptions at Delectation, with input from Neil Lockhart and Bill Minkey, along with Dr. Sudduth as a seed source, and it being a pink beefsteak, if available it will be purchased. I just need to contact the participant who requested it, as to who will do the purchasing.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:06 pm

IT REALLY IS A WIG!

but hey, a million dollars and encouraging the rest of the wealthy to donate to the research for a covid vaccine is good enough for me....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Amateurinawe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:06 pm IT REALLY IS A WIG!

but hey, a million dollars and encouraging the rest of the wealthy to donate to the research for a covid vaccine is good enough for me....
?????????
~ Patti ~

LK2020
Reactions:

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:38 pm

How did Dolly Parton make it into this thread? :)

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 pm

LK2020 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:38 pm

How did Dolly Parton make it into this thread? :)
Dolly Parton is also a tomato variety, #1 on someone's wish list.

Return to “MMMM Swap”