2020 MMMM variety questions & maybe answers

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

2020 MMMM variety questions & maybe answers

Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:10 pm

This will be the thread for asking about varieties received. It's best to at least attempt an internet search, first.
Last edited by MissS on Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding year

TLC333
Reactions:

Re: MMMM variety questions & maybe answers

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 pm

I received my envelope! Thank you for all the hard work, very impressed.

I have had great success finding all but one tomato variety. That would be Krentje. I was trying to find the post in the wish list that talked about it but no luck. I did find a website in another language and I was able to translate beefsteak but a few sentences later cherry came up, and now I'm a bit confused.

I am mostly wanting to know basics... Indet or det? Color? Size? Maybe flavor? Days?

Appreciate the help!

Tristin
SW Wyoming
Elevation: 6,706 ft
Zone: 4 to 5
High winds
Growing days: 90 to 110

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 am

I ran a search in the forum and found the post. It is from [mention]clara[/mention] and she said
Krentje - hanging basket or staked, I've tried both. Very small red, a bit elongated cherries, extremely sweet, and what makes this variety so extraordinary, you can let the tomatoes dry on the vine and you'll get kind of tomato raisins. As the dried fruits tend to fall down, you should put a foliage under the plant, so that they don't get dirty in the soil - if your guests/visitors haven't cleared the vine before because of the sweetness of the tomatoes...
https://www.vreeken.nl/291435-bestomaatje-krentje
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Curious about LADY'S FINGERS ( Damskye Palchiki)
I did a search and they look like Roma tomatoes. The label with them says "Olpaka on steroids" which leads me to believe it's something more like a 6" long tomato.

Anyone have experience with this one?
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

steve ok
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 pm

What was the name of OhioGardener's Nifty Fifty tomato? I'm not sure if it was in my pack.

OhioGardener
Nifty Fifty (50 packs):
The variety will be a surprise, but it's an ultra-early dwarf, 14 – 16 in., that produces a massive amount of 2" red tomatoes and actually has a very good flavor. I received it in 1993 in Moscow without its original name and have been stewarding it ever since.

Pokemato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 pm

I made a post to the tomato talk area earlier today about how I stumbled upon the history of one of the varieties I received and how I connected with the man who named it today. The variety was Aunt Eula's Rockhouse Yellow. After I shared the story, I had a request from another member for the seed and while I am happy to share, I only have the one packet of seed from the swap. I wanted to first thank the member who shared this variety to preserve it and it's unique story and to see if that member is on here, if they might have any additional seed inventory of that variety they'd like to share. The gentleman who named the variety after his Aunt actually has only a few seed himself, as he wanted to share out the tomato and her legacy as widely as possible, so he didn't have any he could pass along. He would love for anyone who grows it, if willing, to share some seed back to him so he can continue his mission with it. I can get his contact info if anyone is interested in doing that. Thank you!

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Pokemato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 pm I made a post to the tomato talk area earlier today about how I stumbled upon the history of one of the varieties I received and how I connected with the man who named it today. The variety was Aunt Eula's Rockhouse Yellow. After I shared the story, I had a request from another member for the seed and while I am happy to share, I only have the one packet of seed from the swap. I wanted to first thank the member who shared this variety to preserve it and it's unique story and to see if that member is on here, if they might have any additional seed inventory of that variety they'd like to share. The gentleman who named the variety after his Aunt actually has only a few seed himself, as he wanted to share out the tomato and her legacy as widely as possible, so he didn't have any he could pass along. He would love for anyone who grows it, if willing, to share some seed back to him so he can continue his mission with it. I can get his contact info if anyone is interested in doing that. Thank you!
The participant who shared it sent it in as a Nifty Fifty variety. My guess is that they have more seed. I have more seed, as I'm not up to 50 packages sent out.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm

steve ok wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 pm What was the name of OhioGardener's Nifty Fifty tomato? I'm not sure if it was in my pack.

OhioGardener
Nifty Fifty (50 packs):
The variety will be a surprise, but it's an ultra-early dwarf, 14 – 16 in., that produces a massive amount of 2" red tomatoes and actually has a very good flavor. I received it in 1993 in Moscow without its original name and have been stewarding it ever since.
Premus

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:37 pm Curious about LADY'S FINGERS ( Damskye Palchiki)
I did a search and they look like Roma tomatoes. The label with them says "Olpaka on steroids" which leads me to believe it's something more like a 6" long tomato.

After sending out your package, I received another 20 packs of Lady Fingers. Your 2 old seeds might not cut it, so I'll send more.

Pokemato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Pokemato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 pm I made a post to the tomato talk area earlier today about how I stumbled upon the history of one of the varieties I received and how I connected with the man who named it today. The variety was Aunt Eula's Rockhouse Yellow. After I shared the story, I had a request from another member for the seed and while I am happy to share, I only have the one packet of seed from the swap. I wanted to first thank the member who shared this variety to preserve it and it's unique story and to see if that member is on here, if they might have any additional seed inventory of that variety they'd like to share. The gentleman who named the variety after his Aunt actually has only a few seed himself, as he wanted to share out the tomato and her legacy as widely as possible, so he didn't have any he could pass along. He would love for anyone who grows it, if willing, to share some seed back to him so he can continue his mission with it. I can get his contact info if anyone is interested in doing that. Thank you!
The participant who shared it sent it in as a Nifty Fifty variety. My guess is that they have more seed. I have more seed, as I'm not up to 50 packages sent out.
Great! [mention]bjbebs[/mention] was hoping to get some seed if someone could share a small pack with him. I was happy to share from what I received, but if there is another pack up for grabs, that would be great so that both of us could grow out this variety.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:26 pm

Pokemato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:18 pm
Great! @bjbebs was hoping to get some seed if someone could share a small pack with him. I was happy to share from what I received, but if there is another pack up for grabs, that would be great so that both of us could grow out this variety.
He's in the swap. I'll send him extra seed so he can pass some back to you.

Pokemato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:26 pm
Pokemato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:18 pm
Great! @bjbebs was hoping to get some seed if someone could share a small pack with him. I was happy to share from what I received, but if there is another pack up for grabs, that would be great so that both of us could grow out this variety.
He's in the swap. I'll send him extra seed so he can pass some back to you.
THANK YOU for all you do to make this swap work AND all of the extra stuff, like this! You are the BEST!

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:13 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:22 pm
Rockoe10 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:37 pm Curious about LADY'S FINGERS ( Damskye Palchiki)

After sending out your package, I received another 20 packs of Lady Fingers. Your 2 old seeds might not cut it, so I'll send more.
That's wonderful! To be honest, i was feeling a bit of pressure with having the last two seeds hahaha.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

guruofgardens
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:55 am

Tormato, Lady's Fingers sounds like an excellent tomato for us. If there are extra, could you please add it to my stash of seeds? Thanks.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:22 pm

guruofgardens wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:55 am Tormato, Lady's Fingers sounds like an excellent tomato for us. If there are extra, could you please add it to my stash of seeds? Thanks.
I mailed your package a minute before reading your message. I can see the mailbox from here. If I dive in and retrieve it...

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:26 pm

This evening, the US Postal Service in conjunction with the US federal services have arrested someone trying to intercept the US postal services....The post must get through.....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Amateurinawe wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:26 pm This evening, the US Postal Service in conjunction with the US federal services have arrested someone trying to intercept the US postal services....The post must get through.....
Speaking of US Postal Services, and before I get the cavity search, do you think mail is getting to the UK with much of the world locking you down?
Your package is ready (tomatoes and peppers, anything else?), but I'm waiting to hear if business is normal.

Gabby1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:56 pm

Hello! I answered in “tomato talk”! Thank you!

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:16 pm

lol [mention]Tormato[/mention] I have no idea. Amazon seems to make it through the covid barrier and i do see the post man from time to time posting through the letter box and then running away pretty quickly. So excited that there may be a package for me, i guess add it to the queue - as long as it is from west to east then covid restrictions are not a problem - just don't send it once around the world as that will really confuse things. :-)

oh a couple of dwarfs would be good - not the Gimli kind thou...
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

guruofgardens
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:22 pm
guruofgardens wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:55 am Tormato, Lady's Fingers sounds like an excellent tomato for us. If there are extra, could you please add it to my stash of seeds? Thanks.
I mailed your package a minute before reading your message. I can see the mailbox from here. If I dive in and retrieve it...
No dumpster diving!! :shock: I'm sure my tomato stash will have wonderful choices for 2021's tomatoes. There's always next year . . . .
Thanks for the wonderful growing opportunities. :)

Return to “MMMM Swap”