Keeping Carolyn J. Male's memory alive...

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Keeping Carolyn J. Male's memory alive...

Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:55 pm

This is a new subforum to keep alive in memory, a lady who had a major influence in getting many people interested in growing heirloom tomatoes and preserving many unknown varieties through her seed offers. She published a book, 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden, which helped fuel the interest in growing heirloom tomatoes. And one of our members is now sponsoring a grow out with the worthwhile intention to get many of the tomatoes listed in her book available to future gardeners. But this forum is not only about that grow out, but an opportunity for members who knew Carolyn, to share stories about her and of the many varieties she helped to share with us. And by doing so, new members and some older ones, who know little about Carolyn, can begin to understand a little bit about this special lady. Whether you loved her or butted heads with her...she was quite a character.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Keeping Carolyn J. Male's memory alive...

Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:09 am

This is wonderful. The grow out farm, the continued seed swaps containing Carolyn's favorite tomatoes and the loving memories so many have of her. I wasn't fortunate enough to have met her or speak with her through the forums, but I can tell just by everyone here that she truly was a terrific person.

It is wonderful for me to have the opportunity to go back over a decade and read her posts on various forums. Getting to read her stories and experiences is truly a wonderful thing. I'm grateful for all those who have saved old articles and forum threads to conserve, not only Carolyn's, but everyone's input.

Truly, this community is a blessing to everyone interested in the cultivation of their garden, their skills and their lives.

Thankyou Carolyn and all those who inspire the future,
-Robert J.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Not a day goes by honestly that I dont think about her.
We had debates and yet were good friends.
She was a professor anyone would be proud to have had.
Not many like her around anymore thats for sure.
A real down to earth straight shooting person that well I cant explain it but what some might call insulting these days.
I am like her in many ways, say something expect a good Yankee rebuttal if I feel you are wrong.
Nothing mealy mouthed about Carolyn and I highly respect that in a person.
The complements she as a PhD gave me meant more to me than anything I have ever heard from just about anyone.
I have also grown many of her tomatoes she had in her book of which I have two of.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:54 am

I really did not know her personally, I did interact with her a few times and learned much more from reading her replies to posts. I still am learning, honestly - the archives at Tomatoville are really a rich resource, in part because her posts are retained there.

In any case, what really made an impact on me was her willingness to help. I came to the forums a rank gardening newbie with a first-time house and backyard, and because of my general nature I was way in over my head. I tend to jump in with both feet first and figure it out as I go along. And Carolyn was a really wonderful guide. I posted several threads with various questions and there were many instances in which she took the time to offer guidance, sometimes to some pretty simple questions, and I'll never forget that. It made me feel special, in a way -- and she didn't have to take the time to do any of it.

So, that's what I remember about her. Her eagerness to share knowledge in a way that never made me feel dumb, and the kindness that flows from that simple connection.

I have thought of her often during this growing season, and am glad that these tributes are happening.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:55 pm

This is so much about the essence of life. Do we put in more than we take out. I have known so many people who put it, and continue to meet people who do the same. There are some fantastic people in the world and always will be. There are some not so but could be. And some lost causes. This is why I love so many of the people on here. You put it out there. You can listen and learn.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Heirloom Tomatoes - A Tribute to Carolyn J. Male”