Tomato Calamities or High Maintenance Plants

Everything About Tomatoes
karstopography
Reactions:

Tomato Calamities or High Maintenance Plants

Fri May 15, 2020 5:40 am

One big, tall Carmello plant loaded with fruit rather spontaneously slipped down the bamboo stakes supporting it (probably because of the tomato weight) horizontally cracking the main stem about 6” off the ground. I was able to lift it back into position and secure it, but of course the crack in the main stem remains. The plant apparently has survived the ordeal as this was a few days ago and nothing is wilted. I think I only knocked off two tomatoes during the procedure. I’ll take the blame for not securing the plant in the first place, but the sudden slippage was a sad surprise.

Stems holding growing tomatoes flopping over, this is another calamity affecting the Carmello plants. I try to use leaf branches where I can and hook a tomato over it for support. I’ve also tied sisal twine as a support, but a couple or more than a couple of clusters have suffered and not grown like they should with weak supporting stems folding over depriving the growing tomatoes with nutrients. I’m staying on top of this now and getting to clusters before it happens, but I didn’t know this was even a thing to watch out for and none of the other plants seem to have the same problem in spite of having significant fruit.

Carmello was to be a reliable red, a productive and trustworthy tomato I could share with family and friends, but you are letting me down my old friend. Insult to injury, these are also by far my most attacked by bugs fruit. None of the others except Roma have gotten any worms eating into the fruit.

Carmello, I think it might be time we re-evaluate our relationship...
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Tomato Calamities or High Maintenance Plants

Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 am

Frustrating when that happens, very frustrating.
I started investing in Texas Tomato Cages after breaking a fully loaded Eva Purple Ball by trying to tie the heavy stems to a bamboo stake. I must have lost 10 lbs of fruit. I don’t know if I can judge that a tomato has weak stems per se, or if some just have ‘heavy’ fruit for their size.
Funny, I grew Carmello I think 2 years ago and noticed more bird beak stabs on her fruit than on the others. Whether they were after bugs or moisture I don’t know but they sure did go after Carmello.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri May 15, 2020 6:39 am

Two things I am learning about staking plants. Maybe it’s three. One, when I cut the bamboo, i will leave just a little bit of the leaf stems on the bamboo pole. This is so i can hook the sisal twine around it, otherwise, the bamboo is so slippery that the twine can slide down with little friction. Two, should cut the bamboo either long enough to begin with or cut it in a way where a hollow section is facing skyward. I did that hollow section by accident and found i could slip in a thinner diameter section to extend the pole upward, like a telescope. Third, put in more than one pole for bigger tomato type plants.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Fri May 15, 2020 7:33 am

I use cages but I have had what you describe happen with Big Beef so now I use the smaller cages for them and I make sure that some of the branches protrude through the cage to help support the plant.

One day the plants looked great and then the next day I had a big pile of plant with cracked stems in the center of the cage. I just left it that way and it produced but now I take the steps above before the fruits get too heavy for the plant to support.

MikeInCypress
Reactions:

Sat May 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Texas Tomato Cages are my solution. I have a Big Beef plant that is almost 7' tall (I added the extensions this year). It has over 24 large tomatoes plus it is still setting fruit. My GGWT is even taller but it sets single fruit not clusters. Also there is a Brandy Boy that was started about 3 weeks later. These are filling the 24" diameter cages.

MikeInCypress

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 2:55 am

I keep a portable drill handy when using my 1x2 stakes. I then feed the string through the hole so it doesn't slip down the stake.
karstopography wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:39 am Two things I am learning about staking plants. Maybe it’s three. One, when I cut the bamboo, i will leave just a little bit of the leaf stems on the bamboo pole. This is so i can hook the sisal twine around it, otherwise, the bamboo is so slippery that the twine can slide down with little friction. Two, should cut the bamboo either long enough to begin with or cut it in a way where a hollow section is facing skyward. I did that hollow section by accident and found i could slip in a thinner diameter section to extend the pole upward, like a telescope. Third, put in more than one pole for bigger tomato type plants.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 am

[mention]zeuspaul[/mention] good idea! I’ve got an over abundance of free bamboo so I’ll likely stick with that. I could try to drill if, but I think If i leave just a little of the leaf stem where it attaches to the bamboo shaft that should anchor my plants, that and just putting in an additional bamboo pole at the get go.

bower
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 4:27 pm

A long time ago I read some scientific work that said that you promote fruit growth by supporting the cluster early.
When the tomato plants are your household pets, it's a no brainer to tie up the clusters asap and give em love. Can't be practical on a farm but for a few plants, it's doable - unless you are busy, or lazy, or.....
Last year I grew all determinates in a "no tie, no prune" year. I was busy. It was great. I did have to tie up branches at some point but it all took only half a day, instead of half a day per week of the season.
Also over the years I came to know that it's the large fruit that really need the support and attention. The same large fruit that get catfacing if it's cold, and that get mold in the stem end if the weather is funky, the same fruit that lose you a chunk of your crop if just one or two are afflicted by this that or insect, bird or animal.... the same fruit that are more than I need for a salad or a sandwich, giving me the quandary of 'you should eat this leftover tomato' when I have a greenhouse full of fresh ones to choose from.
I am totally over the obsession with large fruit and beefsteaks and the mysterious expectation that they taste better and are worth it. Yes I do like the occasional beef. But there is no reason that a medium sized fruit can't be just as tasty. Some cherries have outstanding taste, but cherries are smaller than "just what I need for a meal" and in a farm setting, they are extra work to pick, big time.
So I'm looking for the happy medium size, with the great taste and the lower maintenance, in my ideal tomato....
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 5:32 pm

[mention]Bower[/mention] so ... what is your ideal tomato! We all need to know!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

bower
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm

I'm still working on em LOL. ;) My breeding experiments have trended towards smaller fruit than intended, although bigger than cherries. Don't forget, I had to make em tough enough for the northern climate as well.
I know Fred Hempel was talking last year about a move towards medium sized fruit, but I haven't tried any that he has in the pipe.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows a good one! :)
temperate marine climate

MikeInCypress
Reactions:

Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 pm

Eva Purple Ball is a great all around tomato.

MikeInCypress

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 3:15 am

[mention]karstopography[/mention] Do you grow your own bamboo? I am using 1x2's for staking because that is what I have on hand, not because I believe they make the best stakes. Most of my tomatoes are supported by other means.
karstopography wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:43 am @zeuspaul good idea! I’ve got an over abundance of free bamboo so I’ll likely stick with that. I could try to drill if, but I think If i leave just a little of the leaf stem where it attaches to the bamboo shaft that should anchor my plants, that and just putting in an additional bamboo pole at the get go.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 4:16 am

Bower wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm I'm still working on em LOL. ;) My breeding experiments have trended towards smaller fruit...
I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows a good one! :)
Bower. What sort of size are you thinking of? Any particular colour you prefer? Roughly how long a season do you have, or perhaps what sort of dtm would you be aiming for in your ideal tomato.

I know the standard supermarket tomatoes here are around 150 grams or 5 ounces, is this the size you are looking at?

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 am

[mention]zeuspaul[/mention] yes, I’m not sure which species it is. Maxes out at about 30-35’ tall and ~2” diameter. I know the stands of the bamboo have been there since 1950s, well before I was born. I make trellises and tomato stakes from it. Pretty handy to have around.

bower
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 6:23 am

[mention]Whwoz[/mention] a five oz tomato would be great.
In the dtm, the very latest tomato that we can grow and ripen here in a greenhouse would be Indian Stripe, for example, or others called "midseason". So ideally knock ten or twenty days off that, and we'd have something worth growing. Our season has gotten shorter and colder in recent years, due to the "bowl of icecubes" effect from Greenland melting. :roll:
Sorry kars, for sidetracking your thread ;)
temperate marine climate

Return to “Tomato Talk”