Pruning Currant Tomatoes

Everything About Tomatoes
Setec Astronomy
Reactions: 42

Pruning Currant Tomatoes

Thu May 21, 2020 8:58 pm

I have a small container which wants to fall over with the overhanging weight of an indeterminate plant, so this year, instead of doing something smart like planting a determinate in there, I decided to plant a Sweet Pea Currant, thinking it wouldn't be so heavy.

Now that I've got it growing, it's very sprawly, I was wondering if anyone prunes these currants to single or double stem, or whether you just let them grow into a bush.

fluffy_gumbo
Reactions: 22

Re: Pruning Currant Tomatoes

Fri May 22, 2020 8:15 am

My Solanum spontaneum is in the ground but I gave up pruning it a while back because the suckers are harder to identify than in bigger tomato plants. It's now a bushy 3-feet-tall plant that's somewhat tied up to 2 stakes as the main branched in a Y shape. With that said, I haven't tied it up anymore since last month because all the new branches are pretty light and doesn't fall over.
Learn, adapt, grow! - Zone 9B
Blog: https://thebigeasygarden.wordpress.com/

Setec Astronomy
Reactions: 42

Re: Pruning Currant Tomatoes

Fri May 22, 2020 5:40 pm

That was part of my problem, I'm just learning to properly prune indeterminates, in fact I just yesterday did my first pruning the the "strong Y", so I looked at the currant and it didn't look anything like the ones I just pruned. I'll wait until it gets a little bigger and see if I can figure it out. I need to study my ground cherries too, I had started a separate thread about that.

Return to “Tomato Talk”