What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Everything About Tomatoes
PS1452
Reactions:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 pm

zendog wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm Speaking of seeds from Marsha, here is my first ever Big Cheef. Very nice tasting and growing plant. This year it was the earliest and probably one of the best growing dark tomatoes and I'm growing a whole bunch of them.BigCheef.png
BigCheef_cut.png
Another vote for Big Cheef and another thanks to Marsha for the seeds! For the three years I've been growing it it's been my earliest, very productive, and hangs on well into the heat.

Also from Marsha, this year's impressive new discovery is Grightmire's Pride, a pink heart. Early with great production, nice sized with good flavor. Can't say that it fits the "today" part of this thread since fusarium ended it's life prematurely :x .

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Thank you, so glad you are enjoying Big Cheef. It's such a nice tomato..
- Marsha

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Blue Berries impressed me, today. Great flavor: quite tart/acidic/sour, but a bit sweet, too, with a mild tomatoey aftertaste. You can taste the anthocyanin, though; some people don't like that taste. I wasn't going to grow it next year, but after seeing that it's ripening already, and tasting it, I changed my mind! :)

In retrospect, I was expecting firmer fruits. They're a bit firm, but not much.

My seed source was a gift from someone who didn't like them (she gave me the rest of her Baker Creek seed packet).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:06 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 am If I had to pick a favorite new variety (to me) this season, it would have to be Marian. It's a small variety, only 1 1/4-1 1/2" PL variety, but I can't tell you how many tomatoes I've gotten from those two plants! I try to pick every one with a hint of red, figuring I could take a break for a day or two, but the next day there are another dozen or more! The only drawback is that this heat wave seems to have stopped them from flowering - one of the only ones, so far, but I'm guessing that they will recover quickly, considering their size, like cherries. Flavor is very good, with a lot of juice.
Here's what I picked today - a lot more not visible under the 9 Big Beefs! And I picked a number of them yesterday, too. And I had a lot of them that were getting very ripe, from other days, so I halved them, and have two shelves of them in the dehydrator.
ImageMarian and Big Beef, all from the two plants of each. 7-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Marian, with two a's? That was how my mother spelled her name.

What was your seed source? I would love to grow some in her honor.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 pm

So, I'm growing Yellow Plum, this year (from seeds Tormato gave me years ago). I figured I wanted to compare it to Yellow Pear of years past, since I figured it might be tastier, and I heard that it was. What I heard did not prepare me for the result, however! It was absolutely amazing! Hands down one of the best tomatoes I've ever eaten. Super sweet (one of the sweetest I've ever eaten, too) and balanced (with a rich, fruit-candy-like taste). Very flavorful. Like tomato candy. Nothing whatsoever like Yellow Pear, in taste.

Note that I did like Yellow Pear one year, but Yellow Plum this year is nothing like Yellow Pear was either year I tasted it. The first year, Yellow Pear was very astringent and very good in that regard. The year my neighbor grew it, it was mild, sort of sweet, fairly tasteless, and mealy.

If I were to grow one sweet tomato for taste alone, Yellow Plum would probably be it (but I only tasted one fruit, and it hadn't even been ripe very long). Anyway, hopefully the rest of them are tasty like that! I prefer the taste to Juliet F1, Green Tiger, Maglia Rosa, Ron's Carbon Copy, Medovaya Kaplya, Austin's Black Cherry, Brown Berry, Esterina F1, and who knows what else. I like the taste of Juliet F1, and Green Tiger a lot, by the way.

As a side-note, my Ovita tomato hasn't been as tasty this year as it was in 2016, so far. It tastes far more normal. I'm guessing it must have liked growing in a container or something. It has potential, at least, and I would regrow it on account of that, considering how good it was (and its production potential). It's more prolific this year than in 2016. Maybe the plant from the seeds I saved will taste like its parent (the one I tasted was from a store-bought seed). Anyway, super tasty or not, they'll probably make good dehydrated tomatoes.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:45 pm

JosephineRose wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:06 pm
pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:42 am If I had to pick a favorite new variety (to me) this season, it would have to be Marian.
Marian, with two a's? That was how my mother spelled her name.

What was your seed source? I would love to grow some in her honor.
Sorry about that [mention]JosephineRose[/mention]. I got that someone in a trade, and it was hand-written with two a's, and it should be Marion. I even figured this out, and still wrote it wrong! :oops:

I am going to Bag some blossoms, and save some seeds, later in the season.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:26 am

[mention]pepperhead212[/mention]
Marion should have fruit that are quite a bit bigger (medium-sized), and the plant is supposed to be regular leaf. If you got it from me (I don't remember if I traded you Marion seeds), then I only have the variety Marion; no Marian (but the PL and small fruits is baffling, unless it's mixed up seed; an F1 cross wouldn't be PL). I grew out seeds from each packet I saved and none were PL, though (and I overseeded them all). None seem to be small-fruited, so far, either.

If it were a stray seed that landed with my Marion seeds, it could be Bloody Butcher, Moravsky Div, or Matina, which are all PL, small, and red. I grew all those last year. If the plant is huge (enough to take down a giant tomato cage), it's probably Matina. If the plant is narrow, it's probably Bloody Butcher.

root_grow
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm really loving Gobstopper today. The plants are among the healthiest, the first 5 just ripened, and wow. They are so deliciously intense - sweet, fruity and zingy! I don't cut cherry tomatoes all that often, but the green gel inside is very pretty with the yellow flesh. They will definitely be back next year. :)

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:21 pm

My vote is for SunGold. Healthy plant and it's pumping out great tasting yellow cherry tomatoes. I thought I would have some tomatoes from Box Car Willie but both red ones had blossom end rot). Same for a Brandywine tomato.

Pony Express, Roma, Giant Garden Paste are looking good but they are all still green.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm

KARMA Miracle is the best-tasting tomato on my table so far. I have a big bowlful from 2 plants.They are mostly saladette size -- the perfect 2-bite size as I'm walking through the dining room.

Green Bee F1 is one of the healthiest plants with beautiful uniform tasty fruit. I grew one from a cutting (a container plant that somehow survived until spring) and the other from seed. They are on opposite sides of the garden and look alike.

I've just started getting larger tomatoes and am looking forward to this year's Purple Brandy, Pruden's Purple, Brandywine Sudduth, etc.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Shule wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:26 am @pepperhead212
Marion should have fruit that are quite a bit bigger (medium-sized), and the plant is supposed to be regular leaf. If you got it from me (I don't remember if I traded you Marion seeds), then I only have the variety Marion; no Marian (but the PL and small fruits is baffling, unless it's mixed up seed; an F1 cross wouldn't be PL). I grew out seeds from each packet I saved and none were PL, though (and I overseeded them all). None seem to be small-fruited, so far, either.

If it were a stray seed that landed with my Marion seeds, it could be Bloody Butcher, Moravsky Div, or Matina, which are all PL, small, and red. I grew all those last year. If the plant is huge (enough to take down a giant tomato cage), it's probably Matina. If the plant is narrow, it's probably Bloody Butcher.
Thanks [mention]Shule[/mention] I'm glad somebody who knows these things well saw this - it looks like I screwed this up, and the Matina and Marion got switched. It wasn't you I traded with (unless you had another name elsewhere!), but I looked up the seeds, and I got both of these from the same lady! I didn't even ask for these - they were extras, with the one variety I traded for with her, and I see that there are a lot of matina seeds (actually two packets, one from "larger fruits", which I used), so I'll plant a few now, and see if they are PL; if they are, I screwed up, if not, I'll plant some of the Marion, and if those turn up PL, then the labels are switched. And I'll correct the posts.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Today was a good day in the garden for tomatoes.
In the picture starting at the top:
Row 1 from Left #1 - Cherokee Purple
Row 5 from the Left # 3 - Mountain Rouge Hybrid
Row 6 from the Left #1 -Granddaddy Hybrid
Row 6 from the Left #2 - Big Beef Hybrid
Row 6 from the Left #3 - Mountain Fresh + Hybrid
Today's Haul.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Volvo
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:25 am

First few ripe Blueberries really did it for me and then the next few Ripe ones bottom of bush and right inside of the folliage turned yellow?? , mind you the taste wasnt bad but not quite the punch as the first few which were Black with marone bottom or thereabouts ..
cant understand why the turning to yellow for some unless they bumped back to their parentage ??..

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:57 am

[mention]Volvo[/mention]
There are three possibilities about the multiple colors on Blueberries:
1. It's just not fully ripe, yet. I had yellow ones, today, too, and that was the case with them. They were still edible yellow, though, impressively, but the taste was different.
2. Partial sunscald can cause permanent yellowing of the affected area without the typical papery-ness. However, only part of the fruit would be yellow in this case.
3. Disease. Some diseases cause fruits to discolor, or not color properly, and this can alter the flavor. The disease may not be overtaking the whole plant (maybe just some fruits).

Hoosier
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:48 pm

20200729_203936.jpg
My first Amish Paste's and my helpers. The oldest likes to pick green tomatoes! :lol:
20200726_184641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tracydr
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Carbon copy continues to be my all time favorite. Jd’s Special c-Tex,Marcia’s Mystery Black,Gary O’sena and stump of the world have been great,too. We’ve had so much rain the flavors haven’t been as good as some years. This week we had 18 inches of rain. Much wetter summer than usual. June was really wet and this month started dry but this week has been crazy.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:17 pm

[mention]habitat-gardener[/mention], I’m a big Green Bee fan too. I put in 4 plants this year and still have a container of ripe ones in the fridge. (I’m in N. Florida so my spring tomato season is over.)
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

EdieJ
Reactions:

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm

We finally have one almost ripe. Another day or 2 and we should be able to cut into it. Not a ML, it's a Pink Ponderosa. And the cherry tomatoes in the pic are ripe. A little bland, I think we should have picked them a couple of days ago. These are from the volunteer that grew up in my zinnia bed. Last year, among others, we grew Green Grape and Isis Candy. I think they crossed and a birdie planted this for me. I am saving seeds just out of curiosity to see what we get next year. If they are also bland & mushy I won't go any further.
20200730_154235.jpg
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm

Purple Brandy is the perfect tomato-sandwich tomato! Great balance of tart and sweet, solid, a thick slice covers the layers of eggplant pesto and avocado (sliced red onion goes on top). Why would anyone want to eat anything else?

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:19 pm

[mention]EdieJ[/mention]
Those look pretty much like my Isis Candy:
IMG_20200731_181538.jpg

Return to “Tomato Talk”