What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

Everything About Tomatoes
User avatar
KathyDC
Reactions: 113
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm
Location: Suburban Washington, DC (zone 7A)
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#41

Post: # 25024Unread post KathyDC
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Sue_CT wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:39 pm
I love the hearts. Carolyn started me on those. :)
That's a special legacy! If I remember right, she was partial to hearts wasn't she?
1

User avatar
Growing Coastal
Reactions: 416
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:49 pm
Location: Vancouver Island Canada
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#42

Post: # 25029Unread post Growing Coastal
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Today I was impressed by a fruit on Black Bear that was turning ripe. I have never had a tomato ripen quite this early. It was a cat faced fruit that rotted on one side. Our weather has been stuck in spring mode. Rainy and damp very few days over 20C, so far. If all the damage I get is one rotten tomato I'll be happy.
0

User avatar
wildcat62
Reactions: 93
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#43

Post: # 25049Unread post wildcat62
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 pm

German Johnson was on the menu today. Best so far this year but we are just getting started.

User avatar
Ginger2778
Reactions: 593
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 pm
Location: South Florida zone 10b
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#44

Post: # 25057Unread post Ginger2778
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:21 pm

wildcat62 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 pm
German Johnson was on the menu today. Best so far this year but we are just getting started.
That's a very good one.
1
- Marsha

User avatar
Shule
Reactions: 347
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#45

Post: # 25061Unread post Shule
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Growing Coastal wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 pm
Today I was impressed by a fruit on Black Bear that was turning ripe. I have never had a tomato ripen quite this early. It was a cat faced fruit that rotted on one side. Our weather has been stuck in spring mode. Rainy and damp very few days over 20C, so far. If all the damage I get is one rotten tomato I'll be happy.
I think Black Bear likes it cool. When I grew it, it wouldn't fruit in the heat, with drought, but it fruited prolifically (with impressively large fruit) as soon as it got kind of cold, near the end of the season. They ripened pretty fast, but there wasn't much time left in the season. I didn't have black plastic on its soil. Black Beauty fruited well in similar conditions, although it began to fruit in somewhat warmer weather, I believe.

Anyway, I intend to grow Black Bear again one of these years. I think it has a lot of potential, including in breeding projects. I'd love to hear experiences from people in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan with Black Bear.

Black Bear probably would have been a good choice for me to grow this year, considering the cool late spring we had, in retrospect.
0
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

User avatar
wildcat62
Reactions: 93
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#46

Post: # 25079Unread post wildcat62
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Ginger2778 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:21 pm
wildcat62 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 pm
German Johnson was on the menu today. Best so far this year but we are just getting started.
That's a very good one.
1st time I've grown them in years. They have sped past all the others so far. I did get a Paul Robeson today & can't wait to try it out.
0

User avatar
Shule
Reactions: 347
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#47

Post: # 25093Unread post Shule
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 am

Today, a tomato I have that was supposed to be Napoli (it came from Napoli seeds I saved last year), but that has mostly round fruit, is impressing me the most. It's loaded with fruit, and the plant isn't even huge.
1
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

User avatar
wildcat62
Reactions: 93
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#48

Post: # 25320Unread post wildcat62
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 am

Olive Hill was on the menu last night. I love those big pink fruits.

User avatar
Ginger2778
Reactions: 593
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 pm
Location: South Florida zone 10b
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#49

Post: # 25341Unread post Ginger2778
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:08 pm

wildcat62 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 am
Olive Hill was on the menu last night. I love those big pink fruits.
They are so firm and sweet and delicious. I grow that one every year.
- Marsha

User avatar
GoDawgs
Reactions: 727
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:38 am
Location: Zone 8a, Augusta GA
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#50

Post: # 25351Unread post GoDawgs
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:27 pm

I had my first Stump Of The World yesterday and it lived up to every good thing said about it by folks on this site. Taste was one of the reasons I tried growing it this year but also the name. When I'm asked by friends what tomatoes I'm growing and mention SOTW, I get the strangest looks. LOL! Since then I've read the background on the name and it's history with Quisenberry. Interesting story.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions: 59
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 pm
Location: New Jersey, 6b
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#51

Post: # 25612Unread post Setec Astronomy
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 am

Agi Red. So far, this is the best tasting tomato I've grown this year.
1

User avatar
Volvo
Reactions: 30
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:38 pm
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#52

Post: # 25664Unread post Volvo
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

For me starting off again its been Black Brandy Mostly..
1

rxkeith
Reactions: 81
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:57 pm
Location: keweenaw peninsula
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#53

Post: # 25678Unread post rxkeith
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:41 pm

one particular plant of the mama helen line of my anna russian cherry cross grow out is a multi stem critter, with blossom trusses
all over the place. it is now starting to produce clusters of plum shaped fruit. the f3 plant produced a decent size pink plum tomato,
and a lot of them. this plant is about two weeks younger than the other two mama helen line plants which are smaller, and only at blossom stage. if taste is decent, i will be growing out its progeny next year at f5



keith
1

User avatar
Labradors
Reactions: 127
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#54

Post: # 25721Unread post Labradors
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Just had my first ripe Blush and it's delicious!!!! I think it will beat Maglia Rosa for taste this season :).

Linda
1

Setec Astronomy
Reactions: 59
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 pm
Location: New Jersey, 6b
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#55

Post: # 25722Unread post Setec Astronomy
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Labradors wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Just had my first ripe Blush and it's delicious!!!! I think it will beat Maglia Rosa for taste this season :).
That's a tall order! I have only picked one Blush, which I don't think was ripe enough. I was looking at one a little while ago that was starting to get some pink striping, I'll wait another day or two and try it.
0

User avatar
Labradors
Reactions: 127
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#56

Post: # 25728Unread post Labradors
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Setec, I found in the past that it took a while before Blush tasted good. I think they really like the heat. This season has been unbelievably hot already and I'm delighted that my first Blush was so tasty :).

Linda
0

User avatar
Shule
Reactions: 347
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#57

Post: # 25787Unread post Shule
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am

Kellogg's Breakfast has been impressing me for the past few days.

It turns out that the tomato I thought was Beefmaster F1 was actually Kellogg's Breakfast. It's doing quite well, and has more and much larger fruits than Beefmaster F1, currently. I'm kind of surprised (and I'm very pleased) that it's doing so well. If it tastes anything like Kellogg's Beefsteak, then I plan to grow it again next year.

Kellogg's Breakfast is also doing better than KBX, so far. I was going to compare it with Kellogg's Beefsteak, too (but it was cross-pollinated with a cherry tomato, by the look of it).
0
Location: SW Idaho, USA
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

User avatar
Ginger2778
Reactions: 593
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 pm
Location: South Florida zone 10b
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#58

Post: # 25795Unread post Ginger2778
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:30 am

Labradors wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:52 pm
Setec, I found in the past that it took a while before Blush tasted good. I think they really like the heat. This season has been unbelievably hot already and I'm delighted that my first Blush was so tasty :).

Linda
Theres a silver lining to all the heat!
0
- Marsha

User avatar
Ginger2778
Reactions: 593
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 pm
Location: South Florida zone 10b
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#59

Post: # 25796Unread post Ginger2778
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:34 am

Shule wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am
Kellogg's Breakfast has been impressing me for the past few days.

It turns out that the tomato I thought was Beefmaster F1 was actually Kellogg's Breakfast. It's doing quite well, and has more and much larger fruits than Beefmaster F1, currently. I'm kind of surprised (and I'm very pleased) that it's doing so well. If it tastes anything like Kellogg's Beefsteak, then I plan to grow it again next year.

Kellogg's Breakfast is also doing better than KBX, so far. I was going to compare it with Kellogg's Beefsteak, too (but it was cross-pollinated with a cherry tomato, by the look of it).
It always surprises me to see how differently someone's growing conditiond affect their plants. I'm my garden, Kellogg's Breakfast never did nearly as well as KBX, it got disease straight away, KBX doesn't and is much more of a producer.
- Marsha

User avatar
PlainJane
Reactions: 416
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: N. FL Zone 9A
Contact:

Re: What tomatoes are impressing you, today?

#60

Post: # 25798Unread post PlainJane
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:45 am

@Ginger2778, same here re: Kellogg’s vs. KBX.
0
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Post Reply

Return to “Tomato Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest