Variegated foliage on Brandysweet Plum

Everything About Tomatoes
Labradors
Reactions:

Variegated foliage on Brandysweet Plum

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:33 am

There's some yellow/green variegation on one sucker of my Brandysweet Plum. I had noticed it before, but had to trim it off because it was on the lower leaves, now I am excited that it has returned and I'm wondering if saving seeds from fruit produced on that sucker will give variegation in the future.

Does anyone know?

Linda

Sorry the pic is a bit fuzzy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Re: Variegated foliage on Brandysweet Plum

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:59 am

Ha, interesting.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:23 pm

It very well could. It depends if it is due to a genetic mutation or not.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 pm

I had a variegated branch on Pruden's Purple in 2015, saved seeds, and grew them, again (at least two plants), but they weren't variegated. However, I'm fairly certain another variegated branch wouldn't have grown on my plant if I had taken it off. You never know unless you try it. I would personally want to try it to find out, if I were you. I know there are at least a couple variegated tomatoes out there (Faelan's First Snow, and Variegated). I'd love to see a cross between Faelan's First Snow and Stick, with Faelan's First Snow as the mother plant.

I had a variegated branch on Thessaloniki in 2019, but although I tried to keep it growing by pruning the regular foliage off, it didn't want to grow; eventually, I gave up, and the regular foliage took over. The white-ish parts of the leaves were more sun-sensitive than the fully green leaves, and shriveled up easily.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks for the info Shule. I went to TV and read a few old posts there on the subject of variegated plants and it seems that they do not usually come true from saved seed (and that was from whole plants with variegated leaves). That won't stop me from trying though - as long as I like the taste of Brandysweet Plum.

I've been meaning to try Faelan's First Snow as I love Cherokee Purple and I think the green-and-white variegation is beautiful.

Linda

Return to “Tomato Talk”