What is planned for planting 2020?

Everything About Tomatoes
imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Re: What is planned for planting 2020?

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:55 pm

LOL, I once put it in the ground in August here and got a full plot at the Community Gardens here. People were amazed, both by the taste and by how quick it was. Used some ears as a door prize for the annual supper at the CG.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:52 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:46 pm
Gardadore wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 am I grow Romanesco every year and love it. They can get big really quickly. We prefer them small so have to watch carefully. Similar problem to Lonejack’s. Great flavor!
Gardadore, how do you get them to head up? Mine grew all season but never formed a head.
Nan, I was talking about Costata Romanesco, a kind of zucchini type squash), which Lonejack listed and thought that was what you were referring to. I think you are now asking about the Romanesco Broccoli which I have never grown but have heard can be difficult to get to form heads. I think like other broccolis it needs cool weather. Sorry for the confusion. I forgot there is also a Pantano Romanesco tomato which was in a grow list above! Lots of different Romanesco! I should have been more specific! 😋

kath
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:59 am

imp wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:15 pm
kath wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am Imp, just saw that you asked what else, besides tomatoes, we're growing. Aside from perennials, like asparagus, apples, blueberries, strawberries:

No, just asked what all everyone is planning on, tomatoes and perennials are fine too. Being nosy, LOL and I am always wonderfully amazed at the variety and methods we all use. I'm at the point of itching to get into the dirt right now and yet have to wait a week or more yet.

Never have grown Ambrosia corn, but grow Mirai corn , it is quick-ish at 74 days and so very good. Also it produces tillers and I often get 2 o 3 ears per plant. 2 On the main stalk and the tillers often produce an ear or 2.
I thinks it's interesting to hear what others are growing, too! Sometimes gives me ideas...
I've tried 2 kinds of Mirai and liked the taste of both. I think we liked the texture of Ambrosia better and I think the one got rust.

I've got over 2 months before I can do anything outside, but it's coming close to the time when I can sow onions indoors. ;)

kath
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am

SusieQ wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
kath wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am
I've been growing it and trialing it against other varieties since 2005 and it's won or tied for the favorite every year! Last year I finally stopped growing any other corn, which simplifies things since I don't have to worry about cross pollination between varieties ruining the flavor. We love its flavor and dependability, it's plenty sweet for us, and it resists smut, rust and Stewart's Wilt better than anything else I've tried. It matures right about 75 days in my 6b zone here in southeastern PA. Since it sprouts pretty well in cool soil, I begin sowing when the weather breaks, usually April 7-14, and sow a little bit in succession every 10 days or so until mid-July. That way we have sweet corn all summer and into the fall.
Great info, kath - thanks! I always worry about losing a season on an experiment. I can sleep a bit easier tonight. :D

My weather doesn't start to 'break' till about mid-May, and even then things can get a bit dicey. I was going to try starting some indoors and then transplanting, just to try to get a bit ahead. Those YouTube videos put wild ideas in my head... LOL
Lol, I know what you mean about the wild ideas! I had pretty good luck transplanting corn using peat pot strips, and warming up the ground with plastic, and using clear vented row cover, etc. but lately I've been trying to simplify things in the garden, so I just wait until it's warm enough to plunk the seeds in the dirt. There are other veggies to eat until the first corn is ready, after all!

SusieQ
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 pm

kath wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:07 am
SusieQ wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:49 pm
kath wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:26 am
Lol, I know what you mean about the wild ideas! I had pretty good luck transplanting corn using peat pot strips, and warming up the ground with plastic, and using clear vented row cover, etc. but lately I've been trying to simplify things in the garden, so I just wait until it's warm enough to plunk the seeds in the dirt. There are other veggies to eat until the first corn is ready, after all!

So transplanting corn works, eh? Did you ever try to see how the corn did without 'warming' the soil up? In other words, just transplanting like you would any other crop when it was time.

kath
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Transplanting works pretty well but the roots seem pretty sensitive to being disturbed. There were more survivors with peat pots than with 72 cell plugs and when they were only about 1 week old. I never tried this method to transplant them early because we can get frost here until mid-May, but as a way to get evenly spaced seedlings and to save seed, so the soil was always reasonably warm at the time. Attempts to warm the soil was always used in conjunction with direct seeding earlier than normal- April 1st or so. Hope I answered your question.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:41 pm

My list is a work in progress, but I did PLANT some micro dwarf seeds and onion seeds over the weekend! Garden 2020 has begun!

SusieQ
Reactions:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm

kath wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm Transplanting works pretty well but the roots seem pretty sensitive to being disturbed. There were more survivors with peat pots than with 72 cell plugs and when they were only about 1 week old. I never tried this method to transplant them early because we can get frost here until mid-May, but as a way to get evenly spaced seedlings and to save seed, so the soil was always reasonably warm at the time. Attempts to warm the soil was always used in conjunction with direct seeding earlier than normal- April 1st or so. Hope I answered your question.
Yes, thanks, kath. I'll try a block, and see what happens.

I'd love to just get out there with my seeder at planting time and cover several 100 ft rows of corn, but those evil crows :evil: seem to always know when it's planting time and steal the seed as soon as I'm back in the house. I thought transplanting might help with that, too.

kath
Reactions:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:37 pm

SusieQ wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm
kath wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm Transplanting works pretty well but the roots seem pretty sensitive to being disturbed. There were more survivors with peat pots than with 72 cell plugs and when they were only about 1 week old. I never tried this method to transplant them early because we can get frost here until mid-May, but as a way to get evenly spaced seedlings and to save seed, so the soil was always reasonably warm at the time. Attempts to warm the soil was always used in conjunction with direct seeding earlier than normal- April 1st or so. Hope I answered your question.
Yes, thanks, kath. I'll try a block, and see what happens.

I'd love to just get out there with my seeder at planting time and cover several 100 ft rows of corn, but those evil crows :evil: seem to always know when it's planting time and steal the seed as soon as I'm back in the house. I thought transplanting might help with that, too.
Corn and pea seeds need to be protected here until the shoots are a few inches tall or the crows will steal them. Floating row cover, bird netting supported with wire hoops, or tunnels made from old wire whose holes are too small for the birds to pass through are effective but just another time-consuming, work-intensive step required to reap the rewards.

OneoftheEarls
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 am

I'm not locked in but:
Pinks
*African Queen
Amish Salad-pink plum
Babywine-pink salad
*Blue Ridge Mountains
*Cooper's Special
*Daniels
Dr. Lyle
Dufresne
Early Detroit
German Lunchbox
Gus' Heart
Hank
*Jeff Davis
Korney's Cross
Millionaire
Nichol's
Notchli
Pink Ponderosa
Preacher
Prescott
Purple Dog Creek
Rose
Rose Amish Grape
*Shirley S
Sochulak
*Tater Kin
Wheatley's
Wick's Paste
Yukon Quest
Zena's Gift

Reds
Abe Lincoln
Amish Canning
Ballard
Belle Arlesienne
Bob's Boomtown Titty
Brimmer
Cartijo
Cheste
Church
Curtis Cheek
DR 2012
Druzba
Earl's Best Canner
Earl's First Early
Earl's Red Beefsteak
Farmer Reds
Friendly Walter
Good Old Fashioned Red
Gordost Sibiri
Grandma Freida's
Hanky Red
Ispolin
John Vesta
Lisa King
Mayo's Delight
Mike's Mystery
Moosolini
Mrs. Maxwell
Old Fashioned Red
Pritchard's Scarlet Topper
Russian Annie
Vater Rhein
Wild Bill's Old Timey
Zarga
Zomok

Yellow
Amish Gold
Anna Hermann
Barne's Yellow Mountain
Candy's Old Yellow
Casey's Yellow
Cherokee Lemon
Dr. Wyche's Yellow
Finnish Yellow
Golden Bison
Hagan's Little
Iva's Sweet Yellow
Linda Lea
Yoder's German

Odds
Alter Kommunist
Apricot
Bull's Horn
Cuban Pepperlike
Dominick's Paste
Donkey Ears
Hubert's Beste
Idaho Hillbilly
Skorpion
Strelka's Arrow
Zena's Gift
(11)

Odds II
*Amazing Grace (bi-color)

Containers
Babylon's Glow
Gandolf
Gold Gypsy
Golden Champion
King Aramis
Payette
Russian Swirl
Sleeping Lady

Lotte
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am

I'm not quite finished with my list, as there is still seeds in the mail.But soon I can tell my plans.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:33 am

Things are always subject to change right up to seeding here other than some constants, such as the Mirai corn and a couple squashes that I just love to eat in particular. It seems I end up finding a spot for a couple or more tomatoes than I had space for, but that is part of the fun for me.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:23 am

Final list. Sowing seeds indoor now.
Pepper - Mid-Feb
Tomato - March 1st
Vegetables - March - Mid-March
Last frost date - Mid-April
IMG_20200216_015405.jpg
IMG_20200216_020217.jpg
(bigger view: download/file.php?id=1668)

Also celery & rooted parsley. I tried planting grape last year and it died because the soil was too wet, might try again this year. Also want to grow one orange watermelon.

No more kale and brasicca leaves stuff this time, well aside from arugula. Lettuce taste better with less oxalate and goitrogen, and I can eat it raw which I prefer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bronx
Reactions:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:13 am

I have a small vegetable garden, mostly Earthboxes and 10 gallon containers. Here's my tomato list for 2020.

Chocolate Champion
Indigo Apple
KBX
Rose De Berne
Stump of the World
Stupice

And some F2 seeds I'm trying to see if they will be close to their parents
Campari
Husky Red
Sugary Hybrid (I love these and grow them every year. Am running out of original bought seeds so trying F2 this year)

guruofgardens
Reactions:

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 am

Nice lists! I see Purple Dog Creek that OneoftheEarls will be growing that I haven't grown for about a decade. All the best for an abundant harvest.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm

I'm still deciding and will probably add a dozen more, but these are the tomatoes that I'm certain of. The first six are garden-to-garden strains that I received in Moscow in 1991 & 1993 and have been maintaining over the years. I'll also be growing out Russian squash and cucumbers preserved from the same time period:

Premus
Burye (Premus)
Bychye Serdtse Rozovoe (Premus)
Moscow Market (Premus)
Chernyi Prins (Premus)
Sen Pier (Premus)
Amish Yellowish Orange Oxheart
Golden Light
Orange Crimea
Ilse's Orange Latvian
Argentinskoe Chudo
Astrakanskaya Khurma
Letniy Abrikos
PI129129
Early High Crimson
Tayana
Super Tomat Saraeva
Vesennie Zamorozki (Saraev)
Obilnie Saraeva
Saraevskiy No 1
House
Lofthouse BHXW
Ocharovanie Komnatniy
Totem
Stakeless
Micro Tom
Jagodka
Debbie

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:14 pm

Hello all, just curious - how is the quality and germination rate of MIGardener's seeds? I see a lot of people like his stuff. Thx!
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Germination has always been good to me. Although I have my favorite plants and don't grow everything, so I can't vouch for everything. I've been buying seeds since their store inception. I'd say they're pretty good quality.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:59 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:18 pm Tomato decisions are still up in the air. As of now, here's what the possibles look like, with new-to-me having (N) behind the name:

Bella Rosa
Brad's Atomic Grape
Camp Joy Cherry (N)
Creole Original
Dreikäsehoch/Whipper Snapper
Early Annie (N)
Early Girl Bush
German Johnson, Benton Strain
GGWT

Golden Girl
KBX
Mom's Paste (N)
Porter (N)
Rebel Yell (N) How can someone in Georgia NOT try it. :lol: Yeeee haaaaaaawww!
Red Robin
Red Siberian
Rio Grande
Rosella Cherry
Santiago (N)
Stump of the World
Super Sioux (N)
Ten Fingers Of Naples (N)

Other stuff: Bush beans, maybe a pole bean, more broccoli, more cabbage, carrots, collards, sweet corn and popcorn, cukes, eggplant, kale, okra, more scallions, sweet peaqs, field peas, peppers, potatoes, Roselle, straightneck squash, spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, more turnips, watermelon. Fall-planted onions and garlic will be pulled and Jerusalem artichokes will be planted for the duration.

This year's toy will be the zuchetta rampicante, also known as tromboncino. And one or two toys that are undecided yet.
OK, I've had to update the tomato list thanks to the wonderful folks here who share so generously. New additions are in bold italics. To make room for some recent tomato additions I've decided to drop the tomatillos. And so it goes, the garden stretcher at work. :lol:

clara
Reactions:

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 pm

I've decided to mainly grow "old" varieties, those which have done fine in the past (and I want to get fresh seeds). It will be a challenge to germinate them all...

Bangladesh Oxheart 2008
Benissoinante 2012
Beuteltomate aus Persien 2011
Birdie Jaune 2018
Birdie Rouge 2015
Black Hole Sun 2015
Black Primal 2018
Blush 2017
Brandywine Pink 2008
Chemin Hâtive 2013
Cherry Falls 2016
Coastal Pride Orange 2016
Coeur Francais (no tomatoes last year, but sooo pretty to look at - if the label is right)
Cyril's Choice 2012
Dancing with Smurfs 2017
Durmitor 2013
Early Orange Stripes 2016
Galina's 2013
Grimpante x Brandywine 2009
Henry's Sunshine 2019 (not old, but good!)
Ildi 2013
LaLeLi 2019 (by far my best last year!)
Lehrertomate 2012
Limbo 2017
Maglia Rosa 2018
Mandarinka 2019
Marianna's Peace 2012
Marz Pucent 2017
Mini Rose 2009
Mirabella 2019 (my best cherry last year)
Mischka 2012
Mr. Bruno 2011
Nature's Riddle 2012
Palmyra ?
Peardrops 2018
Pendulina Yellow ?
Pendulina Orange 2013
Pendulina Red 2015
Perla Ogrodu 2018
Pervaya Lyubov ?
Pink Queen 2016
Queen Marbena 2017
Sgt. Pepper's 2018/2017 (I have also seeds from last year, but due to the heat (?), I got only pink tomatoes, therefore better use the older ones)
Shadow Boxing Type 4 2015
Sirja's Love 2018
Sister Miriam 2013
Son of Sultan 2016
Sophie's Choice 2011
Taiko 2013
Utyonok 2012
Whippersnapper 2017
Zluta Kytice 2017

Perhaps a few from 2007 will follow. I'm already curious which of these varieties will make it. I'll pre-soak them for 24 hours in a mixture of water and fish emulsion and place them on the warm window sill (heater is below). I'll start with the oldest seeds, they might need more time to germinate than the younger ones. The rather "young" varieties will be sown directly without any pre-treatment.

My list with the new-to-me varieties is not made yet - I hope to limit myself to about 80 varieties (all together); my back and my knees are too bad for the usual number, sigh...
per aspera ad astra

Return to “Tomato Talk”