Russian Purple Update

Everything About Tomatoes
Volvo
Reactions:

Russian Purple Update

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:51 am

Well three days ago i decided this Variety had enough time on the vine and didnt think they were going to colour any more that what they had , Green Shoulder and a Brownish body , i know i should upload some photos and might just do so if the interest is there ??.
Anyhow the fruit from the first three plants were a tad softer than i think they should have been and the taste left something to be desired and thought " Buggar wont grow these again " then yesterday afternoon i picked fruit from the other two plants which were more roundish in shape than your Supposedly Russian Purple or what ive seen online or from Photos uploaded here.
More greenish body thinking maybe a tad underipe ??, BUT!!! definetly left seed from some of these as the taste was something Else :).
The Taste lingered sometime after being consumed as a Tomato should do.
Did ferment ample seed if any memebers onboard wish some :)..
So interesting to see how the next lot come up ??.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Russian Purple Update

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Dark tomatoes often have green shoulders. Rather than waiting for the shoulders to change color you should harvest them when they first give to your touch. When I first grew dark tomatoes, I too waited too long and they were too soft and tasted fermented. Start checking them when they first start to show color and when they start to give to your touch they are ready. Nobody likes an over-ripe tomato.
~ Patti ~

Volvo
Reactions:

Re: Russian Purple Update

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am

MissS wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:08 pm Dark tomatoes often have green shoulders. Rather than waiting for the shoulders to change color you should harvest them when they first give to your touch. When I first grew dark tomatoes, I too waited too long and they were too soft and tasted fermented. Start checking them when they first start to show color and when they start to give to your touch they are ready. Nobody likes an over-ripe tomato.
And i think you are quite right too , we learn as we travel and know for next time . Replanted some of the saved seed and although they are just small seedlings just leting their heads if our Summer allows i will try another lot otherwise shall wait till next year :)..
And a Pic for my previouse post
Russian Purple.jpg
The top and bottom left much rounder fruit picked when greener and firmer were absolutely tasty and all fruit akin to the right one were soft and bland in taste ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tomato Talk”