Moving indoor

Everything About Tomatoes
Barmaley
Reactions:

Moving indoor

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:26 pm

The season is about to be over here in PA and I am thinking about moving one or two plants indoor. My understanding is the indeterminate tomatoes can grow forever. Can I cut a top of a plant, root it and transfer for indoor continuation? Will I need a lot of grow lights for them to flourish?

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Re: Moving indoor

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:55 pm

@Barmaley, I have tried to grow tomatoes indoors with very little luck. I really believe you can do it if have enough light and air circulation, but I think the setup cost and electricity would take the fun out of it.

There are people, though, who don't bat an eye at buying a $30,000 bass boat to catch a few dollars worth of fish.
The best things in life---are not things.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:52 pm

I think most folks who are successful growing tomatoes in the winter use either dwarfs or micro dwarfs which could be a better use of your space. Cherry tomatoes work better inside then big slicers. Not sure how many grow lights you will need it depends on the size of your plant... My 5 little tiny micros were under a 24 inch double bar of LED lights which didn't take much extra power but if you have a huge rack of lights it could take a considerable amount of power. Also don't expect the same flavor that plant gave you outside. They will be better then store bought but not as good as an outdoor raised tomato.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Cuttings bring bugs and disease inside. You would be better off starting from the plant's seed. There are people on here who have posted pictures of impressive indoor grows, so it is possible, but the equipment tends to be pricey to purchase and the lights cost money to run. Everyone seems to pay a different price for electricity, so the consumption impact would vary.

Barmaley
Reactions:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:39 pm

Thank you guys for your insight! As I see the obstacle which everybody mentioned bothers me the least. Been an electrical engineer with focus on energy efficiency makes easier for me to figure out grow light. The most positive thing is that it will cost me nothing about running the lights because my house is 100% electric, so using lights to generate heat or baseboards make no difference in the electric cost. However, there are many other factors which are a concern. First I don't want bugs of diseases inside, I have very low knowledge about air circulation, mold and humidity etc.

The reason to grow tomatoes for me was not a chance to get free fruit from a seed (I calculated that my tomatoes costed me way over $10 per Lb.) but a chance to get a fresh tasty fruit directly from a vine knowing that no chemicals were used. On other terms: health and taste. (it is probable better to say taste and health).

One thing I am almost sure that I am not going to loose more than half of my tomatoes to squirrels while growing indoor. I am thinking about taking inside a plant of sungolds, black cherry, and red torch. They are big but not that big to be scary (I have a big house with a lit of space). In any way if it will not be the same taste (provided that I can furnish a ton of light) I probably will not go into the venture.

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:54 pm

If you decide to grow indoors, please keep us posted as to results, problems, solutions, etc. I'd love to see how it goes.
The best things in life---are not things.

goodloe
Reactions:

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:16 am

I have two Rooster Spur pepper plants in a container that I plan on overwintering inside this year. I'm also planning to try a couple of micro dwarf tomato plants inside this winter. I'm considering a couple of varieties from Bunny Hop Seeds, Chibikko, and Birdie Rouge.

https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... die-rouge/

https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... /chibikko/
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:33 am

I don't have either of those but will be growing a couple of other varieties of Micro Dwarf. Looking at the production I have on my plants outside I think at one will be Pygmy and the second one will be a close my eyes and grab a seed packet...
Plus I have a some MTDP seedlings I started a month ago that I will be growing out. Actually it is about time to start another tray of those F2 seeds...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

ddsack
Reactions:

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:45 am

I would stick to early, lower growing varieties like Stupice, Early Annie, Aurora for the salad size tomatoes, and heavily branching basket sized cherries like Anmore Treasure to get the most fruit from your space. I don't try to grow out tomatoes indoors anymore, they all seem to come down with mildew about the time they start to set some tomatoes, even with a fan on part time. But I only use natural south window light, and I suspect the cold air from the glass at night has something to do with it.

In a dedicated room, with very bright lights and air circulation you ought to have much better luck. You may want to start some from seed now as well, bringing in from outdoors is a huge change for the plants used to full sun and breezes, and insect pests that don't appear to be a problem outside can proliferate quickly when they come indoors. What I've experienced is that the existing tomatoes will ripen, but new fruit stay smaller and indoor growth is stringy. But go ahead and bring in the plants you want, there is nothing like personal experience to know what works for you. And fun to try to work around the challenges. ;)

farmersteve
Reactions:

Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:37 am

Barmaley wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:26 pm The season is about to be over here in PA and I am thinking about moving one or two plants indoor. My understanding is the indeterminate tomatoes can grow forever. Can I cut a top of a plant, root it and transfer for indoor continuation? Will I need a lot of grow lights for them to flourish?
I would adopt some of the cannabis growing techniques such as light tents, fans, heaters and such to regulate every aspect if you have the time and energy to do it. I wouldn't grow indeterminate vines they will get too big. I have successfully grown micro dwarfs indoors under shop lights and a plant heating pad for a couple of years in the winters. I could see growing some of the tomatoes from the dwarf tomato project indoors pretty easily.

Return to “Tomato Talk”