New tomato varieties that impressed me. Part 3. 2020

Everything About Tomatoes
TomHillbilly
Reactions:

New tomato varieties that impressed me. Part 3. 2020

Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:10 pm

I put off trying Snow White Cherry for a long time. The seeds are common, and cheap. Some articles I read about Snow White years ago claimed it was bad to crack. Besides it is a heirloom, no way it can compete with some of my hybrid cherries--right? Some of their F-1 seeds are 25 cents a piece?  The only complaint I can list is-- SW will not produce quite as much fruit as Sweet 100, Sweet Million, or Barry's Crazy. But neither will 60% of the cherry tomatoes out there. SW is not a white tomato. It is a glossy yellowish cherry tomato. That is my complete list of complaints. Snow White will crack less than the average Cherry tomato. SW will crack less than Sungold. It is about average on table life. SW vines are just as vigorous as any of my hybrids. And it is just as disease resistant. I always keep a bowl of mixed cherries at the center of my table. When I have guests over they will munch on that bowl, while waiting to be served. SW was emptied out of that bowl faster than Sweets Million, Black Cherry, and Sunsugar. I had more questions asked about SW, than any of the other cherries in the bowl. These were the 4 Cherry varieties I grew in my 2nd wave of planting. Snow White might not beat your favorite cherry tomato, but you will be impressed with it. PS-- I know nothing about SUPER Snow White Cherry.
20200725_192740.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: New tomato varieties that impressed me. Part 3. 2020

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Fabulous!

Were the SW sweet? You compare them to many of the sweeter cherries, but were they Um also sweet?
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Yes SW is sweet. Personally I think a Super Sweet 100 and Sun-sugar will slightly out score SW on sweet. I think SW will out score Sweet Million on sweet.
I'm probably the only person on this planet that don't consider Black Cherry, as a sweet cherry tomato. Most likely SW has bumped Barry's Crazy Cherry from my starting line up. Barry's Crazy produces more fruit. But isn't very resistant to disease. Barry's fruit also fall off the vine too easy. And is not full flavored. SW could win a contest on appearances over any mentioned. It really shines in a mixed bowl. ISIS Candy could also win a appearances contest. But I care very little for its taste. Its my understanding that this tomato part of the site is in honor of Carolyn J. Male. It appears that she knew the breeder of ISIS and Snow White. {it was the same person.} She had phone conversations with him. You can explore back though the old Tomatoville site on Snow White.

Labradors
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:57 am

TomHillbilly, it would be helpful if you would put the variety name in the heading so that it will be easy to find your comments again in the future.

I grew Super Snow White this year and it was good. It didn't crack and seemed prolific. It is bigger than Snow White. Taste was sweet and mild. I understand that they taste the same.....

Linda

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:53 pm

TomHillbilly wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:59 pm … Its my understanding that this tomato part of the site is in honor of Carolyn J. Male. …
Nope. The Carolyn tribute forum is a sub-forum to this forum. It's not this forum. Here's a link to the Carolyn tribute forum: viewforum.php?f=118

The Tomato Talk forum has always been here and is not intrinsically connected to Carolyn, although it's pretty much sure that the whole of TomatoJunction would not exist without her influence (seeing as she had a great deal to do with the existence of Tomatoville, and as I understand, TomatoJunction initially came about as a result of Tomatoville's premature announcement of closure, at the end of last year, so that its members would have somewhere to go). But, TV didn't close, and we still exist. So much the better.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 pm

I'm so glad you corrected me Shule-- Now you should correct the site's headline. " A tribute to Carolyn J. Male."

"Tomato Talk
Everything About Tomatoes
Subforums: Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear, Hybrid Tomatoes, Heirloom Tomatoes - A Tribute to Carolyn J. Male"

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:01 pm

Only 'Everything About Tomatoes' is part of the Tomato Talk forum description.

The subforums aren't part of the forum description, but I agree that it looks confusing. I've been lobbying for a change in the tribute forum's name (since about October 19th, when I saw your post) for this reason, but we're still discussing it.

What I want to do is change the forum title,

'Heirloom Tomatoes - A Tribute to Carolyn J. Male'

to

'Carolyn Tribute'

and give the Carolyn Tribute forum a nice description to tell us what it's for (instead of leaving that entirely to the forum title; the title's really long now, and I think that's why it looks like part of the parent forum's—Tomato Talk's—description).

For those who don't know, a subforum is a forum inside of another forum.

Tomato Talk has these subforums, currently:

* Open Pollinated/Tomatoes of Yesteryear
* Hybrid Tomatoes
* Heirloom Tomatoes - A Tribute to Carolyn J. Male

I think we need to alter the names of the other two some, also.

It should be noted that things on-topic in the subforums aren't exactly off-topic in the parent forum (they're all about tomatoes, after all), but the parent forum isn't limited to the topics of the subforums.

I think making the subforum link colors something other than black might help to distinguish them from the description, too. They are links.

EDIT (28 Oct):

[mention]TomHillbilly[/mention]

It looks like there's not enough interest to get any subforum names shortened or descriptions added, currently. So, my hands are tied there. Sorry! If you or others want it, and/or other features (or changes), more voices might help, though. So, feel free to express any preferences in the suggestions forum: viewforum.php?f=95
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Talk”