Septoria Resistant Varieties?

Everything About Tomatoes
Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Septoria Resistant Varieties?

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:29 am

Anyone ever grown any, and how was the taste? I can only find a few online, Brandywise, Iron Lady, Jasper, Stellar. Thinking of trying one or two next summer.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Re: Septoria Resistant Varieties?

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 am

I am growing Brandywise (Cornell) now. Also Summer Sweetheart (Cornell) and Seiger (Sativa Rheinau ) . They all mention a resistance to septoria but I have never had that—growing them as I searched for tomatoes that mentioned early blight. Also bought Coyote but didn’t plant as I don’t want any cherries
though a few may have snuck in as I didn’t know they were cherries. (These seeds were from Fruition Seeds.).
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Labradors
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am

I grew Sara's Galapagos once. It's a little red cherry which is said to be resistant to Septoria. Septoria hit all my plants that year, but SG bounced right back with new, clean leaves :). Taste was good, but they were rather a pain to pick.

Piennolo is another that is said to be resistant, but mine came down with something early in the year (probably because I put it out too early in the cold) and didn't do very well, so I really cannot say.......

Linda

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:42 am

Labradors wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 am I grew Sara's Galapagos once. It's a little red cherry which is said to be resistant to Septoria. Septoria hit all my plants that year, but SG bounced right back with new, clean leaves :). Taste was good, but they were rather a pain to pick.

Piennolo is another that is said to be resistant, but mine came down with something early in the year (probably because I put it out too early in the cold) and didn't do very well, so I really cannot say.......

Linda
Thanks for those suggestions, SG looks a little too small to be worth it, but those Piennolos are interesting.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:47 am

[mention]MsCowpea[/mention]
Very interested in your results with Brandywise and the other two. Would love to have something resistant that also tastes great (but wouldn’t we all!).

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:31 am

Had anyone tried Iron Lady? Looks to be very resistant, but wonder about the taste.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Fusion_power
Reactions:

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:04 pm

Mountaineer Delight released a couple of years ago from WV is selected for some septoria tolerance.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:29 pm

Mountaneer Pride is a resistant variety I tried this season, that produced well, and was one of the last I pulled. Good flavor, and meaty - not as flavorful as juicier types, but still good, and heat resistant, as well, as it kept producing through the heat.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Tomato Talk”