Newbie needs help

Everything About Tomatoes
CW!
Reactions:

Newbie needs help

Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:52 am

Help! This is my first crop of tomatoes and I'm lost. I've spend days researching tomato problems and diseases, and I guess I'm just not experienced enough to figure out. These are hydroponic tomatoes I have attached a picture, if anyone can provide any guidance - thanks!
leaf1.png
leaf1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Newbie needs help

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:20 pm

I know next to nothing about plant problems. But, the picture looks to me like the underside of leaves are purple. That may mean a phosphorus deficiency.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:52 pm

It's hard to tell if that purple is due to the light or a condition of the plant. Tormato is right that phosphorus deficiencies due cause purple leaves. I think if you posted in the Hydroponics forum which you can find in the third section of the home page, that you would get some better help for growing in your situation. Another place to post would be in the Diseases, Pests, and Cures forum which is in the second section of the home page. More pics and information would help too. Are those leaves cured? What temperature are you growing at? What fertilizers are you using?
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm

It might be edema caused by a combination of mites and conditions, but it's hard to tell. Do the yellow spots ever raise out like bumps?

Lowering the temperature and/or humidity, and/or increasing ventillation might help.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Or, it might be downy mildew. It's hard to say.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Don't be worried if you're mystified. If you look up your symptoms on the internet you'll narrow the problem down to about 20 different things.

CW!
Reactions:

Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:09 am

I'd like to thank everyone that replied!

I already lowered the temperature and increased ventilation, thanks Shule. I'm also going to do a water replacement.

The "purple" leaves are probably due to the LED lights (they have that purple glow from blue & red LEDs).

I was thinking downy mildew, but it doesn't match some of the symptoms - "The center of the spots eventually turns brown, bordered by yellow margins" - not happening.

I do have 3 varieties of tomatoes in close proximity - St. Pierre, Brandywine, and Tappys. I'm researching disease resistance, because the Tappys show almost no symptoms, while the St. Pierre are the worst.

I'll probably treat for downy mildew as a precaution.

Thanks all!

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am

Do the brown spots have circles like rings of a tree? You may have to look closely. If so, and it's got a yellow margin it may be early blight. But, from the photo I don't see any brown spots, just yellow ones.
If there are no circles in the brown spots, then it could be mites causing the yellow spots. You may need to inspect the underside of the leaves with a magnifying glass to see them.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 am

If all else fails, take a sample to your extension agent. They'll need the plant material (not a photo) to look at under the microscope; at least they do here in Georgia.

CW!
Reactions:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 am

Great help, thanks. In fact the spots do not have rings, which actually would have made identification easier! I'll also check for mites.

GoDawgs: I googled "extension agent", had never heard the term before. New Mexico (my home) does have this in the university system, unfortunately the closest one is 100 miles away. I might still contact them, though.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:21 pm

CW! wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 am Great help, thanks. In fact the spots do not have rings, which actually would have made identification easier! I'll also check for mites.

GoDawgs: I googled "extension agent", had never heard the term before. New Mexico (my home) does have this in the university system, unfortunately the closest one is 100 miles away. I might still contact them, though.
Did you search for your county's extension office? You may have one in your county, worth a look.

CW!
Reactions:

Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:03 pm

The extension office advice is some of the best advice I've ever received. This morning, I didn't even know what an extension agent/office was. I googled NM university (I live in New Mexico), took a little while finding it because it's not really part of the education part of the university, but it was there: a county extension office, and one of their specialties is agriculture and farming! They support the whole county I'm in (which is generally rural).

Here's what floors me totally: I contacted them about my tomato crop problems, and they said they would love to help me - AND THEY DO HOUSECALLS. They prefer seeing the farming in progress, not just the plants.

Only downside is the person who does agriculture at their office is out on maternity leave. The person that emailed me said she "was going to get right on it" so see what they could do.

Anyway, thanks for the totally unexpected advice.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:57 am

CW! wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:03 pm The extension office advice is some of the best advice I've ever received. This morning, I didn't even know what an extension agent/office was. I googled NM university (I live in New Mexico), took a little while finding it because it's not really part of the education part of the university, but it was there: a county extension office, and one of their specialties is agriculture and farming! They support the whole county I'm in (which is generally rural).

Here's what floors me totally: I contacted them about my tomato crop problems, and they said they would love to help me - AND THEY DO HOUSECALLS. They prefer seeing the farming in progress, not just the plants.

Only downside is the person who does agriculture at their office is out on maternity leave. The person that emailed me said she "was going to get right on it" so see what they could do.

Anyway, thanks for the totally unexpected advice.
Good news! Let us know how it goes.

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Gosh NM must have the best Extension Service in the country. I have NEVER heard of them making house calls before.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Tomato Talk”