HELP: Any MUST GROW tomatoes suggestions

Everything About Tomatoes
MissS
Reactions:

Re: HELP: Any MUST GROW tomatoes suggestions

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Tomato Growers Supply lists Galina as a cherry.
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am

Imp, I agree. I think climate and gardening style is everything. And watering. I used a daylight calculator on Johnnys seeds and found we only get 10 hours of sun now. And plants are shaded part of the time as the sun is so low in the sky.
Sometimes we get low 50s when the tomatoes are on the plant. Can’t be good. I bet other places are getting 13 hours of daylight In the summer when they are growing. So one person can tout the accolades of a tomato and another doesn’t get it. Your dry heat and less water must make your tomatoes delicious.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Labradors
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 am

Tania's Tomato Base lists both Galina's and Galina's Yellow as cherry. I plan to grow it this year and thought it was round!

Linda

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am Imp, I agree. I think climate and gardening style is everything. And watering. I used a daylight calculator on Johnnys seeds and found we only get 10 hours of sun now. And plants are shaded part of the time as the sun is so low in the sky.
Sometimes we get low 50s when the tomatoes are on the plant. Can’t be good. I bet other places are getting 13 hours of daylight In the summer when they are growing. So one person can tout the accolades of a tomato and another doesn’t get it. Your dry heat and less water must make your tomatoes delicious.
Elaine... you need to move! :lol: I was looking up in Epic Tomatoes (pg 224) and saw the different climates in the different regions in the US. It makes my head spin :shock:

I just checked ours in comparison to the climate zones with the US, ours is 7 USDA Zone I believe.
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 am

you need to move! :lol:
I have wanted to move since I got here , 40 years ago. :roll:

I am not saying we can’t grow some excellent tomatoes but other places have advantages. And I could never grow a Wilber style plant -27 feet tall.
Carl Huffaker

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 am
you need to move! :lol:
I have wanted to move since I got here , 40 years ago. :roll:

I am not saying we can’t grow some excellent tomatoes but other places have advantages. And I could never grow a Wilber style plant -27 feet tall.
:lol: :lol: :lol: oh my! Still never too late to relocate!

Yeah, like Mangoes! - Tropical fruit =) check the Mango thread… I made some suggestions re your ´sour beyond belief FOOTBALL sized´ mangoes! :lol:

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 am

Oh, now I remember why we live here. We have mangos, lychees, bananas, plantain, sapodilla, longan, AVOCADOS. Lemon, Key Limes and pineapple. Forgot egg fruit which is not my favorite. We are considered semi-tropical.

We grow all these and papayas too. Thanks Karen for reminding me.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 am I am not saying we can’t grow some excellent tomatoes but other places have advantages. And I could never grow a Wilber style plant -27 feet tall.
:lol: ha! Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I only just wanna grow tasty toms, regardless of yields e.g. will be happy and contented with 4-5 beefsteak sized ones…

Will be more pedantic this year - compost and mulch - Wilber way =)

I didn´t mulch with straw/hay with my toms the last few years, I did mulch in the 1st 2 years - especially more so now with the crazy heat/temperatures we got last year!

Either that or I will need to add a THICKER layer of compost as mulch instead of hay/straw. Will have to see what I can get hold of. Might even try grass clippings/mowings so long as the tom leaves DO NOT get wet.

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 am Oh, now I remember why we live here. We have mangos, lychees, bananas, plantain, sapodilla, longan, AVOCADOS. Lemon, Key Limes.
Aaaaaand papayas too =) I guess the saying is true, can´t have one´s cake and eating it! :lol:

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 am

Taste is number one, but yield is just a hair away. Equally important unless something is an incredible standout. And I would settle for 15 feet tall . His Guinness record was 342 pounds per plant (1368 pounds on 4 plants.). A measly 200 pounds would be great but ain’t never gonna happen. :( I have never weighed total fruit but I would think that even 10/20 pounds is a challenge. I think some people in their home garden can get 30 pounds per plant pretty regularly.
Not sure though.

And people do love growing tomatoes in South Florida with wonderful results.
But getting dark at 6 has always bugged me.
Last edited by MsCowpea on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Carl Huffaker

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 am

Karen, Have you made any progress on THE LIST?
Carl Huffaker

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 am

MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 am Karen, Have you made any progress on THE LIST?
Don´t think I ever will! :lol:

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Elaine - I swear you will cringe (or LOL) if you see this. :lol: I am NOT making fun of the person who likes YP. But just goes to show how extreme and diverse one´s taste buds can be, be it the differing growing conditions of the said tom.
Screenshot (154).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm

As the English says: “there's nowt so queer as folk“
Or maybe he has that elusive but delightful YP.
Carl Huffaker

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26 pm

Sharks ain't picky eaters, as they'll likely sample anything that floats by. ;) And kept a bit short on water, makes those anythings as good as they can be. :)

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm

Nan6b wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:05 am Karen, there are many yellow pear-shaped little tomatoes. Most people don't like the one called Yellow Pear. But Beam's Yellow Pear, Medova Kaplya, Galina, etc., are different types that taste different. Obviously you need to try them all. :o
[mention]MissS[/mention] [mention]EdieJ[/mention]

Galina's is indeed a round cherry. However, a pear tomato going by that name (and/or Galina) did exist. It was sold at snakeriverseeds.com. It looks like they replaced it with the regular one recently, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26 pm Sharks ain't picky eaters, as they'll likely sample anything that floats by. ;) And kept a bit short on water, makes those anythings as good as they can be. :)
Am just a simple, tiny anchovy ^-^

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm

1. I may be mistaken about Galina being a pear. But there are many small yellow pear tomatoes, each different.
2. What if you get Yellow Pear and it's as bad as they say? If you dehydrate it in a dehydrator until crispy, that little bit of sweetness gets concentrated and you have a heavenly tomato chip.
3. Antho does not "contaminate" other tomatoes. They don't cross any more or less than any other. You may have heard that a lot of people find that most anthos don't taste so good. Your buds may be different. I have found that Dark Galaxy is a very tasty and beautiful antho.

Nan

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm

[mention]Nan6b[/mention]
Do you have a pear-shaped tomato that was supposed to be Galina's? That would be pretty cool, if so. If it's true to type and tastes like Galina's, maybe call it Galina Pear.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:20 pm

TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am
MsCowpea wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:40 am I am not saying we can’t grow some excellent tomatoes but other places have advantages. And I could never grow a Wilber style plant -27 feet tall.
:lol: ha! Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... I only just wanna grow tasty toms, regardless of yields e.g. will be happy and contented with 4-5 beefsteak sized ones…

Will be more pedantic this year - compost and mulch - Wilber way =)

I didn´t mulch with straw/hay with my toms the last few years, I did mulch in the 1st 2 years - especially more so now with the crazy heat/temperatures we got last year!

Either that or I will need to add a THICKER layer of compost as mulch instead of hay/straw. Will have to see what I can get hold of. Might even try grass clippings/mowings so long as the tom leaves DO NOT get wet.

For me, mulch/compost (not compacted) needs to be about 2 1/2" + deep to start with, settling to about 2" in order to have a good positive effect. Anything less, and it doesn't do the best good job to help retain moisture in the soil.

Return to “Tomato Talk”