Blackened Tomatoes better than Black Krim ???

Everything About Tomatoes
TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Blackened Tomatoes better than Black Krim ???

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:27 pm

I had never lost a valued tomato variety, until this past year. I had read articles where it could happen to outside plants.  My rows are over 5 feet apart, I never collect seeds, unless the same variety is on each side of the intended fruit to be collected from.  For years I had grown a few Black Krim, just because of taste. I also grew a few Sunray. I used Sunray as a measuring stick. To see if any of the other ''so called" heat tolerant, drought resistant varieties could beat it. My last wave of plants are faced with a hot and dry August/September. A few times Sunray was tied, but never beaten. The plants I grew in 2020, from 2019 collected seeds, all morphed. Sunray became a potato leaf plant. And Black Krim became a 2-3 ounce tomato. Being a Covid shut in has driven me to becoming experimental seed shopping crazy. I can go on without Sunray, if need be. But I can't make it without a good blackened tomato. I've purchased the below darkened seeds. Will any beat Black Krim ?
Black Sea Man.
Black From Tula.
Large Barr Boar.
Black Vernissage.
Carbon.
Indian Stripes.
Brown. {Kumato} 
Pink Boar. 

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: Blackened Tomatoes better than Black Krim ???

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:33 pm

I have grown Black Krim and Carbon. I no longer grow Black Krim. I had a lot of splitting and low production. Carbon will take up a lot of room in my garden next year because of its flavor, production and it is almost blemish free.

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Zeuspaul-- Best news I've heard in awhile. I've tried about 20 of the blackened varieties. They all were crack prone, and average producers, at best.
I'm looking to do better.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:03 pm

I will second the vote on Carbon. The other one on your list that I still grow is Indian Strip.

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:06 pm

I've grown several on your list, and Indian Stripe and Carbon are two I grow every year, look into Margaret Curtain, Paul Robeson, and BKX, a Black Krim cross that does better for me.

root_grow
Reactions:

Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:08 pm

Black from Tula is one of my favorite tomatoes, I grow more of them every year. Bigger than Black Krim and better flavor. Pink Boar is also delicious and productive but smaller than the others, mine were uniform spheres at 3-4oz. They had a bit more acid than the other dark tomatoes, I really enjoyed them.

And I’ll second the Paul Robeson suggestion, can’t be without those.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:20 pm

TomHillbilly wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:27 pm I had never lost a valued tomato variety, until this past year. I had read articles where it could happen to outside plants.  My rows are over 5 feet apart, I never collect seeds, unless the same variety is on each side of the intended fruit to be collected from.  For years I had grown a few Black Krim, just because of taste. I also grew a few Sunray. I used Sunray as a measuring stick. To see if any of the other ''so called" heat tolerant, drought resistant varieties could beat it. My last wave of plants are faced with a hot and dry August/September. A few times Sunray was tied, but never beaten. The plants I grew in 2020, from 2019 collected seeds, all morphed. Sunray became a potato leaf plant. And Black Krim became a 2-3 ounce tomato. Being a Covid shut in has driven me to becoming experimental seed shopping crazy. I can go on without Sunray, if need be. But I can't make it without a good blackened tomato. I've purchased the below darkened seeds. Will any beat Black Krim ?
Black Sea Man.
Black From Tula.
Large Barr Boar.
Black Vernissage.
Carbon.
Indian Stripes.
Brown. {Kumato} 
Pink Boar. 
A stick will beat Black Krim ...

into a pulp ready for the sauce pot.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:08 pm

I'll post a vote for Black Vernissage. It's a large cherry, not a slicing tomato, though. I've grown both Black and Pink Vernissage, and iirc, both are pretty and good-tasting as fresh tomatoes and spectacular as dried tomatoes. Dried, they taste like pizza sauce!

Dee
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Of the varieties you listed, Carbon and Black Sea Man are among my favourites. I also love Paul Robeson, which was mentioned by others in the follow-up comments.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:24 pm

Carbon and Paul Robeson both taste very good. Robeson is not very productive. However, my very favorite black tomato is Daniel Burson. This plant pumps out tomatoes that have very good flavor. Does Krim taste better, yes. But Burson is so very reliable and will give me a great tasting black tomato every single day. It is this plant that I go into the garden and look to see what is ready to be bringing in everyday. This is one great workhorse that I will keep in my stable forever.
~ Patti ~

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:05 pm

MissS----Thanks for the post---Maybe ? LOL.. Now you got me wondering about Daniel Burson? Enough for me to put it on bucket list.
I suspect me and you see eye to eye on Black Krim's faults. It has several--none of which is taste. Krim's faults is why I'm switching up.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:07 am

TomHillbilly wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:05 pm MissS----Thanks for the post---Maybe ? LOL.. Now you got me wondering about Daniel Burson? Enough for me to put it on bucket list.
I suspect me and you see eye to eye on Black Krim's faults. It has several--none of which is taste. Krim's faults is why I'm switching up.
PM me and I will be happy to send you seeds.
~ Patti ~

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:34 am

I'm growing Daniel Burson for the first time next year. You've got me excited for it now :lol:

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:30 am

MissS--I attached your offer in a note under Daniel Burson in my "to grow" list. If we are still alive and able, I may contact you at next year's end. Being a Covid shut in has driven me to be a compulsive internet seed shopper. I've got to get some of my experimental planting completed, before I get any more seeds.

agee
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am

Another tomato you may want to put on your research / shopping list is Japanese Black Trifele, despite its name, it is a Russian tomato.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Dwarf tasmanian chocolate tastes as good as paul robeson and makes more tomatoes, in my experience.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 pm

My favorite black is a mystery, from an Elgin Pink plant. I'm currently on the hunt for Purple Elgin to see if it's anything similar. A few MMMM participants will be receiving this tomato as "Elbonian Mudslinger".

Paulf
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:52 am

Black Krim must do well in some areas better than here. I have never had success with that variety in my garden. I do agree that Carbon is a nice choice along with my standard Cherokee Purple. I love to experiment with "blacks" and these are some that have proven themselves here in alphabetical order rather than by preference:
Akers West Virginia Black
Amazon Chocolate RL
Bear Creek
Black Bear
Black Burgundy
Black Cherry
Black Giant
Cherokee Black
Clear Lake...a new favorite Black
Daniel Burson
Indische Fleisch
PPP X PP-C...pale perfect purple X purple price cross
Vorlon

A couple of varieties often mentioned are D.B. Cooper and J.D.s Special C-Tex but here I have not had success along with Black Krim. Another, Big Cheef I have only grown once and while it was OK I need more experience before suggesting it as a good one.

Several of the blacks in the Dwarft Project could be named but my participation may have been early in the process and may not be accurate for the final product.

I enjoy growing "blacks" just to see what is what and will try all the suggestions I have not grown before.

TXTravis
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:45 am

My most consistent is the newish Cherokee Carbon hybrid. I'm trying Indian Stripe, Gary O'Sena, and JDs Special C-Tex this year for the first time. If thinks go as expected, JD's and Indian Stripe will likely be winners, based on what I've read. We'll see about the others...
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:48 pm

The dark tomato in my mix of differently colored saladettes is bola maciza. Size can vary a little with the weather, ranging from very large cherry to small slicer. Flavor is very good.

Return to “Tomato Talk”