Which Orange Tomato Should I Grow?

Everything About Tomatoes
Gardadore
Reactions:

Re: Which Orange Tomato Should I Grow?

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:45 am

Forgot to mention in the last post that I, too, find Sweet Ozark Orange to be excellent. Had forgotten about that one. Haven’t grown it for a couple of years because trying so many others but it is worth serious consideration!

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Gardadore wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:41 am Is Marianna’s still in business? Site seems to only mention catalog and seeds from 2017. Don’t want to derail this thread but it was just mentioned as a source for an orange variety.
Good question. The website has been experiencing issues on and off for a few years or so. I haven't ordered from them since I got Mexican Yellow. Their breeders were on Facebook, last I checked (back when I used Facebook). Marianna might have been, too. I think they had a group, which seemed to be active (and very centered on their own products). Randy Sine was one of the breeders on Facebook; there were at least two others participating.

I have hope to grow out Mexican Yellow again, but my last attempt from my saved seeds turned out to be a pink cross (I think with Chapman). I plan to try again this year. I don't know if I have any seeds from the original packet left, without checking.

Whether or not I end up getting the true Mexican Yellow, the cross has a lot of value to me, and I plan to grow at least one each of the F2s, F3s, and F4s, this year. I plan to see if I can get some yellow/orange fruits from any of them, too, and more flavors.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Albertan
Reactions:

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 am

Gardadore wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:41 am Is Marianna’s still in business? Site seems to only mention catalog and seeds from 2017. Don’t want to derail this thread but it was just mentioned as a source for an orange variety.
From "Mariseeds: Facebook page Dec 28, 2020:

I am working on a new website , but it won't be up for a few weeks. Anyone who would like me to email you the new 2018-2021 varieties can do so at maribu310@gmail.com . I will use this until I get my mail server changed for mariseeds.com) The new site will start with new varieties and I will add the older varieties a bit at a time. I appreciate your patience.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:52 pm

The only orange I have planned this year is sweet ozark orange. I kept seed from a big one this year, 2# or so, I forget exactly. But how it would grow in zone 2-3 instead of 6-7? No idea.

Tormato cracked me up though. I sort of want to grow stump this year since everyone else will but I'll have to find my seed for it. It did well at least one year and then didn't do much the next couple.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:33 pm

[mention]JRinPA[/mention] , I'll be curious as to how SotW does in different growing conditions. Since much of the seed out there right now has come from the same place, around the same time, and it's being grown the same year, its a good test to its versatility.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Paulf
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:38 pm

My plans for orange/yellow varieties are Kellogg's Breakfast/KBX or both, Orange Russian #117, Wisconsin 55 Gold, G.G.'s Yellow Belgian and Nelson's Gold.Thanks for the recommendations.

Mojo
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Orange Jazz. It blew my mind, and even threatened to displace Black Krim and Atkinson as Tastiest-I've-Ever-Grown.
There is no such thing as too many tomatoes, and anyone who tells you otherwise should be shunned --you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

SW Houston, Zone 9A

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:08 am

Shule wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:55 pm
Good question. The website has been experiencing issues on and off for a few years or so. I haven't ordered from them since I got Mexican Yellow. Their breeders were on Facebook, last I checked (back when I used Facebook). Marianna might have been, too. I think they had a group, which seemed to be active (and very centered on their own products). Randy Sine was one of the breeders on Facebook; there were at least two others participating.

I have hope to grow out Mexican Yellow again, but my last attempt from my saved seeds turned out to be a pink cross . . . . I plan to try again this year. I don't know if I have any seeds from the original packet left, without checking.

Whether or not I end up getting the true Mexican Yellow, the cross has a lot of value to me, and I plan to grow at least one each of the F2s, F3s, and F4s, this year. I plan to see if I can get some yellow/orange fruits from any of them, too, and more flavors.
EDIT: The first Mexican Yellow fruit of 2021 had BER--so, that's why it was so early:

Well, I got my first ripe Mexican Yellow tomato of the season, today (61 days from the transplant; 100 days from seed). It's the true yellow/orange-ish variety (not a pink cross), this time. Pink is dominant, and the first time I grew it, it wasn't pink (so, the original seed wasn't crossed either). I planted the original seed in 2016, and saved seeds. I grew a pink cross from those in 2017, and tried again from the 2016 seed, this year, and got a yellow/orange-ish one that wasn't crossed (if it were a cross, it would be pink that generation, since dominant genes are always expressed, if present).

So, that's a big relief. I was worried I might be out of seeds for the original variety (and it's kind of hard to find; so, that would have been sad). If you're interested in seeds, let me know, and when I've saved seeds we can arrange for you to send a SASE. There are plenty of fruits on the plant, and probably plenty more to come. I'll probably save seeds from at least three fruits separately.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

GardenGuy00
Reactions:

Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:40 pm

Out of the orange tomatoes I’ve grown:

Kellogg’s Breakfast tastes quite good, but doesn’t produce well in my experience. Ditto for Persimmon. Jubilee is okay both in taste and yield. In my experience Kentucky Beefsteak is an excellent high-yielding variety, though that may because I live in KY myself!

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Tasted the second Kellogg's Breakfast today, the first to be uneaten by the rabbits. And sadly, the wife and I were a bit disappointed.

The plant has grown predictably, considering the mishaps at the start of the season. And the fruit that have been produced are quite beautiful. The fruit are on the softer side, and nice and juicy. The disappointment comes once we tasted it. It was, bland..... As someone who can't stand store bought taste, I easily downed it on the fact that it had little taste, but after a moment I looked at the wife and said sadly "it's bland" with her immediate and undoubting response of "Yep". We tried adding a sprinkle of salt, but there was little acid for the salt to bring any flavor out.

This was my first time growing this variety, and I'll give it another try since so many people have had such great experiences. I hope to get a better take next year.

20210823_194217.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

zendog
Reactions:

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:58 pm

I feel the same way about Kellogg's/KBX, but I grow a bunch of seedlings for others who just love it. I've tried persimmon and brandywine yellow (yellow but almost orange when fully ripe) and I think they both have more taste but still seem too mild to me. I've just determined that I really like a bit of acid in my tomato taste and the yellow/orange/bi-color crowd doesn't really deliver. The only yellow/orange I really enjoy is Nizami, a heart, and while not much acid the dense flesh of a heart with the rich taste makes it more interesting to me. I'm starting to think I'll never find a beefsteak orange (or yellow or bicolor) that won't seem a bit watered down on the flavor scale.
Rockoe10 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:52 pm Tasted the second Kellogg's Breakfast today, the first to be uneaten by the rabbits. And sadly, the wife and I were a bit disappointed.

The plant has grown predictably, considering the mishaps at the start of the season. And the fruit that have been produced are quite beautiful. The fruit are on the softer side, and nice and juicy. The disappointment comes once we tasted it. It was, bland..... As someone who can't stand store bought taste, I easily downed it on the fact that it had little taste, but after a moment I looked at the wife and said sadly "it's bland" with her immediate and undoubting response of "Yep". We tried adding a sprinkle of salt, but there was little acid for the salt to bring any flavor out.

This was my first time growing this variety, and I'll give it another try since so many people have had such great experiences. I hope to get a better take next year.

20210823_194217.jpg

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:25 am

My buddy right up the road in Clear Lake grew Amana Orange. It was his favorite tomato. Big, beautiful, productive, delicious. I did see the photos. He was so pumped about it I want to grow it. He also grew pink brandywine, Black Krim, Cherokee purple, Big Beef, Pineapple and a few others I cant recall but noted for flavor, I think he had 42 plants total and Amana Orange was his top variety on taste and he said it was productive.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:42 am

Sticking with SOO next year, says I. The only sad part, they couldn't all be eaten in sandwiches. I tried, but failed. Oh, shame. But the sauce is good. Orange and red and pink and red and black and red - apparently makes red - and super sweet.
pics from this last couple weeks.
169 (2).JPG
178 (2).JPG
279.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:55 am

I can answer the Marianna's question! Yes! She is still in business. I ordered from her this spring. You have to email her and I can dig it up if you would like. There is an email listed on her Facebook group page (I tried to join but they just leave me pending forever) and from there I sent an email requesting the list. I got a few things plus some stuff that is off list. She also told me that she maintains a list at seed savers as well. One tomato I really wanted was Adam1 which is not listed on her list, but she did have it. Transaction went as follows... I requested the list and asked about the off list requests. I got the list and she answered my questions. I told her what I wanted and she gave me a total and I paid via paypal. She shipped the same day I paid. Wasn't bad. I will do it again.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:19 pm

zendog wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:58 pm I feel the same way about Kellogg's/KBX, but I grow a bunch of seedlings for others who just love it. I've tried persimmon and brandywine yellow (yellow but almost orange when fully ripe) and I think they both have more taste but still seem too mild to me. I've just determined that I really like a bit of acid in my tomato taste and the yellow/orange/bi-color crowd doesn't really deliver. The only yellow/orange I really enjoy is Nizami, a heart, and while not much acid the dense flesh of a heart with the rich taste makes it more interesting to me. I'm starting to think I'll never find a beefsteak orange (or yellow or bicolor) that won't seem a bit watered down on the flavor scale.
Rockoe10 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:52 pm Tasted the second Kellogg's Breakfast today, the first to be uneaten by the rabbits. And sadly, the wife and I were a bit disappointed.

20210823_194217.jpg
The yellow/orange/(well, maybe not bicolor) crowd delivers if you get the right varieties. Aunt Gertie's Gold will deliver all the bite you want. I've heard that Azoychka and a few others are also in that crowd.

zendog
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:19 pmThe yellow/orange/(well, maybe not bicolor) crowd delivers if you get the right varieties. Aunt Gertie's Gold will deliver all the bite you want. I've heard that Azoychka and a few others are also in that crowd.
Well I have Aunt Ginny's Purple and Aunt Ruby's German Green, so I guess I'll have to hope to get Aunt Gertie's Gold in this year's MMMM so I have the "Aunt Hat Trick" in next years garden.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:32 pm

I grew Azoychka for quite a few years. It is a nice early tomato that isn't too big and does ok in pots. I like it. But I like KB better. But to me, a tomato does not have to be acid to be tasty. If you feel that way, I would stay away from the less acid, sweeter tomatoes which includes most orange and yellow. If all you are looking for acid taste, it helps to say that when asking for recommendations. I could be wrong, but if you asked for that I don't think many would bring up KB or similar tomatoes.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:13 pm

If it hasn't been mentioned before, Orange King is a great one. Determinate, 3' tall, and loaded with 3" slicers with excellent taste. Best true orange one that I've grown in a few years.

Martin

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:55 am

Paquebot wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:13 pm If it hasn't been mentioned before, Orange King is a great one. Determinate, 3' tall, and loaded with 3" slicers with excellent taste. Best true orange one that I've grown in a few years.

Martin
Which Orange King? The one bred by Tim Peters, or the one at Victory Seeds? (And maybe there are others?)

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:41 pm

Orange King is an old one from University of New Hampshire, released in 1945. Apparently was popular in the Dakotas. Doing a great job here, too.

Martin

Return to “Tomato Talk”