Baker Creek closed "to catch up"

Everything About Tomatoes
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Baker Creek closed "to catch up"

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:05 am

Someone told me that Baker Creek is temporarily closed until Jan 20th in order to catch up. True. The notice is posted on their website.

Johnny's is also somewhat closed until Jan 19th for the same reason.
"Due to a recent surge of orders and our ongoing Covid precautions, we are only accepting home gardener orders on Tuesday and Wednesday ET. Home garden order taking will re-open on Tuesday, January 19th.

Commercial farmers can place new orders at any time. To place an online order commercial farmers must log-in to their website account. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience."

I have no idea what "Tuesday and Wednesday ET" means.

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Baker Creek closed "to catch up"

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:38 am

ET= likely eastern time zone hours, but just a wild burro guess. Johnny’s is In the eastern time zone, Maine.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 am

Thanks for the information [mention]GoDawgs[/mention] Here are a couple of others to add to the list.

Heritage Seed Market :
We need time to restock seeds and process orders so we will not be taking any new orders until Feb. 1.
We appreciate your patience and patronage and hope you will check back in February. Thank You! – Ellie, Ted and Steve

FedCo Seedsl:
Fedco Seeds is not accepting new orders for vegetable, flower, and herb seeds at this time due to very high demand. We will be open for ordering again next weekend. Due to high order volume and shipping company overload, it may take 4–6 weeks for orders to arrive. We appreciate your patience in this exceptional season.

Seeds Now has been close for a while. Nothing other than "we're closed" on their site.

I'll post any other temporary closures I run across.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:50 am

If it's anything like the business i manage, there won't be any merchandise any time soon. Not only is the demand up for various products, but supply is down too. And demand for seeds will only increase in the next couple months, in my area. I don't expect seed to last long in our stores around here.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:00 am

This is the second time Baker Creek has shut down for a short time to catch up. Seems to work well as I have received two orders and the third it’s been shipped. They had run out of a couple of items I wanted, informed me when they got them again and shipped. Good they don’t charge for shipping since new orders are only a packet or two.
My Fedco order is “in transit” at the moment so got in under the wire before they stopped accepting orders.
It will be frustrating this year not being able to get things on your wishlist if they can’t be restocked. Wonder if this will lead to more seed exchanges or sharing to help people get what they are looking for!

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:08 am

Southern Exposure may need to shut down periodically. Part of their statement and link to full statement below:

We are accepting orders right now! We will attempt to be open every day starting around 10 AM (EST), but will sometimes need to close checkout so we can catch up on packing seeds and shipping orders. We will announce the closing here at least an hour beforehand so as to not catch anyone off guard. Thank you for your patience while we do our best to meet unprecedented demand!

Link to statement:
https://www.southernexposure.com/pandem ... imitations

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:11 am

Not seeds but I saw where a lot of fermenting crocks were out of stock on one site I ran across.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 am

Gardadore wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:00 am This is the second time Baker Creek has shut down for a short time to catch up. Seems to work well as I have received two orders and the third it’s been shipped. They had run out of a couple of items I wanted, informed me when they got them again and shipped. Good they don’t charge for shipping since new orders are only a packet or two.
My Fedco order is “in transit” at the moment so got in under the wire before they stopped accepting orders.
It will be frustrating this year not being able to get things on your wishlist if they can’t be restocked. Wonder if this will lead to more seed exchanges or sharing to help people get what they are looking for!

I placed an order between the shut downs at Baker Creek and received it within 10 days. I've still got one at FedCo that was placed Jan 2 and
has not shipped yet. But, I was aware that it could take 4 weeks or more.
Glad to hear yours is in transit.
I believe it will lead to more people trading and sharing so everyone gets what they need.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 am

Here are a few more:

Jung has closed their phone lines “All orders are being processed normally” so I guess you can still order online. Maybe the phone folks are being shiftred to order filling!

Seeds ‘n Such says they are having shipping delays. “Most orders are shipping out within 5-7 business days. However the USPS is reporting significant shipping delays.”. Their underlining, not mine.

Southern Exposure’s front page says they will take orders daily from 10AM until 12:30. Part of the Read More Here link:

“We will attempt to be open every day starting around 10 AM (EST), but we expect we will often need to stop taking orders once we have reached our capacity for the day. We will announce the closing at least an hour before we stop taking orders so as to not catch anyone off guard. While checkout is down, you’ll still be able to put items in your cart. Log in to ensure that you don’t lose your cart. Thank you for your patience with us while we do our best to keep up with this unprecedented demand!”
More here: https://www.southernexposure.com/pandem ... imitations

Territorial says: “SPECIAL Shipping Updates: (12/31/2020) There are some new products for the 2021 season that are still late/delayed to arrive to our business. This has caused hundreds of orders to be delayed in shipping out until we have them in house and can process and ship to our customers. We are monitoring the situation daily and will work with our customers as best we can to get their orders out to them and can offer substitutions or refunds if desired. These will be shipped out on a first come, first served basis where we will focus on the oldest orders in our system first.”

Victory Seeds says: 1/12/21 - Happy New Year?!?! We have survived the pandemic thus far, but like you, it has greatly affected our lives. Unable to safely increase staffing levels, we have focused on improving process efficiencies and are hoping that we do not have to repeat last spring's web site shutdowns! (see below for that narrative). Needless to say, things here at Victory Seeds® have remained busy since this early last year. As you can read in the recently updated "Pandemic Ordering Terms" (click here), our average order fulfillment time is about 4 to 6 business days.

No delay notices at Sand Hills site.

Vanman
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 am

I ordered from Baker Seeds and Tomato Growers on 12/15. I received the Baker Creek order in about ten days. The Tomato Growers order shipped on 12/17 via USPS. Tracking has not been updated since 12/21. It is still at the originating Post Office. I called the PO and was told that it was loaded into a container on 12/18.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:41 am

The seed companies are doing a great job getting orders together as fast as possible. The USPS has been a nightmare in keeping up with demand. Items sit for days in Centers and all they say is “in transit to next destination” but you have no idea what their version of “next destination” is! Renee’s seeds took 32 days from shipping to get to my friend in PA after arriving in PA and then promptly going for a vacation in Florida! Came back to PA after two weeks and finally delivered!
My packet from Renaissancefarms is somewhere between Philadelphia and me. It was originally supposed to be delivered yesterday. Hopefully will be closer tomorrow!

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:45 pm

I put all my orders in Oct-Dec and received most of them within 10 days, except for a couple outliers: Fedco took 5 days!! And Territorial took 3 weeks.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:17 pm

The orders I placed in Nov didn't arrive until end of December early January. From what I understand they were overwhelmed with packages and
workers out with the virus. The orders I'm waiting on now are of new varieties that weren't offered until January. One has been 3 weeks the other
10 days. I expected delays so no complaints.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:07 pm

At Jung,s, even the owner, Richard Zondag, and his daughter have been workibng at filling orders. Been awhile for them!

Martin
Last edited by Paquebot on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zendog
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:35 pm

I ordered most things I wanted back in November and early December just in case this happened again. I wonder if these messages on the sites will make people even more likely to try to order a bunch of seeds, possibly even more than they would normally just out of panic.

agee
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:16 pm

Nikitovka is currently closed.

Baker Creek has closed down more than twice. I understand that they have to stop taking orders to catch up and/or being short-staffed, but I wish they would keep the website up.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm

I hope this is due more to increased business, and not so much less employees, due to covid19. I just recently got my last order - one I made from Tomatofest in early January, and everything else was in November and early December. I also got a couple Burpee packs from a new place in the area, that sells them at half price, but I really don't need anything else for the season, fortunately!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

wildcat62
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:43 am

Seedsavers advertising they are running 3 weeks behind due to demand & Covid. I ordered from them & Tomatofest in early Jan. & received a email Friday from Tomtofest that they had shipped.

kath
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:45 pm

I also ordered as soon as the new seeds were offered for each company in the fall and received all those orders in a timely manner with the exception of High Mowing, which has been sending many backordered varieties one packet at a time since then...think they still owe me 2. Fedco didn't open until Jan. 1 for the 2021 season so I ordered that morning and received all those seeds late last week. Fedco mailed them right away, but they were stuck in Manchester, NH for a couple weeks.
Home Depot had all their seed racks up today, which was a surprise because usually I don't see seed displays in this area until February.

ness
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 pm

I ordered from Baker Creek yesterday (1/20) and received an e-mail that my order shipped today.

As far as the mail, I ordered something not garden related on 1/10 and UPS had it to my local post office on 1/12. It's been bouncing around the metropolitan Kansas City area ever since then. No delivery as of 1/21.
John

Return to “Tomato Talk”