Seed Buying Time

Everything About Tomatoes
AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Seed Buying Time

Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:34 am

Tomorrow we are going to buy some seeds from Seeds N' Such. They are friendly on the phone, always shipped what I ordered, and I like the $2.99 shipping no matter how much you buy (My sonal opinion).

For our 3 generations of family, I want to grow their favorites. Sungold, SunPeach, and Porter. Well, SunPeach is different/new for us but it says that it is reddish pink - I'm hoping it's a PWR. Sungold is Sungold, and Porter is my definition of a tomato. (Again my personal opinion).

The last selection is a Jalapeno pepper. Why would a Texan buy jalapeno seeds when Jalapenos sell for 75 cents a pound? Pepper growing season is over 200 days here. Peppers from a store is wherever they are grown in a greenhouse or wherever at whatever time. Is it hot, or is it a hybrid with absolutely no taste?
Texas Zone 8A

peebee
Reactions:

Re: Seed Buying Time

Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:38 pm

[mention]AlittleSalt[/mention] do you still have problems with nematodes? I remember you used to battle them all the time. How do you plan on growing tomatoes this time--in pots? In-ground?
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:45 pm

Peebee, I'm sure the nematodes are still in the ground. I'm going to grow a few plants in containers mostly for something to do. I have missed communicating with you and others.

More info: All of us have dealt with a pandemic for months. 2020 was a bad year for me growing tomatoes - they were bitter/off tasting. I actually gave up after buying expensive pro-mix and greenhouse feeding granules. I strictly followed the directions. I dumped out the pro mix into heat related cracks in the backyard. I was done with it all, but I saved the cages.

I can't give up, and I'm going to grow vegies the way I wanted to. Simple pots with MG and water it when needed. It should work - if not, so be it.
Texas Zone 8A

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:17 am

Not sure I know about this method you used last year, about the feeding granules & dumping pro mix into cracks(what cracks?) but sometimes simple is best. MG in a pot works.
When I first bought Pro mix, I didn't know I was supposed to moisten it first, preferably in a wheelbarrow or other large holding thing. So I wasted a whole bag cursing how dry it was 😄 well nobody told me. I only use it in Earthboxes but now that I got the hang of it of course I cannot find it here anymore.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:55 am

Have you tried growing in Straw bales? I did it one year, while my ground was still not ready for plants. It was very productive. And I'm sure if I did it again, it'd do even better.
16112337166484528604734343446798.jpg
This book is wonderful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 pm

Peebee, the cracks in the ground come from not enough rain and hot weather. It happens almost every summer here.
Texas Zone 8A

peebee
Reactions:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:57 pm

AlittleSalt wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 pm Peebee, the cracks in the ground come from not enough rain and hot weather. It happens almost every summer here.
Oh I get it now, I misunderstood & thought you were filling cracks in some contraption as part of a new growing method, besides feeding them nutrients 😄.
We get cracks in the ground here too due to the drought. I'll use your idea with old potting soil next time.

Return to “Tomato Talk”