Another Micro Update

Everything About Tomatoes
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Another Micro Update

Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 am

The micro tomatoes are coming along and we’ve been getting ripe cherries from three of the eight varieties (Lille Lise, Joshalos, Red Robin). The chartreuse Groovey Tunes has just one tomato on it so far and it’s now 1.25” wide. It’s supposed to end up purple with green stripes so it has a way to go yet.

The Chibikko which had gotten 18” tall finally bent over with the weight of its tomato trusses. This is good as it was way taller than the other micros.

And finally, here’s the micro table. Large ones in the front and shorties in the back. The front, right to left: Chibikko, Groovey Tunes, Lille Lise and Red Robin.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Re: Another Micro Update

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Oh wow I have to say very impressed with how they look!! Now I have to start more haha

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:40 pm

It's time for another update. There are now eleven micros out on the porch and that will have to be it for now as between micros and herbs I'm out of room. There are two age groups, one batch started in December and the rest started in April.

These five were started mid December and are still going. They lived indoors under lights (see previous post on this thread) during the early part of the year and were glad to move to the porch as the weather warmed. I will admit to being lax in keeping notes on how they taste except where noted.

Birdie Rouge

Chibikko

This one is a really good candidate for a hanging basket and probably sprawls the most of all the micros I have. The flavor seemed a bit odd at first but I’m pretty used to it by now and like it. It’s also tied with Whippersnapper as the most prolific producer.

Groovey Tunes

This is the one that insisted on growing at an angle while under the lights and I had to do major pruning back to the upright growth. It has more than recovered. It produces few flowers and so far has put on only two fruits at the top, fruits that refuse to ripen. So far it’s only redeeming value is the chartreuse foliage.

Gelbe Topftomate

This one produces well.

Pinocchio Orange

I do like the flavor of this one; a nice balance with some sweetness.

The next batch was started April 24 so the fruits you see are pretty much the first ones these plants have produced other than a few early birds to taste.

Bonsai

Gartenperle

This one is supposed to be a hanging basket variety but it refuses to lay down so for now I’ve propped it up on the porch support. Maybe it will when all those flowers on top make fruit that will start weighing it down.

Minibel

Orange Hat

Rosy Finch

Whippersnapper

I did this one last year so this is the second time around growing this one. Whippersnapper readily falls over into trailing mode as the one on the left is doing. When that happens, a new vertical shoot emerges, gets heavy and also falls over. “Rinse and repeat”. Very productive. That extra foliage in front of them isn’t tomato; it’s very happy mint.

Now that I've worked my way through the micro seed I have, I've started three dwarf plants for fall; Bonté Tigret, BrandyFred and Bushy Chabarovsky. If I find some nice tasty producers, I might be able to sub some dwarfs for some of the full sized tomatoes next year. That would save some potting soil. And save space so I can grow more! :lol: Meanwhile I'm saving seed from all of them for the MMMM.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 pm

Nice to see them all in one place like this and be able to compare them.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:09 pm

Growing Coastal wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 pm Nice to see them all in one place like this and be able to compare them.
I agree. This is a wonderful comparison. It is the first time that I have ever seen anyone do this side by side. It will help me to try to decide what to try to grow over the winter.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Tomato Talk”