Red mulch

Everything About Tomatoes
jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Red mulch

Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:46 pm

I have used straw for mulch for years with good results in my tomatoes. I was thinking about trying the red plastic mulch, I am curious if anyone has used it and what your results were, especially if you can compare it to straw. I'm thinking maybe it would help with foliage fungal issues (although I think straw already helps against splash-back and believe Septoria just comes in on the rain) and it says it can increase yields.

https://www.jungseed.com/product/J53317/1036

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Red mulch

Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 am

I have never used red plastic, but from what I read there is a small yield increase possible. The one study I read said 15% if I remember correctly. I would suggest that you try black plastic as a control, to better compare against straw.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:12 am

Says not recommended for warmer southern states.
No information on blazing hot southwestern states.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:44 pm

I would put the mulch on top of some straw since the straw insulated well and I think it is the reflection off the red that some people believe makes the difference in growth rate as opposed to black.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:14 pm

The only time I used red plastic, the weeds grew under it, as if it was clear! Maybe over the straw would be better.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Paulf
Reactions:

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:41 pm

There is a long history of the study done that says red plastic under tomatoes increases yield. I think this was done with commercial tomato farming in mind. I did try red plastic several times when I had two raised bed gardens, one as the red plastic and one with grass mulch. The difference for a home garden was negligible. On 100 acres maybe it would show something else.

My issue with plastic mulch whether it be red or black or any other color other than clear was the problem of moisture getting to the plants. Water tended to either stay on top of the plastic or roll off to the side. Weeds did tend to grow under the plastic and find their way either to the tomatoes or around the edges. I feel any mulch is better than none at all. Plastic is not a good choice in my opinion. I did use landscape fabric with some success, but it was too expensive in the long run.

With my current and long time mulching program of newsprint with straw over the top I get weed control, temperature control and moisture soaks through to the plants. Edit to agree with the below comment: I till in the paper and straw at the end of the season to amend the soil.
Last edited by Paulf on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:20 am

I second what Paulf mentioned. Additionally, straw helps amend the soil, and if you do this either way, i wouldn't bother with plastic.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:53 am

I have used the red plastic since I couldn't resist buying some on sale one year. Just like Pepperhead, I found that weeds grew underneath it but, not to be deterred, I put newspaper underneath it which stopped the weeds. It lasted two or three seasons before it disintegrated and had to be tossed.

I prefer thick black plastic as a mulch. It warms the soil in spring, stops the weeds and keeps the moisture in. I've used it for many years.

Comparing a mulch of pond weed to plastic, I found that the plastic was better. There was a visible difference between the row of tomatoes grown with just pond weed vs the row with plastic, the latter being bigger and better. It has to be that the plastic kept moisture trapped in the soil much better.

Linda

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:16 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll keep on with the straw, I do like the natural look and I doubt the red plastic will have any impact with regard to Septoria because I mulch rather deeply with straw--so what ever Septoria comes in on the rain is going to come in on the rain.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:06 pm

I think the huge percentage increase may come from the soil warming up under the red plastic cover.
In reality it has nothing to do with the color.
You get warm soil early you get an increase in productivity sooner because the warm soil will allow the plants to grow.
Cold soil they just sulk and do nothing.
In my opinion the red color is simply a gimmick.
One thing I did do as an experiment was to monitor temperature of soil made into a hill compared to flat soil.
The hills were warmer.
Can't remember how much maybe 10F.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:43 pm

@worth1

These studies weren’t done by mental invalids. They compared different colors of plastic, not just red versus nothing.

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/2003/sep/mulch/

Interesting read. I just use cardboard and straw, I couldn’t see spending money on fancy plastic for my twelve plants, but still pretty interesting stuff, I wouldn’t be so quick to write it off as a gimmick.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Return to “Tomato Talk”