Micro Tomato Rehab Day

Everything About Tomatoes
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Micro Tomato Rehab Day

Mon May 03, 2021 2:22 pm

The micro tomatoes that were started in December have gotten long in the tooth and unwieldy. They have been living in cottage cheese containers and they've outgrown them. Their shoes are way too tight!

This afternoon was a good time to deal with it. Two of the six got tossed out entirely. The rest got repotted to larger pots. They also got big haircuts which, in a few cases, meant cutting off trusses of green cherries but they had to go to balance out the plants again. One leaning at a 45 degree angle got repotted straight up. They’re all now half the size they were. Fix it time!

Left to right: Gelbe Topftomate, Pinocchio Orange, Joshalos and Birdie Rouge

Chibikko on the left, Groovey Tunes on the right. Thanks to Ellie's plant description, Chibikko has been in a two gallon pot from the beginning and I'm glad for it. It's covered with flowers right now. I still think those tomatoes have a strange taste.

They've been producing for a while now and have slowed down a lot. They're determinates but I think they might have another round or two left in them. They'll get the chance.

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: Micro Tomato Rehab Day

Mon May 03, 2021 2:56 pm

Looking great Godawgs and thanks for sharing with us!

This was my first time growing micro's under lights, and there were some learning curves. The first was that my Roots Farm LED light I seems way too strong, and burns leaves with abandon! "Linda" (at 3' tall!) was not as compact as I was led to believe, but perhaps it was the fault of the LED lights because "Red Robin" (a variety that I have grown before several times on a windowsill) was also way too tall. Since I couldn't raise the LED light any higher, I staked the giants, and put them on the windowsills. I pruned back any fruitless branches and numerous burned leaves, but they haven't been in much hurry to produce more fruit. After this happened, I decided to grow Birdie Jaune, Jocholas and Orange Pinnochio under gentler lights and I am just beginning to get tomatoes from them :).

It's been a fun tomato-growing winter/spring, with enough tomatoes to make a salad twice a week :).

Linda

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Mon May 03, 2021 3:10 pm

I am just so new in growing these dwarf and micro dwarfs, i had some in the MMMM swap. They are so bushy and compact and the stems are so thick. None have fruited yet but they remind me a bit of bonsai, i am sure i should be taking more care of them but they seem to be doing well so far.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon May 03, 2021 4:35 pm

I'm fairly new to micros, having been introduced to them last June. Those four or five lived outside and did really well. Then I started the same ones again in mid October and those lived only under lights indoors. Once they outgrew the shelves on my light stand, I rigged two fixtures on chains over a table so I could keep the lights about 3" away. The lights are T-8 florescent tubes, nothing special.

Then I started some different ones mid December, the ones I posted about below. I ended up with eight plants and It got way too crowded because there were two that were way too big for their britches, Groovey Tunes and Chibikko. The four in the back row were all pretty much the same height. To handle height problems in the front I raised the light on the tall end and had to shove some books under the shorties on the other end so they weren't too far from the lights. You make it up as you go along. :lol:

When spring temps came, Groovey and Chibikko got booted out to the front porch and the other six got some elbow room. This is PInocchio Orange on March 9 (started 12/14).

Joshalos, which has maintained its petite habit and whose tomatoes I really like!

I can't wait to see what the newly started ones (Gartenperle, Minibel, Orange Hat, Rosy Finch) end up like.

Micros are such fun to play with over the winter and keep that gardening itch scratched. Word of caution... growing these little suckers can be addictive!

Return to “Tomato Talk”