Napa Chardonnay Foliage

Everything About Tomatoes
Pokemato
Reactions:

Napa Chardonnay Foliage

Thu May 06, 2021 7:34 pm

This was my first year growing more than a few tomatoes, my first year winter sowing, and my first year participating in the swap...so I've got lots of firsts happening! Today, looking over my tomatoes still sadly in their jugs with Mother Nature deciding to hit us with another cold snap here in 6b, I noticed one tomato plant had very dark, almost purple foliage. I thought it would likely be one of the new to me varieties of dark tomatoes. However, according to the seed I planted, it was labeled Napa Chardonnay. Has anyone grown this one and is the foliage dark? I've never grown this one before. Edited to add, google tells me that it might be a nutritional deficiency, but it's in a jug with a few other plants and they are all green and thriving. Also, I have been fertilizing periodically these seedlings (all quite large) with half strength fish emulsion. Thanks!

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Napa Chardonnay Foliage

Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 pm

That is wonderful [mention]Pokemato[/mention] ! It's very exciting. I hope you've enjoyed this winter sow as much as I have. I'm sure you're like me and can't get enough gardening.

As for the purple foliage. There are a couple things this could be. One is environmental, which would include temperature being too cold and lack of micro minerals. However, I would lean towards the second which is genetics. There are many varieties that have purple foliage whether that's under the leaves or in the veins. SunGold and it's progeny tend to have this coloration. As do anthocyanine verities. Being that Napa Chardonnay comes from Wild Boar Farms, and Brad loves to experiment with blue tomatoes, I'd venture to guess that it has lineage back to an anthocyanine relative. But that is just a guess.

Either way, I wouldn't stress over it. Unless it lasts well into maturity, or if this is a trait that you have taken interest in. If you like the color, I recommend growing Sungold Select!
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Napa Chardonnay Foliage

Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm

I agree with Rockoe10. Don't worry too much, it will outgrow this once it warms up and you get it in the garden. Cold temperatures often cause a phosphorous deficiency which will give your plants a purple hue and once the weather turns the condition will correct itself.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Tomato Talk”