Horizontal tomatoes

Everything About Tomatoes
Barmaley
Reactions:

Horizontal tomatoes

Wed May 12, 2021 12:43 am

Hello everybody. I am trying to solve several issues. First I have a not of trees and second I don't have enough sun light because of trees. At the same time I have too many varieties to try, so I decided to try to bring several plants to my house roof(please don't laugh - I have not other choice!) . At the same time it does not seems feasible to grow then up - my roof is already 35' high. Then I remember that tomato is a vine. May I grow it down the roof trying to keep it 1' over the roof surface? It the plan works I can easily add additional 5-6 plants at full sun with plenty of space! I guess I may bring few pots with strawberry there is well. Can I keep strawberries in the same pot with tomatoes? To make the whole project sounds too strange I need to say that I have an easy access to a reasonable not steep garage roof from an attic window.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Horizontal tomatoes

Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 am

I think that it may be worth a try. Off the top of my head I think that wind might be an issue for you doing this. You may have to find a way to support the plants so that they don't break off during a windy storm. You will also have to manage getting water to your plants on a regular basis. I am also thinking that maybe you would want your plant to poke out through the side of your planter rather than the top to lessen the bend on your plants stems.

I can not recommend planting strawberries in the same container as a tomato plant. They need to be separate.
~ Patti ~

Barmaley
Reactions:

Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 am

I think it is a great idea to poke out through a side!!! I think it can be done with a grow bag, which still is better than a pot if in a stormy weather it will fall on somebody's head!!!

Shule
Reactions:

Wed May 12, 2021 1:49 am

I second what MissS said about strawberries. I grew a tomato with strawberries once, and it didn't turn out well (the tomato caught a disease that the strawberries were harboring).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Talk”