Taste the tomato, take a picture of it and get the seeds

Everything About Tomatoes
MrBig46
Reactions:

Taste the tomato, take a picture of it and get the seeds

Sat May 15, 2021 12:16 pm

I started a new project with tomatoes focusing on testing their taste and getting fresh seeds.
At home, I accumulate tomato seeds, which I would like to taste, but I am not able to grow more than eighty indeterminate plants and twenty determinant plants in due time. My window is small and I am no longer able to take care of more than 80 cherry tomatoes in the garden. Every year I get more seeds, more seeds age and I'm sorry not to do anything about it. That's why I decided that sometime in mid-April I would sow seeds of fifty varieties, which I would be able to grow on the balcony. Sometime in mid-June, I will put them in two tunnels in the garden, which will protect the flowers against unwanted insect pollination. For bush tomatoes, this should be no problem. Indeterminant I would lead on one a stem that would end after second inflorescence, so ripe tomatoes should were soon. I hope I can do it.
Today I have 47 varieties of tomatoes on the balcony, which I will grow in the framework of this project. I expect to put them in the garden in two to three weeks.
Vladimír

Barmaley
Reactions:

Re: Taste the tomato, take a picture of it and get the seeds

Wed May 19, 2021 9:54 pm

Hi Vladimir,

Do you have a list of varieties you grow? It is a lot of tomatoes!
Since you are trimming your indeterminate plants you may not get the proper idea about the test. I was told that some tomatoes taste better at the beginning and some at the end of the season.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon May 24, 2021 6:10 pm

Its an ambitious goal. Good luck!
- Marsha

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed May 26, 2021 11:37 am

Barmaley wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:54 pm Hi Vladimir,

Do you have a list of varieties you grow? It is a lot of tomatoes!
Since you are trimming your indeterminate plants you may not get the proper idea about the test. I was told that some tomatoes taste better at the beginning and some at the end of the season.

Today they look like this. They are on the balcony and they are cold, but they are growing. It will soon be warmer and I will probably immediately put them in the garden on the flower bed. In this project I have the following varieties:
Vladimír

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed May 26, 2021 11:52 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:10 pm Its an ambitious goal. Good luck!
Yes, it will be a challenging project. I'm already worried today if I can do it. What worries me the most is whether I can describe the taste. Now I need to figure out how to mark the fruits in the garden to make them at home, where I will do everything (photography, pH and Brix measurements, taste testing, etc.). After all, something can get me wrong when transporting fruits home. So far, I'm looking for an indelible marker with which I would write the name directly on the fruit. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Vladimír

MrBig46
Reactions:

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:07 am

Finally, the weather in our country calmed down, so on Tuesday I planted all indeterminate varieties of this project. The seedlings were quite small, four to five leaves, so I shaded them against the bright sun. Today I canceled the shading, the plants look good. Weather forecast for the next week for tomatoes excellent daytime temperatures around 25 ° C night over 10 ° C. So far, I have determinant seedlings on the balcony, I want to know when they will have the first flowers (after how many true leaves will they have). Watching at home is easier for me than in a bed in the garden.
Vladimír

Barmaley
Reactions:

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:45 pm

I foresee the biggest challenge not in labeling but in taste description. I guess I teste preferences are as diverse as our sense of beauty in music. To my surprise I recently learnt that majority of young Americans don't like classical music :o
On the other hand taste depends a lot on growing condition. That it the main goal of your experiment, Vladimir?

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 am

This year I grow 120 varieties of tomatoes. I have them divided into three groups and I have set different priorities for each. Of course, I am also interested in taste in each of these groups. I could simply describe the taste as follows: excellent, very good, good and disgusting. Some also describe taste by such a point system from one to ten. I cannot use it , because I don't have the taste memory that someone may have. So I will try to solve the taste by comparison, even if this is complicated.
Group 1: 20 varieties of early determinant varieties - I am mainly interested in DTM
Group 2: 20 indeterminate varieties for which I want to make seeds for future cultivation
3rd group of 80 varieties that should bring me the main harvest taste tomatoes.
For all, I will take pictures of the fruit, weigh it, measure their pH and Brix, etc.
For comparison, I show in the picture how the taste of TatianaTOMATO base is evaluated.
Vladimír

Return to “Tomato Talk”