Favorite hanging basket types?

Everything About Tomatoes
zendog
Reactions:

Favorite hanging basket types?

Sat May 29, 2021 12:14 pm

I'm curious what people like among the hanging basket type tomatoes. I'm growing some along my front retaining wall with the hope that they'll just tumble down over the wall as they grow, maybe with a little directing by me. I'd also love to see pictures of how people have grown these, especially since I can't imagine trying to keep up with the watering in a regular-sized hanging basket in my summer heat. Here is a video of me dragging the dog out to see them on this very wet day.

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Re: Favorite hanging basket types?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:11 pm

I am also growing Shimofuri and Spanish Dancer this year!

Bajaja, Maskotka, 42 Days, Red Profusion, and Tumbling Tom Junior Yellow are hanging basket / tumblers I think are tasty.

When I grew Tumbling Tom Junior Yellow I was disappointed by the flavour - until I fried one! It is one of the nicest frying tomatoes I've ever tasted.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:41 pm

I didnt know there was a junior tumbling tom, must be new. Tumbling tom grows the prettiest plant. The red isnt that great to eat, yellow is a little better.

For flavor, I like anmore treasures and terrenzo f1.

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:25 pm

Cole_Robbie wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:41 pm I didnt know there was a junior tumbling tom, must be new. Tumbling tom grows the prettiest plant. The red isnt that great to eat, yellow is a little better.

For flavor, I like anmore treasures and terrenzo f1.
Nah Tumbling Tom Yellow Junior has been around at least a decade. But it is harder to get in the last few years as I think it's been taken off the market.

ddsack
Reactions:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:04 pm

I agree with Anmore Treasures, nice drapy habit and decent taste.

zendog
Reactions:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:29 pm

Wow, that Anmore Treasures looks great. I'm going to have to add that to my list for next year.

[mention]Hatgirl[/mention] I'll be curious to see how Shimofuri and Spanish Dancer grow, so I hope you'll post pictures of yours as they develop. So far mine are small but showing no signs of any droop. I'm sure they'll eventually tumble forward. It also looks like Spanish Dancer will be a bigger plant than Shimofuri. Mini Parvula is definitely ready to tumble down over the retaining wall - I like the delicate branching growth and think it would be nice in a basket.

Return to “Tomato Talk”