Which oxhearts aren't wispy?

Everything About Tomatoes
Shule
Reactions:

Which oxhearts aren't wispy?

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:53 pm

I've been wanting to know of some non-wispy oxheart tomatoes for a while now. Do you know about any? I'd like to make a list of them.

Here's the list, so far (please let me know if you've seen them wispy before, though):

* George Detsikas Italian Red (Tatiana's verifies that this can be either oxheart or beefsteak; Marsha remembered it being a blunt heart. It wasn't wispy at all when I grew it.)
* Kosovo

And here's the wispy list:
* Golden King of Siberia
* Wes
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

mama_lor
Reactions:

Re: Which oxhearts aren't wispy?

Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:04 am

Wes is wispy. I honestly don't think there are any true hearts not-wispy. By true hearts I mean not blunt hearts, which are just beefsteak tomatoes in disguise.

TXTravis
Reactions:

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:20 pm

Kosovo is definitely not wispy, though this is the first year I've grown it. I had a lot of plants that WERE wispy, but this was not one. Late production of moderate volume. Big fruits. Tasty.
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

GardenGuy00
Reactions:

Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Hungarian Heart is definitely on the wispy list. I think wispiness is near-universal in oxhearts, as [mention]mama_lor[/mention] has pointed out.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:43 am

Orange Russian 117 or whatever it is isn't wispy.
Arguably the best heart tomato on the planet.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Paulf
Reactions:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:03 pm

Arguably...it is great one of three years when it is in my garden. Two of three OR117 is pretty average both taste and production; but that one year, oh my! For the past three years Canadian Heart has been at the top of my list and it is NOT wispy. I will have to begin the descriptions of the hearts grown whether they are wispy or not. Eight hearts in the garden this year. I will need to go out and look.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:02 pm

Wispy, to me, means thin. Almost all RL hearts that I've trialed have varying degrees of wispiness, with leaves much thinner than other types of tomatoes. The branches can be longer, sometimes drooping down, sometimes angling almost straight down before turning upward later in their growth.

The Pl leaf hearts that I've seen, simply have less branches than Pl plants with different types of fruit. Other than that, they grow like those other PL types.

Paulf
Reactions:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Tormato's description is one I trust. The hearts growing in my garden this year have a combination of regular leaf and potato leaf and most have a degree of "thinness" as compared to the non-hearts.

Regular leaf hearts with leaves thinner than my other RL varieties: Anzela Gigante, Orange Russian #117, Babushka Byka, Yasha Yugoslavian, Sherly's Portuguese.

Regular Leaf hearts with leaves the same as the other RL plants: Blitznetsky, Koral Londona

Potato leaf heats with leaves the same as the PL tomatoes: Hungarian Heart, Heshpole.

Nine varieties this year with about seventy more varieties in inventory. I may make a dent in this thread before....

Return to “Tomato Talk”