Support for Rosella Purple and similar size dwarts

Everything About Tomatoes
Salaam
Reactions:

Support for Rosella Purple and similar size dwarts

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:24 pm

I sometimes plant dwarfs in my front yard and I don't want any cages there. Until recently, I've let them just sprawl on the sunbelt fabric. The plants slowly and gently laid on to the fabric, but of course there was the usual wastage of tomatoes lying on the ground, even if it's landscape fabric.

This year I started from seed and got plants with much stronger stems and taller than other years. I put them out in my back yard a month early in a low tunnel, and they grew great, but perhaps too much, because three of them snapped at the base and several of them had their stems crack a bit instead of gently bending onto the ground.

For next year, the rotation calls for them to be in the front yard with no cages. Should I transplant smaller seedlings and let them sprawl on the ground, or should I try a Florida weave? Would a Florida weave work, or would I have problems with stems growing perpendicular to the weave, and fruit clusters that are too heavy?
Zone 5A

HL2601
Reactions:

Re: Support for Rosella Purple and similar size dwarts

Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 pm

I think a Florida weave would work well! Dwarfs rarely sprawl outwards too far or are unwieldy for me. You may hav to do several levels of weaves depending on which Dwarfs you choose, as some are taller than others. Go for it!

Return to “Tomato Talk”