Brown Berry vs. Chocolate Pear

Everything About Tomatoes
Shule
Reactions:

Brown Berry vs. Chocolate Pear

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Has anyone here grown both Brown Berry and Chocolate Pear? Were their flavors similar? How did they compare? Which one was more prolific for you?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Brown Berry vs. Chocolate Pear

Tue May 24, 2022 3:09 pm

@Past-self, I've grown them both, and no, their flavors are not similar at all. Brown Berry was more prolific, but Chocolate Pear was almost as prolific on its most prolific year. Chocolate Pear tasted better, IMO, but Brown Berry had a stronger flavor (but it was an aquired taste for me; Chocolate Pear did not have an aquired taste, and there was nothing I had to get used to about it). Brown Berry was very sweet. Chocolate Pear can be very sweet, but wasn't every time I grew it.

The fruit color is different, too. Chocolate Pear is like the color of a brown Dachshund dog. Brown Berry is closer to the color of chocolate (with more gray in it than the Dachshund color has). Brown Berry has the darker color.

Brown Berry was prolific enough that I'm tempted to grow it again. It's a decently-sized cherry (not a small one), which is nice. Chocolate Pear probably has larger fruits, but the difference in size isn't what I would call enormous.

I think I actually can aquire the taste of Brown Berry, though, which is another reason I might want to grow it again.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Talk”